Is work on page 6 ongoing or stalled?

aethereal

Some excellent points, @Jimmy.

Has the Homecoming Team discussed the possibility of incentivizing testing with in-game rewards on the Live Shards, though?

ie:  Player who engages in X number of minutes of Beta testing, following the guidelines set out by the Devs, receives XY Merits in their in-game email on the Live Shard servers.

Obviously this is just a slapdash model to express the idea.  Detailing the method would be more involved, and questions as to whether players would exploit this or not would need to be examined.

I just think that in an environment where you can't pay people for their serious, professional work . . . maybe you can at least offer them something in gratitude or to inspire those players to be testers in those moment when you really need them?

• City Council
1 minute ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Has the Homecoming Team discussed the possibility of incentivizing testing with in-game rewards on the Live Shards, though?

ie:  Player who engages in X number of minutes of Beta testing, following the guidelines set out by the Devs, receives XY Merits in their in-game email on the Live Shard servers.

Obviously this is just a slapdash model to express the idea.  Detailing the method would be more involved, and questions as to whether players would exploit this or not would need to be examined.

It's been thought about, but simply put it just wouldn't be worth the time it would take to develop - the issues you've already mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg.

3 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I just think that in an environment where you can't pay people for their serious, professional work . . . maybe you can at least offer them something in gratitude or to inspire those players to be testers in those moment when you really need them?

That's why we try to drum up excitement when we think public testing will be worthwhile. It's also why this post was written - we wanted to communicate that testing is just as valuable as donating money. We are incredibly grateful to everyone that contributes - be it time, money, or both. We just don't always have the time to post in every bug report or feedback thread (as that's a lot more time consuming that just reading them).

We also do sometimes award the Bug Hunter badge to those that put serious work into reporting bugs, but that's an informal / discretionary process - generally it's awarded when a developer feels that an individual has gone above and beyond in helping us resolve an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
23 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Would you be willing to elaborate on some more of the details of that iceberg?

It starts with a very simple question and you should be able to figure the rest out on your own: How do you know if someone is actually doing useful testing?

Keeping asking how? for every answer. You'll get the idea.

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I suppose my primary concern isn't the manual testing, it's rather the Homecoming community at large being disconnected from design decisions up until after quite a few people have spent time working on the new feature. You can keep the testing of potentially bug-inducing code in closed beta (though i wouldn't unless you have professionals), but the Homecoming community should be in the loop regarding concept and design before time is spent developing and testing. Right now the only community in that loop is the same community that kept the game hidden from us for years.

Take the Dark Melee changes for example. If Captain Powerhouse simply stated his intentions for Dark Melee and opened up a dialogue before putting the time into adding it into the game and testing it, a lot of time and effort could have been saved.

• Like 1

Kind of depends - I've had pies that could rival certain cheesecakes.  I dislike overly-dry cheesecakes like chocolate ones and so on.  My favorite is plain cheesecake with cherry pie filling on top.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 7/20/2020 at 3:40 PM, ImpousVileTerror said:

By their reports, I would assume, like in regular professional QA.

As someone who is a professional QA, it's testing and re-testing issues and doing things like black box testing, regression testing, integration testing, functional testing, and other things that are simply not just "playing with the tool/game", or ooohing and ahhing at the "new shinies" or using it regularly. In doing so you keep asking about how things work, why they work certain ways and if they match the Acceptance Criteria laid out for the change, enchantment, upgrade, new feature/function.

If I had a 25th hour of the day I would help out more with this testing.

Unfortunately I don't. And after spending 40-60 hours a week, I just want to hop on COH and just play.

More power to those in the internal, pre-public testing test who are squashing the king kong sized bugs before they get to us. 

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, Auroxis said:

I suppose my primary concern isn't the manual testing, it's rather the Homecoming community at large being disconnected from design decisions up until after quite a few people have spent time working on the new feature. You can keep the testing of potentially bug-inducing code in closed beta (though i wouldn't unless you have professionals), but the Homecoming community should be in the loop regarding concept and design before time is spent developing and testing. Right now the only community in that loop is the same community that kept the game hidden from us for years.

