Seriously: Alt-itis, What To Do? A Discussion on Self-Control

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

Dammmmmn.  I'm still at 34 characters.  I need to stop fussing over whether or not I have "overlapping powersets", etc and just Make Moar Alts.

Spreadsheet.

Sure I have a few regen sents but they all have different primaries.  The one dupe I have is dual pistols/martial combat blaster because its so much fun but I may reroll the second one to eliminate the duplication because it bothers me.

• Like 3

I'm at 22 characters with 13 of them at 50. I have 1 50 of each AT apart from VEATs, a Warshade and a Mastermind. Altitis isn't so much an issue for me as getting the right powerset/concept combo working...

Doctor Chronometer for example, has had lots of attempts at different powersets and been rerolled a few times. Now going through as a Grav/Time. My Tank - British Steel - was Inv/SS back in the day and I found it boring, so when the servers opened, I went Invuln/Rad. All the way to 50+3. Hated it. Rerolled it in Feb and have just taken him back to 50+3 as Wpr/En which is more suited to the theme.

BuzzBee is a bee themed toon but I can't find a powerset combo or AT that I'm happy with. Currently trialling a Rad/Plant blaster. Same for Seraphima who is a demon based fire character. Was Fire/Fire blaster back in the day, and now is a Dark/Fire Dom. I wanted Cryonica to be a cold based character, but after levelling her to 50 as an Ice blaster I hated the delay in some of the Ice blasts and rerolled her as an Ice/Spines tank.

It's a great game 🙂

• Like 1

Well crap!

I just reviewed this thread, and unless I'm blind, I didn't bother posting a link of my own?

How silly of me!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10583-vileterrors-roleplay-characters-as-of-2020-04-27/

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18342-list-of-character-lists/

Note:  Previously mentioned "Diabolical Plan" is still on the horizon.  The project had to take a back seat while I was busy helping someone start up a Dark Heresy tabletop campaign.

Edited by ImpousVileTerror
Additional Note.
  • Like 1

'About half-way through building the iToys for #32 now (That would be Thaelian, the Sonic/Rad Defender)...

... And I already have a plan in mind for #33. 

*facepalms again*

Still, that Darkity-Dark Blaster will give me three complete pages on Everlasting. My active unwillingness to start a whole new page might be just enough to let me call the collection of magi *DONE* and not add any more... If that's the case, I'm not sure what I'll get up to next.

The non-Oranbegan/assorted-mythic-thing 50's that I moved over to Torch to run with friends there are fine on their own. I don't feel the need to add anyone new on that server. Mina, Carwyn, Red Traveller and Shonokin are good as they are.

Maybe I'll move Harry over and revisit the unfinished (and basically abandoned-) flock of "bird-things" I left on Excelsior. It's been over a year since I even looked at those characters. I've never even included them in "the count". Of course, if I end up finishing ALL of them... I'll end up with a crew of 45. Ooof. o_0

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 5/7/2020 at 12:42 PM, tripthicket said:

That means, among other things, that despite the differences in the powersets and the needed playstyles for each, I'm running the same small pool of content over and over and over again. That's a great recipe for burnout, so I'm stepping back and assessing things. I love playing this game, but if i get to a point where I don't care much about playing (the same ol' stuff, again), then that's a problem.

You can avoid repeating the same content so much.  Most level ranges, possibly all, have multiple zones to run in.

You can start in Atlas which if you ignore Matthew Habashy.  Just run into city hall and go to the department for your origin and keep clicking people until you find the contact.  Or start in Praetoria.  There are 4 story arcs in each zone.  2 Loyalists and 2 Resistance.  If you go to Praetoria, you there until you hit lvl 20 and get an option of going Hero or Villain.  You can still access Pocket D though.  Primal Earth heroes/villians won't get contacts in Preitoria but can team with Praetorians for missions.

At level 5 or 6 you can follow directions to Kings Row or run to the Hollows and speak to David Wincott to start the story there and unlock the Trial.  Hollows will take you up to lvl 15.

