Do you have a 'main'? What makes a main? What's the main things about your main that made it your main?

My main tends to be the first character I make. I just really make my first choice of power sets something I'll really enjoy and a character concept I resonate with. On live I think my main changed 3 times since I played before endgame content really existed and my play style and AT preference changed. My current main gets badges and all the first experiences on Homecoming.

If you see a Greek toon- it's probably me.

Evdoxia (Defender: Time/DP), Mykonos (Defender: Kinetics/Water Blast), Miss Greece (Defender: Rad/pb)

When I first joined, I thought my first character will be my Main, created based on a manga superhero. But visually and power-wise didn't match my mental-image of her, and as I have no experience with the game, I wasn't satisfied with her battle performance. So I researched, asked, read, and when I thought I know enough, I created a second, which I thought would be my Main (still currently my highest level character at lv 14). Nope, then, came the third, fourth. Now I'm on fifth, I think she's my Main.

Edited by Oginth

My mains are based on characters I’ve crafted for tabletop Superhero RPGs.

• Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I first started playing City of Heroes on live, I had several characters there, started with one called RogerWilco (duh!), but quickly had another character become the one I most enjoyed playing.

Then a friend of mine joined who only wanted to play Villains. So I made a few villains as well.

Then I got Going Rogue. My first Praetorian quickly became my favourite character. I had a good tie-in background with the Praetorian Earth lore, I really liked the powers and how they fit with the background, and the character was just a blast to play.

It clearly was my main, and quickly becoming so again now on Homecoming, even though I've only played for a few days.

She was not officially the leader of our supergroup, as according to the lore another character of mine was more of a leader type.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I dont exactly have a main in the traditional sense. The identity of Ol Berk, the persona I adopt when I RP as him, my role as founder and leader of my SG both back on live and now all lead to him becoming my primary in the sense that I always log onto him first to touch base with any clubbers on, Emails from coalition leaders etc to be looked over, that sort of thing.

Yet each character is for me a different outlet really, a different persona fitting a different mood I may be in. In ways my character Skylord is my avatar. I modeled his age right down to his B day after myself, he embodies most what I myself would want to be/have if I was to exist in such a world. He tends to be the most real and human in his outlooks, such as his unforgiving hatred for the Rikti and their invasion and all the loved ones they took from him. He doesnt care if they were tricked, he doesnt care if over all their culture isnt all that bad. Until they withdraw from earth or surrender and are contained he will make war upon them with no mercy. They took people he loved, they wounded the city he protects.

My main character on this game or any other is never who I think it's going to be. For HC, it ended up being my Arch/TA Corr, a character I initially rolled as a joke. But she's fun at any level and has enough of a grab bag of powers I always have something to do no matter what kind of content I run. She's my default when I get tired of my (many) alts and don't know who to play. She doesn't even have a backstory, which is different for me. She's just fun!

On Live, it was a storm/elec def. I tried rolling her again on HC and realized defenders just weren't my thing anymore. It's interesting to see how I've changed as a player in all the years of City.

16 hours ago, TinyBolt said:

On Live, it was a storm/elec def. I tried rolling her again on HC and realized defenders just weren't my thing anymore. It's interesting to see how I've changed as a player in all the years of City.

Interesting point, that. I LOVED Radiation Emission on Live but found I really couldn’t tolerate it on HC when we got CoH back. 

Claws and Effect is my main. 

He was originally a Claws/Regen scrapper. Now he's a Claws/Willpower brute, which was impossible when he was originally created. 

The new version of him is actually his  Praetorian counterpart who took up the mantle when the Primal version retired. Lately I've been missing the playstyle of the original so I created Claws and Effect 1.0. The original who came out of retirement. 

However, my main is not the character I play most. That is Adam XIX. He's a Street Justice/Bio Armor Scrapper. His name comes from him being the 19th and only successful creation of the Adam project. 

Edited by ClawsandEffect

On 5/23/2020 at 12:06 AM, Shred Monkey said:

It just happens naturally.  Every time I make a new alt, I play them up and start doing endgame stuff.  And inevitably I find myself saying to myself, "Gee, I sure wish I had brought my...."  When that happens over and over, that alt gets set aside.

Usually it's after I die and I think to myself, "gee if i'm going to die, I might as well be playing a toon that does more damage,"   Or it's after a mission and I think, "man, that took way to long, I should have brought more damage."

So I guess the conclusion is my main is the toon that does the most damage.

This is exactly what happens with me! I'll be playing and die. 'Grumble grumble. I wouldn't die if I was on X'. So I start playing X. A week passes, no deaths, but at some point, 'good god, that took so long whittling those guys. It would have gone so much faster on Y', so I pick up. Y. A week later...

Currently and though a new addition I don't see my playing any other Tanker than my little Rad/MA. The ST damage is sort of painful with 200-ish for my 'hard' hitters, but makes up for that with a torrent of *wide* AoEs. Dragon Tail, Electric Fences, Ball Lightning, Dragon Tail. Gap, fill with Storm kick for the 10% defense. START AOE ALL OVER AGAIN!

I *adore* my Claws/Bio Scrapper for damage. And weirdly enough I never play it. It's what I use to powerlevel my new alts to 22-23 before they start TFing and it's so much more satisfying than using my Fire Armor tank for it. Have the Critical ATO proc go up, fit both Shockwave and Spin in its duration, see a *flood* of CRITICAL DAMAGE! and spawns melting. The ST feels damn good too. And to top it I had an inflated view of Bio Armor being super good for survival until I made other Bio Armor characters and realized I thought so because Shockwave/Focus kept mobs on their ass while I tore them apart.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, cranebump said:

My mains are based on characters I’ve crafted for tabletop Superhero RPGs.

Several of my characters are based on Champions tabletop characters and my main main, Ice Pirate, is based on one I played a lot of.

On live I rebuilt her quite a few times, but the most fun was the DB/WP version, so that's what I made her on live.   Currently north of 100 vet levels and is my designated badger and IO builder.

She's not as efficient as she could be, but pretty flexible for most environments.

Right now I have 44 other chars that I'm working on, and making the others fully kitted out with at least generic IOs at 50 with the goal of filling in sets as they get played more.  A few might get parked because they just don't have as much fun factor.  ( I also have 40+ names that are currently available that I might start a new alt with. but the new ones have to be sufficiently different from current sets.