The name of Infinite Corona (Excelsior) was reset

czis

9 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

No, the name change is not warranted and you are not the arbiter of when it is warranted. the word Corona as a character name for a character who's bio and power theme is not disease related is fine, and forcing them to change it is the act of an idiot.

Kind of have to err on the side of what would be Political Correctness I think.  (in a sane world) 

Lots of people have died.  A lot more will die.  People will be disabled, etc.  

So not allowing Corona makes perfect sense.   I don't see second guessing the GMs on this one.  

On 5/16/2020 at 11:03 PM, ZeeHero said:

No, the name change is not warranted and you are not the arbiter of when it is warranted. the word Corona as a character name for a character who's bio and power theme is not disease related is fine, and forcing them to change it is the act of an idiot.

You're right... *I* am not the arbiter.... the GM's are.  They've spoken.  I'm just agreeing with them. 

People who recognize that the Caronavirus is a global event that is affecting the lives of billions of people, millions tragically so, and then choose act in a manner that respects those most affected by the event are not idiots.  But, the people who don't get it? ...they might be.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

The devs are not wrong for making this change; it is logical given resources and the situation at hand. The word is cool, but not important for us to use. This is just a game, albeit a really fun one. 🙂

Those who continue to use the word corona properly are also not wrong. The primary meaning of corona has not changed, although it may now have a new secondary meaning by connotation. It will still be used in scientific discussions and descriptive language as usual. Context of usage makes a difference.

Side note to Shred Monkey: I apologize if I came across as rude in my previous post. That was not my intention. I respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from. We may not agree completely certain aspects, but that's okay. I want to keep things congenial, not combative.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Black Zot said:

It's a common sport on the internet.

Except it's not restricted to just the internet.

4 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Kind of have to err on the side of what would be Political Correctness I think.  (in a sane world) 

Lots of people have died.  A lot more will die.  People will be disabled, etc.  

So not allowing Corona makes perfect sense.   I don't see second guessing the GMs on this one.  

Personally, I would not use the term "political correctness" in this and lean more towards polite terminology, or respectful word usage. Granted, when you boil it all down to the base meanings, all three pretty much mean the same thing. I find the usage of the phrase "Political Correctness" irritating.

For me, Political Correctness is a form of censorship. I am all about free speech. I try to be respectful of those that I am communicating with and attempt to refrain from using blatantly offensive language. On the other hand, I'm not responsible for you taking offense at my use of the name Radiant Corona for an Energy/Energy <insert AT here> during this pandemic. (also called the WuFlu, Kung Flu, Chinese virus, and Covid-19). I was told once, a long time ago, "No one can offend you, unless you accept the offense."

I don't call this virus the Corona Virus. I call it SARS-CoV-2. Because that is its official designation. There have been more than just this virus that were corona viruses.

In short, if we're going to start restricting  character names because of a virus, then the only naming structure we should be allowed is GenericHero-####. That way, no one will be offended by a name that might reference some event that might be possibly mildly annoying to someone if looked at upside down through a kaleidoscope in a room with no lights on.

I apologize for the rambling nature of the post.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

In short, if we're going to start restricting  character names because of a virus, then the only naming structure we should be allowed is GenericHero-####. That way, no one will be offended by a name that might reference some event that might be possibly mildly annoying to someone if looked at upside down through a kaleidoscope in a room with no lights on.

That's a huge stretch.

The current pandemic is, in addition to hurting and killing a lot of people, kind of tearing apart the US economic system and leaving over thirty million unemployed and millions upon millions stuck in their homes without any sensible leadership. Anti-mask psychos are fighting and killing people over it. So simply calling it a sensitive issue and instituting a blanket rule against use of the word "corona", because the GMs don't want to bother investigating every single case and arguing with people over it, is reasonable enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Blastit said:

That's a huge stretch.

The current pandemic is, in addition to hurting and killing a lot of people, kind of tearing apart the US economic system and leaving over thirty million unemployed and millions upon millions stuck in their homes without any sensible leadership. Anti-mask psychos are fighting and killing people over it. So simply calling it a sensitive issue and instituting a blanket rule against use of the word "corona", because the GMs don't want to bother investigating every single case and arguing with people over it, is reasonable enough.

It's called a slippery slope.

Once you start instituting restrictions for one thing. Then, when something else is deemed, insensitive to use, that gets restricted as well, because a precedent has already been set. Someone somewhere is always finds something offensive and will want it restricted from use.

Where do you draw the line?

Personally, I prefer freedom of choice, over needless restrictions.

In my opinion, this would be considered a needless restriction.

• Like 1

Even as awful as this whole virus situation is, it seems like generic-hammering every character name that includes the word "corona", no matter the context, is an over-reaction...

But it's absolutely an understandable one under the circumstances.

I suspect that no one on the GM/Dev crew has time to "tone police" all of us players the way they would need to in order to enforce that kind of rule fairly with any kind of nuance. And there would, no doubt, be line-dancers who would push to see just HOW close they could come to being offensive while still getting away with it. That's just the nature of the "public access" beast. 

Given that... I don't blame them for the ban, even though it's probably too broad. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

47 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

It's called a slippery slope.

Once you start instituting restrictions for one thing. Then, when something else is deemed, insensitive to use, that gets restricted as well, because a precedent has already been set. Someone somewhere is always finds something offensive and will want it restricted from use.

Where do you draw the line?

Where the people running the Server draw it. 

And try to be understanding about the place they are in hosting the servers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Even as awful as this whole virus situation is, it seems like generic-hammering every character name that includes the word "corona", no matter the context, is an over-reaction...

But it's absolutely an understandable one under the circumstances.