At lvl 10 you have the choice of Steel Canyon or Skyway.  If you don't get contacts for the right zone, use the radio, do the safeguard and get offered a new contact in that zone.  At lvl 15 you can choose to go to Faultline and follow that story arc up to lvl 25.  Just go find Jimmy Tremblor (Faultline) save Fusionette a few times, then go save Penelope Yin's father, then find out what really happened to Faultline, and finally thwart Arachnos.  

At lvl 20, you can choose Talos, Independence Port, Striga or First Ward.  First Ward has it's own story going.  Croatoa starts about lvl 24 or so.

Lvl 30 has Founder's, Brickstown, and Night Ward.  Night Ward has a story arc.  

Lvl 35 you can join Vanguard in the RWZ and travel to Cimerora to fight aliens, Nazis and Romans.

Lvl 40 seems to shove you into Peregrine at least on paper but a lot of the 35+ content will continue to 50.  

Lvl 50 and incarnates have Dark Astoria with its associated story arc, Number Six in the RWZ, iTrials, and 2 TFs.  All of which is co-op.

Then there still is redside content.  I won't go into redside here.  But the stories are often better than early blueside content.  Additionally, First Ward and Night Ward are co-op zones.

The point is there is so much content in this game no one character could do it all without being lvl 50 and exemping down or using flashbacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roleki said:

I'm still trying to figure out what this altitis is.

It's never max leveling/power a character before creating another.  Example:  I have 3 lvl 50's but I have over 35 characters total.  I don't finish off a character before starting another.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wicko said:

It's never max leveling/power a character before creating another.  Example:  I have 3 lvl 50's but I have over 35 characters total.  I don't finish off a character before starting another.

Nooot necessarily...

There's more than one way to be an altaholic.

Like I said, I'm currently working on incarnating Alt #32 in my crew.  All of the others? Finished 50s. They have their set-builds, their iToys and all that. I complete one before I move on to another.

What makes an altaholic is just *HAVING* that cast-of-dozens (or hundreds), not how your character list ended up that way, or how many will  or won't ever see completion. XD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

CoH is the game that introduced me to altitis, and it's chronic. On Excelsior alone I have over 115 characters, about half are lower than lvl 20, dozen or so 50's(most IO'd), couple of "themed" character types with 6-20+ similar characters. I have a 50 sitting on every other server along with a couple dozen or more other alts for that server, too.

It's not enough. I will think of another name or look or powerset combo and off I'll go at the character creator. New alts are the biggest part of the game to me. Some will go on to know true power, others will dwell on the shelf forever. It's the nature of the beast... hmm, nature? Beast? Well I'm off to make a new Beast/Nature MM.

Laters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What, me worry?

3 minutes ago, Mopery said:

CoH is the game that introduced me to altitis, and it's chronic. On Excelsior alone I have over 115 characters, about half are lower than lvl 20, dozen or so 50's(most IO'd), couple of "themed" character types with 6-20+ similar characters. I have a 50 sitting on every other server along with a couple dozen or more other alts for that server, too.

It's not enough. I will think of another name or look or powerset combo and off I'll go at the character creator. New alts are the biggest part of the game to me. Some will go on to know true power, others will dwell on the shelf forever. It's the nature of the beast... hmm, nature? Beast? Well I'm off to make a new Beast/Nature MM.

Laters.

i was going to say something very similar, i also have well over 100 toons and about 20 of them are 50 and about 11 of them are well built.

long story short...you are not alone!

• Like 1

Same here.

I filled all my character slots on Indom.

So here was my decision:

I had already recreated my 4 main characters from live, got incarnate slots open etc.

I picked one and have played her exclusively for the past two months aside from base building.

It has been interesting to not only  reach T4 in all my incarnates, but working on other ones.

Working thru Ouro to get badges.

As I head to the end of June ... I will be switching to ...we will see

Edited by JasperStone
  • Like 1

/e poofgone

59 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Same here.

So here was my decision:

I had already recreated my 4 main characters from live, got incarnate slots open etc.

I picked one and have played her exclusively for the past two months aside from base building.

It has been interesting to not only  reach T4 in all my incarnates, but working on other ones.

