Mercs: Secondary

Coyote

My first MM ever was Mercs/Traps. Traps definitely can fill a lot of the holes that Mercs have (extra AoE, some control, defense, etc). I took that character to 50. There were no incarnates at the time. I would still recommend Aid Other/Self, as Combat Medic is not reliable unless you set him to Passive/Follow (then he'll stim and heal).  Because Mercs is all about the DAKKA, might as well grab one personal attack just for the hell of it - you did want bullet casings with your bullet casings, right? So add some more. Go Mace Mastery for the Scorpion Shield (you should be able to easily softcap S/L/E, which are the three most prevalent damage types you'll encounter end-game), and you can grab Web Envelope for the extra AoE immob. It has a long casting time, but it will help keep things in the narrow Merc cones and in the Acid Mortar death zone. Thankfully, with the new AI changes, at least Mercs will stay where they are supposed to in your fortified area and in FFG range. That was not an option when i played back on Live, the Mercs were just all over the  place. 

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

46 minutes ago, Dixa said:

they are in dire need of it, as do ninja's to a degree. 

their base damage is low and they have too many cc's on their tier 2 and 3 that are essentially useless when you can't control then when and how of using them. these cc's take away from additional damage powers that the other sets have instead. 

if you want to play it for a theme go for it, but I recommend picking a secondary that is going to help you kill things faster not one that is super defensive in nature. traps or something along those lines.

TS fixed mercs by giving tier 1's a third soldier, making medic a separate power while taking it's attacks away and removing a chunk of the cc powers replacing with damage powers. it's quite good there.

One of my thoughts was replacing serum with the Swap Ammo power from DP.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Force Redux said:

I was of the firm belief, until David Tennant. Now Tom is rank # 1.5, a hair behind. Heresy, I know, but hey...its DAVID F'N TENNANT!! 😛

To be fair, I am a fan of David Tennant, but that's mostly because I really enjoyed his acting in Good Omens. But you always love the doctor you started with, and for us Gen-Xers, it will always be the Bakernater.

The thing is... Christopher Eccleston had HUGE potential. I was REALLY enjoying his turn at Doc, but he was utterly short-lived, as, if he had lasted, he might have beaten all the rest of the doctors, simply because of how UNLIKE the other doctors he really was.

I stopped watching, forever, when they dragged Jodie in... Not because I had a problem with a female doctor (it sorta made sense) but they turned the whole show into a neverending social justice sermon. I didn't mind the occasional flashes of "Look what happens when a civilization is bigoted" bits in the earlier shows, but it got sickeningly over-the-top with Peter Capaldi, and then Jodie just took it two steps further.

But even though I consider Tom Baker the epitome, Tennant WAS the doctor who starred in "Blink" whioch is quite possibly the greatest single episode of doctor who... and one of the greatest episodes of Any science fiction show ever.

• Like 2

I stopped just at the beginning of Capaldi's run. He just didn't grab me. Never made it to Jodie.

As a fellow Gen X, let me tell you, it wasn't easy to nudge Tom over for David. Tom still has a special place. I grew up on 1970s BBC imports.

I agree about Eccleston, I would have enjoyed another season from him if he had been willing to give it.

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

I have a silly dream of changing Serum from targeting one of the merc minions into a power that releases a Supa Troll to rampage for you for a short bit.

you can't make a super soldier serum without making a few dyne-addled green guys along the way...

• Like 1

• 2 months later