Costume Coloring - Transparent

You may want to play with the "/noparticles 1" and "/noparticles 0" commands to see if they can help. I'll use them from time to time when I get TOO many buffs / AoE stacking up on and around me (mostly on my melee characters). It causes other problems with seeing effects in the game, but if you macro it up for each you can toggle it quickly.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I cant play this game for an extended period of time - the graphical effects are way over the top and tend to give me a headache.

It would be nice to have a "minimal" setting to tone down or totally eliminate graphical effects from other player's powers.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, Solvernia said:

You can already do this. It's possible to cancel most temporary buffs like shields/etc by right clicking them under your health bar and selecting 'cancel'.

Your suggestion does not meet the criteria, why would a fire tanker turn off fire shield in order to see what she is doing? Turning protections strikes me of rather dumb, especially when in combat.

The suggestion was not about cancelling temporary buffs, it was about being able to see thru powers that you can't turn off the FX portion of the game.

Hugs

Sue

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, Solvernia said:

But there's always the occasional person that forgets to change their ice shields to minimal FX. There's no harm or shame in suggesting that they do so, and there's also no harm or shame in removing those buffs so that your personal experience of the game is improved as a result.

I agree that you have every right to suggest that I use minimal Fx.  

I will always refuse any such suggestion however.  I would find that to be in the same league as demanding that I change my costume because you dislike a certain style of cape, or because you dislike a certain aura that I use.  My powers are an intrinsic part of my character, no less than their costume.  You do not get to choose my selections at Icon.

If it becomes a problem that you cannot accept, then I would whichever of us joined the team more recently to drop the team. 

On 5/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, ZacKing said:

this is why the OP asked for a way to make these transparent for him only.

This, I can get behind.  I do not object to individual players controlling what they see on their screen.  Ideally I'd want this something the player could fine-tune, declining to render one animation or effect but not another.  I have no idea how that would get implemented.  For buffs, maybe a right click option "Do not display buff FX" / "Resume display of buff FX".  Trickier for things like the electrocution animations on electrical affinity though. 

• Like 2

I think this should have been an option from the get-go from Null the Gull...

"What can you do?" -> "Could I retain team buffs, but not see them on myself?" -> Boom

No harm, no foul. I would never cancel someone's buffs, especially to reiterate what @Replacement said about feeling like they're "dead weight" essentially because of people cancelling the mechanics of their buff. Thermal and Ice's buffs are very helpful.

That aside, I really hate how the glacial shields look on fire-based characters or biological (nature/bio armor) ones. That's no fault to the person that cast them on me, that is purely how *I* feel, and for game play purposes, I keep them on. To accommodate a large majority of the player-base, I think there should be a transparent effects option like the OP suggested. Even a step further, I think there should be options for aura powers to just *not* be a thing visually at all. I love Fiery Aura and Bio Armor mechanically, but visually, they can completely overpower my characters (yes even on Bio's minimal effects, those horribly dark "pom poms" are extremely annoying to fit costumes around for concepts I have or visuals I actually enjoy).

I really don't even see a reason as to why someone would really oppose such an idea, this is so widely accepted universally and so highly requested in volume, it would be a shame to not be implemented, I really would hope ideas like this that are just QoL visual effects take some priority over "nerf this!"