Take the Dark Melee changes for example. If Captain Powerhouse simply stated his intentions for Dark Melee and opened up a dialogue before putting the time into adding it into the game and testing it, a lot of time and effort could have been saved.

I agree to a point. HC needs to focus on a path that they feel is best for their server. And I say their as they are the ones putting in the major work. Ultimately we only play here because we prefer it. And we are certainly NOT sure that the highlighted above is in fact true.  That's simply a conspiracy theory.  MY understanding was that some players who play here in HC, and have been good with typical testing are the ones involved, based on the actual words JImmy just posted.

Only SOME things should be design by committee. And most things shouldn't be.

For the Dark Melee changes I would perhaps have asked what folks thought of maybe three possible design directions and gone with the one that had the most positive feedback. 

Edited by golstat2003

• Retired Developer

I can assure you that when it arrives, it will be like pie and cake and custard. Together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

• Retired Developer

I am unsure if a blood sugar imbalance is a damage type in the game, but I'll look into it!

• Thanks 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

• Retired Developer

This looks like a Monument to a Rularuu Keebler Elf, lmao 😄

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

As someone who is a professional QA, it's testing and re-testing issues and doing things like black box testing, regression testing, integration testing, functional testing, and other things that are simply not just "playing with the tool/game", or ooohing and ahhing at the "new shinies" or using it regularly. In doing so you keep asking about how things work, why they work certain ways and if they match the Acceptance Criteria laid out for the change, enchantment, upgrade, new feature/function.

If I had a 25th hour of the day I would help out more with this testing.

Unfortunately I don't. And after spending 40-60 hours a week, I just want to hop on COH and just play.

More power to those in the internal, pre-public testing test who are squashing the king kong sized bugs before they get to us. 

I'm a sysadmin who works with QA and can confirm.  Defect finding and regression testing can be mind-numbing work.  There's no cake, just a lot of broccoli and Brussel sprouts.

• Haha 3

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

23 minutes ago, skoryy said:

I'm a sysadmin who works with QA and can confirm.  Defect finding and regression testing can be mind-numbing work.  There's no cake, just a lot of broccoli and Brussel sprouts.

I don’t know.  The bug that was on the Homecoming beta server last autumn where Ion Judgement would endlessly loop until every mob was dead, sometimes crashing maps, was pretty nice cake. 😄 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:18 PM, Auroxis said:

Again, this. I've made this point before and on Live. Why not ask the players what they'd prefer for the game? I don't mean to disrespect the Devs here but this game runs if people enjoy it. So far you guys are doing great. You communication and transparency is miles ahead of the Live devs (player numbers etc) but I think lots of stuff is left in a shroud...

So, allow me to ask this: I know you don't want to expand the Dev team until you have an official game license. That may take forever. So, why not expand the Dev team and add small pieces of content on a more regular basis? You're adding items to the game anyway so why not just have some volunteers start helping and put that stuff on the side servers. It sounds like you guys have had this running for years and could have added significant new material - maybe you have and are waiting for the license...I don't know. But if you guys are able, maybe get us volunteers up and helping. Now is the time - I'm kinda bored...pandemic and all...

It'd be great to add multiple ITF level trials/SFs/Tfs...more DFB type runs....arcs....radios...etc. Let us help! :)

Again, no disrespect intended here but it seems like some are eager to volunteer and have even more time to help.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Coyote said:

How about a compromise? Let him play-test the cake 😄 

Just warn him that it may have bugs in it 🙂

0      Flea is not a cannibal....though Im fairly certain he does have some Zombie toons so...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Why not ask the players what they'd prefer for the game?

That's what the Suggestions and Feedback forum are for. Those ideas, if approved, get incorporated for experimental testing and eventually may make it to Live.

• Thanks 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn