Rad Armor/Martial Arts: 45% Melee, Ranged, AoE, 90% resists.

Sovera

11 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

I hate when people bring super low DPS toons to events (particularly of the controller/tanker variety) that either are totally superfluous or end up dead/aren't really contributing overall in terms of effectiveness.

10 hours ago, Sovera said:

I have no ill will for R0y, zero, but he and other players like him take that pride in being low damage and super sturdy. Which is fine. Hey, there's room for everyone and it's not like we even have damage meters.

All these assumptions about me based on one small sentence:  I'm not a "mostly proc" kind of player.

Yowza.

• 2 weeks later

Just hit 50 on my Rad/MA tank. 

Once I get Gauntleted Fist and the ranged Winter set slotted and Superior I'll be at 90% resist to everything but Cold and Psi without needing Barrier. And according to my quick math I'll be softcapped to S/L/F/C and really close on E/N. 

I just unlocked my Alpha slot and have been waffling on what I want to go with. Torn between Musculature and Agility (more for the recharge than the defense). 

So far I've been virtually immortal. 

I don't have an active MIds build for him, as I have discovered that I build characters better by the seat of my pants in-game. 

• 4 weeks later

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Tanker to take to 50 which would be my first on Live or HC and after reviewing various forums I've settled on Rad/MA. I have a Rad Scrapper so know the set well and I've been encouraged by this thread. Below is my current suggested build and I'd appreciate any critique. I've not placed KB>KD proc in Dragon's Tail as the tool tip states it is already a KD, is this true as I've seen them in other builds?:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Martial Arts
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Thunder Kick -- AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(A)
Level 2: Proton Armor -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(5), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(7), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Ags-Psi/Status(9)
Level 4: Storm Kick -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(17)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 8: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 10: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(21), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(50), Pnc-Heal(50)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- GifoftheA-Def(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(13), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(15)
Level 16: Crane Kick -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(25), FrcFdb-Rechg%(33)
Level 18: Radiation Therapy -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(34), TchoftheN-Heal(34)
Level 20: Dragon's Tail -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(25), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), FrcFdb-Rechg%(33)
Level 22: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 24: Particle Shielding -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(36), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(36), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(46), NmnCnv-Heal(46), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(48)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(27)
Level 28: Weave -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(29), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 30: Focus Chi -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Build%(40)
Level 32: Beta Decay -- AchHee-DefDeb(A), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(34), AchHee-ResDeb%(43)
Level 35: Meltdown -- PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(36)
Level 38: Crippling Axe Kick -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Hct-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Ground Zero -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(43)
Level 44: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(48)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

These are my current totals, pre-Incarnates:

image.png.ec34c17fb4497456f602be248233f22d.png

I actually started with Rad/MA, but eventually I switched over to Rad/Staff.

There were two issues.

The first is that while Dragon's Tail is one of the best AE in a melee set, there's nothing to back it up. Electrifying Fences and Ball Lightning do a fraction of the dps of the AE in the melee sets due to their relatively long recharge times. In contrast, Staff can just sit there constantly rotating AE that do twice the damage of EF/BL.

The second is that Storm Kick's defensive bonuses aren't actually what Tankers need.

In most cases, resist-based Tankers don't need AoE defense at all. AoE damage is generally lighter than other forms of damage and - most importantly - rarely carries debuffs that the Tanker particularly cares about. If they do carry those debuffs, they tend to be infrequent rather than piling up on the Tanker.

Resist-based Tankers potentially need some ranged defense. Again, it's mainly an issue of debuffs rather than damage. Ranged damage tends to be lighter than melee damage and can be easily soaked by high resists. What you're really worried about are things like Dark Blasts that debuff you - and you can generally just eat an inspiration if you're close enough to soft cap.

On the other hand, resist-based Tankers need ridiculous amounts of melee defense. Melee is where virtually all the damage comes from and its where most of the defense debuffs come from (and Lethal is most of the rest). Since it's impossible to build for DDR on a resist-based Tanker, the only solution is bewilderingly large amounts of Melee/Lethal defense - and that's precisely what abilities like Guarded Spin give since (unlike Storm Kick) they can be enhanced and stack on repeated applicable. Having 0% DDR is a big problem when you're stuck at 45% Melee Defense. It's not so much a concern when you've got 70%+ Melee/Lethal Defense.

Just put some procs in Rad Therapy,  Ground Zero and Dark Obliteration. 

theft of essence proc goes well in Rad Therapy for endurance management plus some damage procs.

My Rad/DM Tanker keeps up with Scrappers all day lol and is more survivable.  And can farm better than most Fire farming brutes.