City Magic

Lynkon

I’m working on a character concept, someone whose abilities come from the magic energies associated with the city. Think a Druid who’s getting their power source from the vibes of subways, electrified buildings and the energy of a city full of people instead of nature. A homeless avatar of the streets.

What powersets come to mind when you think of city magic? I think you could do just about anything. Kinetics has a real city energy to it. I thought kinetics/dual pistols would be kinda funny. Any archetype, any set, what are your ideas?

• Like 2

I don't have any power suggestions. However, this makes me think of ley lines that have either become corrupted by all the negative emotions, or that have been tampered with by Circle Of Thorn working with clockwork, making mystic technology.

• Like 3

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

There's a fair amount in the Circle of Thorns lore to support this.  Their ancient city of Oranbega skirted close to the "magic as technology" genre and has influenced the development of Paragon City since its founding.  You could even draw the Rikti into this, with their recent learning of magic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lynkon said:

What powersets come to mind when you think of city magic?

Shadowrun used shamanic city magic concepts in several novels, back in the 90's.  The implication was that a building, neighborhood, or even a facet of the city experience had a spirit which the shaman could use to channel mystic energies, or even call upon the entity itself.  You could create a pollution shaman using Dark Miasma or Radiation Emission, or use Nature Affinity to represent the spirit of a park, for instance.

With power customization, I'd reckon that most of the ranged powersets could be thematically envisioned as shamanic city magic.  Some of the melee sets would work, as well.

• Like 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

9 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Shadowrun used shamanic city magic concepts in several novels, back in the 90's.  The implication was that a building, neighborhood, or even a facet of the city experience had a spirit which the shaman could use to channel mystic energies, or even call upon the entity itself.  You could create a pollution shaman using Dark Miasma or Radiation Emission, or use Nature Affinity to represent the spirit of a park, for instance.

With power customization, I'd reckon that most of the ranged powersets could be thematically envisioned as shamanic city magic.  Some of the melee sets would work, as well.

Definitely a big Shadowrun influence in the idea for this character. And you hit the nail on the head as far as options! I like the spirit of the park idea.

I’m paralyzed with choices so I think I’ll just end up playing what feels the most fun as far as powers go. 

How IS electrical affinity as a defender?

• Like 1

What about something like electric control/radiation? I’m not familiar with electric control, but the electric gremlin pets would be pretty cool.

/Dark is great for Controllers too.

Or you could make a Dom if you wanted a more aggressive play style. 

There is also Gravity Control - Propel summons lots of city items to whack the enemies with, and you can teleport things around. 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

26 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Shadowrun used shamanic city magic concepts in several novels, back in the 90's.  The implication was that a building, neighborhood, or even a facet of the city experience had a spirit which the shaman could use to channel mystic energies, or even call upon the entity itself.

This was probably one of the greatest losses when the Shadowrun developers combined the magic systems in later editions.

I was getting Shadowrun vibes from this thread too, heh.

But here's the best thing, Lynkon!  This is City of Heroes.

You do not have to pick just -one- concept.

Do 'em all!  Revel in the Altoholism!

Also, we had a Shadowrun Group on Everlasting.  The leader was a Robotics/Traps Mastermind Troll Rigger.  A few members were Street Sams.  I think we could totally use an Urban Shaman up in there!

4 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I was getting Shadowrun vibes from this thread too, heh.

But here's the best thing, Lynkon!  This is City of Heroes.

You do not have to pick just -one- concept.

Do 'em all!  Revel in the Altoholism!

Also, we had a Shadowrun Group on Everlasting.  The leader was a Robotics/Traps Mastermind Troll Rigger.  A few members were Street Sams.  I think we could totally use an Urban Shaman up in there!

Oh don’t I know it... CoH is the worst for someone with rampant altaholism!

A Shadowrun SG sounds like it’d be lots of fun! Now, when you say troll rigger do mean... superadyne troll? Cause that’d be amazing

52 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Beat me to it... I was going to say "This sounds like a Street Shaman working with the Spirits of Man". XD

Once upon a time I had a character named Metropolitan. She was a city spirit... IIRC I went Electric tanker with her. 

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

10 minutes ago, FrauleinMental said:

This was probably one of the greatest losses when the Shadowrun developers combined the magic systems in later editions.