I can't even imagine that.  I play a character for 20 minutes or until they get a Catalyst, whichever comes first, then switch to something else.  I like the builds too much to leave them in the garage for more than a couple days.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

Same here.

So here was my decision:

You...filled....ALL.....your character slots on Indom.   1000.  

*faints*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 60 alts, 17 of which are level 50. Only a handful have incarnates, and some toons will sadly be seldom played ever again. I enjoyed levelling them up, but I'm not enamoured enough to earn their incarnates. Of the 43 remaining, I currently play 3 (Levels 40, 33, and 14) plus my main and one whose incarnates I'm trying to complete... because altitis can be demanding on the inf. I have three that are stuck in their late 20s because I'm not enjoying them as much as I thought--either that or I can't get into the groove of their powers/play style yet--so they're "parked" for now. The rest are all below level 10 (as I test drive most of the toons right after costume creation, some more than others), but all of them I plan to play until 50, it's just a matter of which ones are picked for game time. 

I've found that I can only handle 2-3 active alts at any given time, since the controls and play styles tend to confuse me. Plus, I agree about the doing repetitive story arcs being a good recipe for burnout. So one plays mostly blue, one is red, and one does a lot of teaming. Also, I try to keep it as one is ranged, one is melee, and one is support/control so that I have a toon depending on what mood I'm in that day.

I have two ways to keep my altitis at bay: One is not creating new ones until I've levelled up a few all the way to 50. I do play in the costume creator every now and then, but I just save a promising costume without creating a toon. The other is to not reuse a costume piece/power combination over... too much (I can only have three at the most that use a particular type of boots, for example); I could have a DP/Device Blaster but not a DP/Traps Corruptor because it would be basically the same. I could (and do) have a DP/SR, DP/Dark, DP/WP sent, which is fine because those are distinctly different power combos from the /dev. 

To date, I've only played Sentinels and VEATs extensively. I'm just now getting into Blasters/Corruptors and Brutes. I do have some Defenders, Doms, and Trollers waiting in line, but I've never tried them, same with Tanks, Scrappers, Stalkers and MMs, though I don't have ANY toons for those last 4 ATs... yet. 😃

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 1:33 AM, EmmySky said:

The one dupe I have is dual pistols/martial combat blaster because its so much fun but I may reroll the second one to eliminate the duplication because it bothers me.

I redid the second DP/mc blaster and made her a beam rifle/devices blaster.  Still at 100 and not making more til I double my current number of full incarnates!

• Like 1

@EmmySky I’m in awe!

Restraint is an overrated quality in many areas (except when it’s not). I prefer to make as many characters as I can at whim, then cull them with ferocity after a time. Create like Pollack; edit like Faulkner.

Generally, I pick an AT and power set combo to theme, spend too much time in the costume creator, then an inordinate amount of time in MIDs working up a build that helps the (invariably poor) powerset combination function. But that’s what I like. I’ve never had much enjoyment  any other way.

Edited by Nyghtmaire
  • Like 2

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I have at least 4o characters on Torchbearer, and a few on every server except Reunion.  I can't say I neglect them; 25 of the Torchbearer characters and one on Excelsior are level 50, and most have all incarnates unlocked and veteran levels in double digits. 

I often find that characters I made without a serious plan or on a whim are the most engaging.  I didn't have a plan when I made Ice Minstrel, an ice/plants blaster, and tool Plants as a secondary because I wanted to check it out.   Turns out there's a fair amount of synergy and a lot of control there.   Circe of Aeaea, plants/poison controller, was where I finally found a controller I liked, was made on a whim because I was reading a novel about Circe.  Lots of debuff without worrying about the longevity of an 'anchor' mob.  Pomba Gira was another whim, recreation of a Victory character (dual blades/fire brute) that was inspired because I was reading, about Brazilian folklore.  This character is now my chief marketer and moneymaker.   

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:16 AM, CaptTastic said:

The test server helped my altitis. 

As it should, it's the fastest way to play something you don't want to "feel out" or just want to see in action right away (AT based on another alt, just new costume really, etc).

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)