Making a Captain America style hero?

Mythus54

On 8/5/2019 at 10:35 PM, Twisted Toon said:

I believe that shield is the Vanguard shield. It'll expand an energy barrier to make a larger surface, when deployed. Currently, it looks to be in its collapsed state.

It is.  Running any power from the Shield set will deploy it. About the only time you see it non-deployed like this is in Character Creator.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, Mythus54 said:

I don't mean a full ripoff, I'm making an original character, but I do love the whole "melee with fists and a shield" idea. I know DCUO even made it a dedicated combat style if you paid extra for it.

So I know the shield bit can be a secondary power for a scrapper, but I can't decide on Martial Arts or Street Justice for my melee...

Street justice seems like the obvious first choice.  It has a combo system that you want to acquaint yourself with, so you can get the most out of the powerset, but it's not really that complicated if you read the power descriptions.  Martial arts does offer punching animations as alternatives to the kicks for most attacks.  One thing nice thing about martial arts is that for tankers and brutes, one of the early powers, storm kick, applies a defense buff to you, which pairs nicely with shield defense.  I also wouldn't rule out super strength - it's a fairly straight-forward set, but if you're willing to deal with the occasional 10-second "crash", one of its defining powers "rage" is quite good.

While not 100% up to date, here are some references that may be helpful:

Primary power sets

Secondary power sets

Edited by biostem