Afterburner provide +def when hover is active?

FullEclipse

According to the detailed info it states that afterburner only grants flight protection white hover, flight or group fly is active.  What exactly is "flight protection"?  Does it provide some defense buff if I keep hover on? Can someone clue me please.

Flight protection is probably just immunity to the -fly debuff, but just so you are aware, you can't attack anything while you have afterburner on so it isn't worth taking just for the defense. I take it on fliers because it allows you to slot a LotG recharge, and because it makes flight a lot better.

To piggyback on this with a quick question rather than create a new thread:

Can you slot flight speeds in both fly and afterburner to get extra fly speed? How fast can you get with flying?

Mostly asking because this game has the best flying feel of just about any game I've ever played. I don't take it on all my characters, but when I do I use it A LOT because of how awesome it feels (and faster is always better, right?).

9 minutes ago, longdayinrehab said:

To piggyback on this with a quick question rather than create a new thread:

Can you slot flight speeds in both fly and afterburner to get extra fly speed? How fast can you get with flying?

Mostly asking because this game has the best flying feel of just about any game I've ever played. I don't take it on all my characters, but when I do I use it A LOT because of how awesome it feels (and faster is always better, right?).

Yes, you can slot Swift, Hover, Fly, and Afterburner to increase your flight speed.  However, there is a cap on flight speed without Afterburner: 58.63 mph.  So it's generally not necessary to waste slots/enhancements on these powers for flight speed. 

Usually, I put one flight speed enhancement in Swift, and that's sufficient.  I will put the universal travel +KB protection proc in Fly, LotG +Recharge in Afterburner and/or Hover, and/or the Kismet +ToHit into Hover.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Flight_Powers#Flight_Speed

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

20 minutes ago, longdayinrehab said:

Thanks for the reply and the link to the HC wiki, I did not know that existed!

You're welcome.  It's a relatively new fork off of the original ParagonWiki.com.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer