Running between zones hero side

madmalkav

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Originally you could only do that in Steel Canyon.  The Skyway City Green Line station was added in...  Issue 10 or 11 I think.

Yeah I remember that being added.. I think.

The green and yellow lines were a good way of separating the higher and lower level zones too. All aboard the high level train!

I think that’s another thing I dislike about the rogue isle, the transport was not as fun and different distracts of a city is more appealing to me than different islands of archipelago...

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

So yesterday I had to defeat 40 Rikti in the sewers...given by security cheif in steel.  I ran from steel to skyway, in the sewers, before I realized it meant abandoned sewers.  Nice little side trip though 😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Travel to missions is part of the fun of CoH, as travel here is SUPER, and really not that long. You get to explore, get badges find plaques go save a hostage or fight for a different part of the city. It's truly an open world.

This game was meant for the open world to be alive and traversed. It's part of the story, where they send you to.

The travel powers are a real part of what makes CoH characters to me feel different from other MMOs, they're so thematic, and I can't bear to make a character without one. An angel with a jetpack and ninja run? That's a nah from me.

Exploring the zone in three dimensions is still an utter joy for me. I'll cross Mercy Island by leaping from rooftop to rooftop, or see if I can get to the top of the Grandville Tower and get Master of the Airwaves with just Super Jump. I'll fly up to the top of skyscrapers in Steel Canyon just to see what's on the roof.

I still need to get round to make a /energy blaster with Teleport and Boost Range 3-slotted, just cause I've always wanted one.

4 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

The green and yellow lines were a good way of separating the higher and lower level zones too. All aboard the high level train!

Even separating the Ferries for the Rogue Isles would help in this regard.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I think I'm going to have to be the counter-unpopular-opinion here and say that no, excessive travel always sucked, sucks, and will forever suck. When I'm in the mood to explore the environment, it's a joy, particularly in this lavishly detailed day/night-cycle one to do so. But when I want to get to the action for some leveling, I'm deeply grateful for all of the teleport and rapid travel options and don't even feel the need to macro that base teleport command. The devs chose wisely. CoH in its current state is a perfect balance, IMO.

I also disagree with the OP. You don't have to cross zones as much red-side but the zones are massive and travel times feel a lot longer typically. The arcs are definitely a lot more fun by and large though.

4 minutes ago, Pherdnut said:

But when I want to get to the action for some leveling, I'm deeply grateful for all of the teleport and rapid travel options and don't even feel the need to macro that base teleport command.

What do you do when Instant Gratification isn't fast enough?

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

8 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

What do you do when Instant Gratification isn't fast enough?

I smell the flowers. Explore. Pay a visit to the new zone whose only current function is costume contests. Sometimes fly up to check on the blimp. Or have one of my creepier characters just follow a random pedestrian on the map for a while. Or animation-macro the !@#$ out of my main's minions. Pretty damned amusing stuff. But I'm a UI developer. Forcing people to interact with your product in an artificial/needless way is just begging to lose interest. Some travel makes sense. It makes the world more real. But trekking across the first red-side map without a flight or jump travel power is a serious drag. It's always a design-mistake, IMO. Especially in a game as alt-worthy as this one always has been.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pherdnut said:

just follow a random pedestrian on the map for a while.

I do this using Beast Run  on a headless crab spider build. I have stopped other players dead in their tracks trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Truly unsettling.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Techwright said:

Even our train stations evolved.  It used to be that we'd travel the yellow line then cross a zone to get on the green line.  A third line, the red line, was destroyed in the war.  At some point the devs just threw up their hands and merged everything.  I kind of always wished the red line had been partially resurrected, and remained separate.

A reference from the past:spacer.png

• Like 2

Cool. I forgot the base teleport code. Maybe I’ll abuse that on my char that didn’t take a travel power and remember to prioritize travel powers on my other heroes. I didn’t take it since after playing red and gold a bit, I just wasn’t using it much. But I don’t mind just running around a bit with travel powers. I’ll be sure to do that on a hero to get that world feel.