Atomic Manipulation - Gamma Ray

JamesRocket

Could someone please share the actual numbers for the Gamma Ray effect from Atomic Manipulation? I don't see anything in the Powers:Info or Enhancement:Management screens. It produces trigger text, but doesn't show anything in combat logs. I'd like to be able to judge whether it's worth working Negatron Slam or the immobilization into an attack rotation.

Edited by JamesRocket

Numberwise, or general?
In general, it triggers if you hit a target with both a "negative" and a "positive" atomic attack within a few seconds of each other. It results in a small burst of extra damage, a -ToHit and a -Dam debuff on the target. I recall that the damage was noticeable but not excessive, and I never saw what the debuff was since I would have had to be running the Power Analyzer to check on the debuff values.

I would also like some clarity on this, and not to threadjack... But what is up with Metabolic Acceleration?
It looks like it costs zero endurance, but you can slot basic Endurance Reduction IOs and SO, DO  etc. in it?
What would that accomplish? Does it have a hidden cost?
I almost don't want to bring this to any one's attention because an END-free toggle seems too good to be true and I don't want it looked at too closely!

Huh. AFAIK, all "sustain" toggles should be with 0 Endurance cost. So having it cost no Endurance seems reasonable to me. I don't know why it can slot End Red IOs, it should slot End Mod IOs since it also gives +Recovery, but not End Reduction.

5 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

I would also like some clarity on this, and not to threadjack... But what is up with Metabolic Acceleration?
It looks like it costs zero endurance, but you can slot basic Endurance Reduction IOs and SO, DO  etc. in it?
I almost don't want to bring this to any one's attention because an END-free toggle seems too good to be true and I don't want it looked at too closely!

Yeah, I asked the same question ingame on the help channel a while ago and no one was sure. It's an odd one.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

59 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

I asked the same question ingame on the help channel a while ago and no one was sure. It's an odd one.

I did a little research and @Coyote helped clarify. There is a new Blaster mechanic called "Sustain" that provides a helpful power at little cost. This is ours.

2 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

I did a little research and @Coyote helped clarify. There is a new Blaster mechanic called "Sustain" that provides a helpful power at little cost. This is ours.

No, I get that, but with this one it's not really like it's a legacy issue where it once had an end cost and now doesn't as the sustain mechanic was in the pipeline at the same time, or before, atomic manipulation was released, as far as I can remember.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

On 5/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, Coyote said:

Numberwise, or general?
In general, it triggers if you hit a target with both a "negative" and a "positive" atomic attack within a few seconds of each other. It results in a small burst of extra damage, a -ToHit and a -Dam debuff on the target. I recall that the damage was noticeable but not excessive, and I never saw what the debuff was since I would have had to be running the Power Analyzer to check on the debuff values.

Actual numbers. I know what it says it does, but:
1. I cannot find any values for the debuff to gauge its usefulness.

2. I cannot find any values for the damage.

3. I cannot see any reported numbers from either the floating text during combat or from reports in the combat log.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, Vulpoid said:

It's 0 endurance cost. I'm not sure why it's coded as a toggle and not an auto power, but it is. Several blaster secondaries have a similar toggle.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

On 5/22/2020 at 10:10 AM, JamesRocket said:

I'm not sure why it's coded as a toggle and not an auto power

Several of the sustain powers have effects you would want to turn off in certain situations.  Devices has partial invis, so with it on you couldn't lead a hostage out.   Martial Combat has an AoE speed debuff, so with it you can cause agro and breaking stealth.  (note, both of those powers also cost 0 endurance.)  I don't see anything negative about Metabolic Acceleration but having it be a toggle instead of auto is consistent with other blaster sustain powers.

• Thanks 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

• 7 months later
On 5/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Coyote said:

Numberwise, or general?

I've tried using the power analyzer and I can't see the stats well.

Does anyone have any clear up-to-date info about what Gamma Ray does?  I can't see any mention of extra damage in the combat log nor in the power analyzer, and it's hard to identify (at least for me) the supposed -ToHit and -Dmg debuffs even using the power analyzer.  In short, is it worth trying to create the effect?

1 hour ago, brasilgringo said:

I've tried using the power analyzer and I can't see the stats well.

Does anyone have any clear up-to-date info about what Gamma Ray does?  I can't see any mention of extra damage in the combat log nor in the power analyzer, and it's hard to identify (at least for me) the supposed -ToHit and -Dmg debuffs even using the power analyzer.  In short, is it worth trying to create the effect?

1380107294_Screenshot(339).png.0dd0d0f8aa7ef2dcbeaaecb1a3aba90e.png

Gamma Ray actually debuffs the enemies base accuracy, not to-hit, by a flat 20% regardless of enemy level. It does not infact debuff their damage at least as far as the combat monitor can tell me.
I suppose one could put the debuff on an enemy and test to see if they take less damage while the enemy is under that effect.

The duration of Gamma Ray is at least pretty lengthy at about 30 secs +- as far as I can tell.

