Is work on page 6 ongoing or stalled?

aethereal

• Retired Developer

I should mention, for a broader frame of reference, I've been working on something since October. OCTOBER.

I started with just costumes and textures... and now... my god... the things I've seen.

Basically I self-taught and deductively reasoned how about 30 different systems work. (Powers, FX, Maps, Behaviors, Sequencers, Villain Groups, Costumes, Textures, Shaders, Geometry, Scripting... to name a few)

I didn't want to annoy any of the other devs with rocket powered question diarrhea so I kept studying what does work and how it works until I could manipulate it myself. I don't believe I can say anymore without @Jimmyslapping me for talking too much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

Well, @holymittens provided us all with some very helpful information regarding mission development a while back, with permission (as I understand it).

If you would be up and willing, @Piecemeal(tm), I think it would be stellar to have your perspective on the development you've done, with as much detail as you're allowed to provide!

In any event, thank you for your time and your open line of communication with us.  It really means a lot!

• Like 1

• Retired Developer
9 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Well, @holymittens provided us all with some very helpful information regarding mission development a while back, with permission (as I understand it).

If you would be up and willing, @Piecemeal(tm), I think it would be stellar to have your perspective on the development you've done, with as much detail as you're allowed to provide!

In any event, thank you for your time and your open line of communication with us.  It really means a lot!

When my thing is closer to testing, I will be doing a proper introduction with many spilled beans scattered to the four winds!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

thank you devs for all the work you do.  I realize this is unpaid effort on your behalf when you could be doing other things.  

I still cannot believe this game is back much less able to be updated, modified and built on.  Thank you again.

Here are some more beans.

Maple & Cured Bacon Baked Beans | BUSH'S® Beans

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 7/23/2020 at 9:06 PM, JayboH said:

Ok, yes, they have forums and feedback threads and suggestion threads. Awesome. I also should have elaborated on my idea. What I would propose is Devs reviewing those ideas then making a list of the top 4 - then have us vote on that. It will become more focused and give us an idea. Anyway, just a thought.

Piecemeal, that's some great non-info. I am excited to see the results. 

I am hoping someone is able to discuss if they're recruiting volunteers and putting stuff on private servers for eventual release. Again, I mean TFs, SFs, Trials, new factions/characters etc. It'd be cool to have a big Issue released 🙂 A double-sized summer special even! I remember those...oh the memories!

12 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I am hoping someone is able to discuss if they're recruiting volunteers and putting stuff on private servers for eventual release.

They are all private servers (Homecoming is also a private server.)

Earlier in the thread it's been said that internal testing for Page 6 is being done on other servers, yes.  Jimmy mentioned the Resurgence (closed beta) server is where some of it is taking place.

They will want feedback when it hits the Homecoming beta server also, whenever that may be.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, Jimmy said:

Many Homecoming players who have provided constructive feedback during the last few rounds of powers testing are also taking part in this test. Once we're more confident in the changes then they'll hit the public beta server for more rigorous testing.

Edited by JayboH

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

10 hours ago, JayboH said:

They are all private servers (Homecoming is also a private server.)

Earlier in the thread it's been said that internal testing for Page 6 is being done on other servers, yes.  Jimmy mentioned the Resurgence (closed beta) server is where some of it is taking place.

They will want feedback when it hits the Homecoming beta server also, whenever that may be.

I get that. I think the main point I'm trying to make is having a focused poll and then putting the additional volunteers to work. This very well could be happening - maybe some volunteers have been recruited. But since a lot of people are home (you know, pandemic) then why not put their skills and time to use. Add a large variety of content.

So far, we haven't seen much actual content in over a year. That's a tough way to go. Several of my friends, who are die-hard CoH players, have left and taken breaks....for a while now. Sadly, the game's 'return' had them pumped for a long time but now they hit the fatigue wall. 

Anyway, I don't think there's much point in countering my points if they're outside this scope 🙂

57 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Don't you consider new power sets and power pools content?

Yes and no. I get what you're saying. However, it doesn't add for things to do. There is still tons to do and that's why I'm still here. I'm just hoping they can add some nice missions, TFs, SFs, trials, DFB-style stuff and so on. 