I still have my first edition rulebook.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

It sounds like you're aiming more for some kind of electrical-themed set, or maybe even something with a light affinity (think urban light pollution), but when I think of this concept, I think of philosophical concepts like psychogeography and urban wanderings (Guy Debord's "derives"), or place memory/place attachment, animism or even the idea of a genius loci. A person who is in tune with the sensations and memories that attach to urban places over time and space. Something like that could be simulated by some of the psychic power sets, or empathy, or even illusion (the pets being literal "zeitgeists"; spirits of the city brought forth to battle).

Something involving poison themed powers comes to mind: a thugs/poison MM perhaps?  Poison, because you are drawing power from the dirt and smog of a city, contrasting with a nature priest like a druid.  Thugs, because they seem city bred fellows. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Titan weapon or Staff Fighting and electric armor.  Can pull off a "green warrior" without the typical protector of nature crap druids you see in fantasy MMOs with the heals or buffs; nothing says they are required to theme a character concept for nature.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

16 hours ago, Lynkon said:

Definitely a big Shadowrun influence in the idea for this character. And you hit the nail on the head as far as options! I like the spirit of the park idea.

I’m paralyzed with choices so I think I’ll just end up playing what feels the most fun as far as powers go. 

How IS electrical affinity as a defender?

You can look at the defender forum for feedback on the set. A spirit of the park could be a Plant/dark controller, and if nothing else, that would be a beast of a combo.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Loving the ideas, guys! Thanks for all the input. I’m digging the character a lot so far. There’s a lot to do with it.

14 hours ago, Zombie Hustler said:

It sounds like you're aiming more for some kind of electrical-themed set, or maybe even something with a light affinity (think urban light pollution), but when I think of this concept, I think of philosophical concepts like psychogeography and urban wanderings (Guy Debord's "derives"), or place memory/place attachment, animism or even the idea of a genius loci. A person who is in tune with the sensations and memories that attach to urban places over time and space. Something like that could be simulated by some of the psychic power sets, or empathy, or even illusion (the pets being literal "zeitgeists"; spirits of the city brought forth to battle).

The more animistic idea of tapping into the spirit of the city is definitely what I’m going for. I have a feeling I’m gonna be remaking this character quite a few times until I get something that feels right. But it’s certainly fun to think about what you can do. RP elements are off the wall—

Talking with city creatures like rats, roaches, squirrels, cats, dogs, pigeons... “Couch surfing”, having various home points in the city to warp to, centered around a friendly couch. Social media spirits. It’s great!

The one aspect of my character I’m keeping through all versions is the coyote shapeshifter power. His name’s Stray Dog, so I like the idea of him either looking like a stray or scruffy, might-be-homeless person.

Edited by Lynkon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lynkon said:

The more animistic idea of tapping into the spirit of the city is definitely what I’m going for.

In one of the older editions of the RPG Mutants and Masterminds, one of the main heroes was precisely this.  I want to say his name was Doctor Metropolis.  Although IIRC, he wasn't so much a person tapping into that spirit, as he was that spirit itself, taking human form.

This is a really cool character concept; I like it a lot. There are a bunch of ways you could go with AT and power sets. I want to know what you decide on, @Lynkon.

Speaking of table top RPGs... if this was a Champions game, you could go with a variable power pool with the urban shaman theme.

@TraumaTrain right now I’m trying an electric/kinetics controller. I like electric control a lot so far. But the altaholism is strong, so I’m still considering other options. 

Damn fun character though! I need to get him associated with some kinda magical SG.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, Lynkon said:

I’m working on a character concept, someone whose abilities come from the magic energies associated with the city. Think a Druid who’s getting their power source from the vibes of subways, electrified buildings and the energy of a city full of people instead of nature. A homeless avatar of the streets.

What powersets come to mind when you think of city magic? I think you could do just about anything. Kinetics has a real city energy to it. I thought kinetics/dual pistols would be kinda funny. Any archetype, any set, what are your ideas?

Im fairly sure the lore mentions paragon is at the criss crossing of multiple ley lines. As for modern magic which I think is what your asking about, one funny thought ive ponder a few times over the years when talking about magic from games like D&D in a modern setting is this: Would necromancy effect things made from materials produced from fossil fuels? In other words could it effect things like plastics, tires the tar in roads etc.

Ive had some suggest such things would be too refined to be considered the material of corpses. But I argue the magic can animate piles of bones so clearly the magic can make up for the lack of all sorts of material needed to function.

Sadly we dont have exactly a tar monster mastermind. but maybe one of the dark sets, after all they do have a power called tar patch right. I could see like a dark elec combo of some AT for someone who is like an urban dark druid.