I suspect that no one on the GM/Dev crew has time to "tone police" all of us players the way they would need to in order to enforce that kind of rule fairly with any kind of nuance. And there would, no doubt, be line-dancers who would push to see just HOW close they could come to being offensive while still getting away with it. That's just the nature of the "public access" beast. 

Given that... I don't blame them for the ban, even though it's probably too broad. 

Exactly.  What are they supposed to do, police every idiot making a joke character name with Corona in it?

Easier to just ban it for now.  

46 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Exactly.  What are they supposed to do, police every idiot making a joke character name with Corona in it?

Easier to just ban it for now.  

Or, just to offer a crazy suggestion, grown ups on the internet could act like grown ups and not get hysterical over every little thing that rubs them the wrong way and then demand that the GM's "protect" them.

Edited by Ulysses Dare
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Or, just to offer a crazy suggestion, grown ups on the internet could act like grown ups and not get hysterical over every little thing that rubs them the wrong way and then demand that the GM's "protect" them.

Yeah.

Good luck with that,  

• Like 1

I haven't seen anyone in game or on the forums complain about seeing people with just the word corona in their character name, so this seems mainly like the HC team deciding to apply existing policy for sensitive topics to it of their own volition. So you can challenge them about it, if you wish.

8 hours ago, Blastit said:

Humans can choose to stop at an arbitrary point because it just feels right to stop there.

Which humans are you referring to? The reasonable ones or the unreasonable ones? What arbitrary point would be acceptable to everyone?

7 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Where the people running the Server draw it. 

And try to be understanding about the place they are in hosting the servers.

I understand where they're coming from. Volunteers for a project that a takes a lot of time and effort. I understand why they did a generic ban. I don't really agree with it. But, I understand it.

I've been in management. I know that there are times that there isn't any way to make the right choice.

6 hours ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Acting like a grown up starts at home and requires people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Unfortunately, many people would rather pass the buck.

4 hours ago, Blastit said:

I haven't seen anyone in game or on the forums complain about seeing people with just the word corona in their character name, so this seems mainly like the HC team deciding to apply existing policy for sensitive topics to it of their own volition. So you can challenge them about it, if you wish.

I have no problem with the Devs/GMs deciding to generic people with the word corona in their name. They can generic people with the word alpha in their name. I just want them to be aware of where it could lead. I also take exception to people who are not Devs/GMs who tout such actions as a great idea.

3 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

Which humans are you referring to? The reasonable ones or the unreasonable ones? What arbitrary point would be acceptable to everyone?

I understand where they're coming from. Volunteers for a project that a takes a lot of time and effort. I understand why they did a generic ban. I don't really agree with it. But, I understand it.

I've been in management. I know that there are times that there isn't any way to make the right choice.

Acting like a grown up starts at home and requires people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Unfortunately, many people would rather pass the buck.

I have no problem with the Devs/GMs deciding to generic people with the word corona in their name. They can generic people with the word alpha in their name. I just want them to be aware of where it could lead. I also take exception to people who are not Devs/GMs who tout such actions as a great idea.

I am sure that Corona is far from the only prohibited word in character names.

There are surely a number of words that have been prohibited since the earliest live days on the original servers. 

And somehow we muddle through.  

On 5/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, czis said:

what makes this painful is it was a great cosmic name for a warshade, created before self-quarantining

I haven't seen any less Corona Beer Commercials since this started.

I doubt Toyota will retroactively rename a Car they made for 40+ years.

I imagine there were a lot of people with the first name Adolph back in the 1940s that considered changing their name.

I'm sure Adolph Coors III felt he was defined by his actions and life more than by someone else who shared his first name.

It seems to me that he created the Toon before this was an Issue and that should be taken into consideration.

Edited by Marine X
spelling

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

5 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

There is no such thing as an arbitrary point acceptable to everyone. There is hardly anything that is "acceptable to everyone". If you think that the GMs are going to continue banning word after word because "someone might possibly object" then I think you're very wrong about that.

44 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Latine sæpe loquor; quicquid Latine dictum altius videtur. 

• Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

6 hours ago, Blastit said:

There is no such thing as an arbitrary point acceptable to everyone. There is hardly anything that is "acceptable to everyone". If you think that the GMs are going to continue banning word after word because "someone might possibly object" then I think you're very wrong about that.

I tend to go by the belief that everyone has a modicum of common sense...until they prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of people prove me wrong.

90% of that was from "political correctness", the other 10% was usually preceded by the phrase "Hey, watch this!".

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Not surprised to to find the usual rhetoric deployed to defend being an offensive jerk.

Equally unsurprised—disappointed, but not surprised—to see the the usual tired rationalizations being trotted out to celebrate the suppression of other's speech.

Edited by Ulysses Dare
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I tend to go by the belief that everyone has a modicum of common sense...until they prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of people prove me wrong.

90% of that was from "political correctness", the other 10% was usually preceded by the phrase "Hey, watch this!".

Remember when they renamed Shock Therapy to Electrical Affinity because people were offended because it invoked, like, "trauma" or whatever? And remember how, emboldened by their newfound power, the "I'm Offended"s got the devs to rewrite the entirety of the game so no one could ever take offense to anything ever again? Because it's a slippery slope, and once the political correctness starts, it never stops! Where's the line!

Remember how that didn't happen? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Equally unsurprised—disappointed, but not surprised—to see the the usual tired rationalizations being trotted out to celebrate the suppression of other's speech.

You agree on the suppression of your speech when you sign up for these servers, though. There are rules of conduct that you must follow which already include rules for what you can't name your character.

Additionally, and I'm not sure this has sunk in, but there is a pandemic going on. The suppression of my speech through not being allowed to name MMO characters after a word the name of the virus shares is the very least of my troubles.

Edited by Blastit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1