32 minutes ago, Doomrider said:

1380107294_Screenshot(339).png.0dd0d0f8aa7ef2dcbeaaecb1a3aba90e.png

Gamma Ray actually debuffs the enemies base accuracy, not to-hit, by a flat 20% regardless of enemy level. It does not infact debuff their damage at least as far as the combat monitor can tell me.
I suppose one could put the debuff on an enemy and test to see if they take less damage while the enemy is under that effect.

The duration of Gamma Ray is at least pretty lengthy at about 30 secs +- as far as I can tell.

Thanks. I saw that but the "from self" confused me ...

But all you saw was the accuracy debuff, right?  Not thing about the "small burst of extra damage" or the -DMG that were cited in the reply above?

I suppose a 20% debuff to base accuracy is decent if it's on a hard target like an AV, not sure how they resist it with purple patch etc.

Thanks for checking.

22 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

Thanks. I saw that but the "from self" confused me ...

But all you saw was the accuracy debuff, right?  Not thing about the "small burst of extra damage" or the -DMG that were cited in the reply above?

I suppose a 20% debuff to base accuracy is decent if it's on a hard target like an AV, not sure how they resist it with purple patch etc.

Thanks for checking.

No burst of damage or -dmg debuff's applied. So if it is the intent that those effects should occur and aren't I'd say it's a bug otherwise the descriptions need to be updated. As far as I can tell isolating "damage inflicted" and even "pet damage inflicted" in separate tabs as well as watching the damage ticks, I could not see any additional damage ticks.
On the accuracy debuff, it would be interesting to see if it's unresisted. That would be decent to put on AV's if that's the case as the purple patch does not seem to be affecting the value either.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, Doomrider said:

On the accuracy debuff, it would be interesting to see if it's unresisted. That would be decent to put on AV's if that's the case as the purple patch does not seem to be affecting the value either.

I was able to apply it to Captain Castillo AV in Market Crash TF, straight 0.20x acc debuff.  Couldn't get it to stick at all on the Crimson Dynamo.

Got it to stick at 0.20x acc debuff on lvl 52 AVs in MLTF (Lord Recluse, etc.).  Most died too fast for it to be useful, probably helped on LR.  My guess is it will be useful on lower-level TFs with tougher AVs .

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later
28 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

Weird.  Do you have a confuse IO (like contagious confusion) in one of your attacks in our around what you use to generate Gamma Ray?  Can you post your build?

Nope! no IO's at all, I am a lvl 7 water/Atomic blaster with just P2W enhancements and empty sockets 🙂

Basically, if you use a power that "generates positive particles" around a target and one that "generates negative particles" around a target, they get the gamma ray effect. Order doesn't seem to matter. It lands on lieutenants (didn't try a boss to experiment) and lasts long enough that they die confused. The powers themselves say what types of particles they generate. IIRC The immobilize and hold do positive particles and the first melee attack does negative particles.

Edited by thorasaurus

48 minutes ago, thorasaurus said:

Nope! no IO's at all, I am a lvl 7 water/Atomic blaster with just P2W enhancements and empty sockets 🙂

Basically, if you use a power that "generates positive particles" around a target and one that "generates negative particles" around a target, they get the gamma ray effect. Order doesn't seem to matter. It lands on lieutenants (didn't try a boss to experiment) and lasts long enough that they die confused. The powers themselves say what types of particles they generate. IIRC The immobilize and hold do positive particles and the first melee attack does negative particles.

I'd never seen this before.  Recently I've only used it on AVs and haven't noticed.  I'll try to login later and see how it is working currently for me on standard mobs / lts.

Atomic Manipulation has had confuse baked in for as long as I have used it, which admittedly isn't that long.  According to the wiki:

Atomic Manipulation is a standard power set that is a secondary set for Blasters.

"You have complete control over atomic particles and waves, and can use them to disable and weaken your enemies, as well as boost your own power. Many of your powers have the ability to surround your targets with negatrons or positrons. Should you combine both of these in a single target, it will result in Electron-Positron annihilation producing a burst of Gamma Rays which will inflict a small amount of damage, and in addition debuff the target's damage output and accuracy. Enemies also have a small chance of being stunned or confused."

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

16 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

Tried it on Rikti and Nemmies and CoT.  Maybe someone else can test.  Maybe you're happily bugged!

One think to consider, is Nemmies, Rikti and even some CoT actually have confuse resistance/protection. Especially the Nemmies, as Vengence gives confuse protection. So it could've just been the groups you decided to test against.

I've had this effect proc from just using the immobilize on my fire/atomic blaster.  He's only level 28 and the only melee ability he has so far is the PBAoE melee smash (atomic smash?), so he stays at range most of the time.  How is it procing from just one secondary attack?

8 hours ago, JayboH said:

Go HERE and click on each power to see what the set's gimmick does.

Well, if that site is right, then Gamma Ray does apparently have a % chance to confuse its affected target.  Never knew that.  The testing we did above confirmed the 20% accuracy debuff (even on AVs), and confirmed that there is no damage debuff (despite what the description says).  I guess there is a chance to confuse that is more noticeable on lower-level mobs.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=temporary_powers.temporary_powers.radiation_control_gammaburst&at=blaster