The other big ask is to add some original stuff. We've seen most of these factions/enemies etc for 10+ years. The Devs didn't do themselves any favors by making Praetoria a mirror universe and having echoes of the same old in that lore. Branch out. All new, all different. Ask the volunteers for ideas and lore - I've reached out to many on the volunteers list and they're stoked to be contributing and some of the ideas are pretty good! I'd like to see new and original...PLEASE! I BEG YOU!  😄

On 7/23/2020 at 5:28 PM, Piecemeal said:

I should mention, for a broader frame of reference, I've been working on something since October. OCTOBER.

I started with just costumes and textures... and now... my god... the things I've seen.

Basically I self-taught and deductively reasoned how about 30 different systems work. (Powers, FX, Maps, Behaviors, Sequencers, Villain Groups, Costumes, Textures, Shaders, Geometry, Scripting... to name a few)

I didn't want to annoy any of the other devs with rocket powered question diarrhea so I kept studying what does work and how it works until I could manipulate it myself. I don't believe I can say anymore without @Jimmyslapping me for talking too much.

I'm unsure how I feel about this.  The tailor has become the rocket scientist.  Isn't that how Elon Musk started out?

On one hand it's a scary thought to think we could shoot off some powers and it just ends up you're tossing your trousers at the enemy.  On the other hand it is such an inspiration, worthy of any late night infomercial.  😀

Edited by Mezmera
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:31 AM, skoryy said:

I'm a sysadmin who works with QA and can confirm.  Defect finding and regression testing can be mind-numbing work.  There's no cake, just a lot of broccoli and Brussel sprouts.

I'm QA right now and I can vouch for this.  Maybe I'll be in a better spot to help out in a couple months but right now COH is a Defender supporting my work/life balance and I need it's support for the moment.  Once I complete another recipe or two in my life I might have the leeway to start helping out a bit with testing.  QA testing is definitely hard and often boring work.  I think everyone should try smoke /sanitytesting a game for 20 hours in a week with a focus on efficiency once to see how big of a gap there is between playing and testing :P.  And that's not even the hard or frustrating stuff haha.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Mezmera said:

I'm unsure how I feel about this.  The tailor has become the rocket scientist.  Isn't that how Elon Musk started out?

On one hand it's a scary thought to think we could shoot off some powers and it just ends up you're tossing your trousers at the enemy.  On the other hand it is such an inspiration, worthy of any late night infomercial.  😀

@Piecemeal I now formally request alternate graphics for energy blast:

TROUSER TOSS

Why energy blast?! TROUSER KNOCKBACK!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, BurtHutt said:

Yes and no. I get what you're saying. However, it doesn't add for things to do. There is still tons to do and that's why I'm still here. I'm just hoping they can add some nice missions, TFs, SFs, trials, DFB-style stuff and so on. 

The other big ask is to add some original stuff. We've seen most of these factions/enemies etc for 10+ years. The Devs didn't do themselves any favors by making Praetoria a mirror universe and having echoes of the same old in that lore. Branch out. All new, all different. Ask the volunteers for ideas and lore - I've reached out to many on the volunteers list and they're stoked to be contributing and some of the ideas are pretty good! I'd like to see new and original...PLEASE! I BEG YOU!  😄

Keep in mind for the last few months America (and much of the world has been affected by COVID). And let's keep in mind that these devs are a completely volunteer team, with REAL day to day DEV jobs.

New content and new factions (plus a new place to put them) would be an excessive amount of work considering what we know about how IRL missions/contacts/etc work being hard coded and not using the AE system.  Unless someone comes up with some sort of hacky but functional way to use better tools I really wouldn't expect new factions/enemies and the zones to put them in.  Having ideas is easy.  It's the implementation that's hard.  Everyone in games has bucketloads of ideas and lore and factions and etc they can come up with, that's not the blocker.  Development within the severe constraints they work under is the blocker.

TBH I expect almost exclusively just balancing and new power sets, maybe a new AT.  And ofc Carp Melee.  Beyond that anything else the devs pull off is an unexpected bonus I'll be super happy about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

But I wanna make a mountain of meat . . . 

You inspired me...

image.thumb.png.504cf87e25ac1778a6826160b80caf9a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn