Reinstate 2x influence at 50

54 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

ah, the thread devolves into shitposting.

all is well.

It's a protective mechanism evolved by forums to defend themselves from irritation.  We're like oysters, in a way.

• Haha 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Why bring nasty ugly economics in to a game that is meant to be fun?   Why double down on broken economic models when the sky is the limit in a virtual world where solutions to problems don't need to leave anyone out in the cold?   If the market has an inflation problem, why not use a model which is inflation-proof?

And remember!  Not real world economics.  Be creative.  Imaginary world means we aren't restricted to depressing reminders of real-world financial ruin.   This is a question about game development.  

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Patti said:

Why bring nasty ugly economics in to a game that is meant to be fun?   Why double down on broken economic models when the sky is the limit in a virtual world where solutions to problems don't need to leave anyone out in the cold?   If the market has an inflation problem, why not use a model which is inflation-proof?

And remember!  Not real world economics.  Be creative.  Imaginary world means we aren't restricted to depressing reminders of real-world financial ruin.   This is a question about game development.  

Usually people follow these statements up with an idea of their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

1 hour ago, Patti said:

Economics isn't a thing that people use on one another, or a cause.

Economics is the revealing outcome of human behavior concerning resources that are finite, where wants and needs are infinite. It is an understanding of the decisions made therein and how we all interact with each other in an ecosystem, ECOnomics.

It's not ugly, or beautiful, or anything else; it is evidence of outcomes.

Shall I go on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Patti said:

Free purples for evvrrrybody!!!

• Haha 1

*Plays Purple Rain.*

*Munches fruit salad.*

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I'd love that. One random purple per account once a year, hell twice a year! It would be fun to see the impact that would have on the markets.

So I know you guys are being facetious, but honestly, 100 merits for a purple. Forget free purples once a year, you can get free purples once a day by just running a TinPex followed by a Yin TF.

Bam. Free purple, and it hardly takes more than an hour. 😜

• Like 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

26 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

So I know you guys are being facetious, but honestly, 100 merits for a purple. Forget free purples once a year, you can get free purples once a day by just running a TinPex followed by a Yin TF.

Isn't there also the whole free Purple from Market Crash per char?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Patti said:

It's unfortunate, but an ugly reality that economics is about behaviors of people, not money.  So any game, with any kind of economy, is going to run afoul of real world economic principles, because human behavior is still at the crux of it.

Fortunately, Homecoming is not a totally free market, which means the worst of human behaviors, like hoarding and gouging, aren't possible here.  But at the end of the day, some factors, like inflation will continue to plague the game and have to be fought with the same kind of monetary principles that work in real life - taking currency out of the economy.

None of this however should stop you from suggesting ideas that might solve the problem, or at least provide the creative juices for someone else to solve it.  Keep looking to the skies, but know that here on the ground, the human element is still the driving factor in how economics work.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

3 hours ago, GastlyGibus said:

If you're spending a currency (merits,) can you really call it free?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

25 minutes ago, Greycat said:

If you're spending a currency (merits,) can you really call it free?

Not in the strictest sense, but since you're getting something pretty valuable for little to no effort compared to most MMO's, I'd say it's as close to free as you can get. 😛

Edited by GastlyGibus

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

2 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

Not in the strictest sense, but since you're getting something pretty valuable for little to no effort compared to most MMO's, I'd say it's as close to free as you can get. 😛

Running the merits might be less effort than persuading our team to change the code to give out free purples.

Sadly, to bring it back to topic...

I am against free stuff as much as anyone, but I actually think, why not bring back double inf for no xp?  (Do NOT bring back the exempt bug though).  Hear me out.

1.  I really don't think it will have a significant effect on prices.  I know as well as anyone about money supply and inflation, but there are already so many hard and soft caps in the system that the worst case scenario is that we bump up against floors or ceilings already in place.  Frankly, I think that the death knoll of the economy is going to be when people start to get tired of making alts and equipping them, and I've already seen what I consider evidence of that.  But that's a different topic.  In short, I really don't think it would cause much harm in the short run, although prices may rise.

2.  It'll shut people up.  Right now that would be a great influence sink!

Who run Bartertown?

8 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Sadly, to bring it back to topic...

I am against free stuff as much as anyone, but I actually think, why not bring back double inf for no xp?  (Do NOT bring back the exempt bug though).  Hear me out.

1.  I really don't think it will have a significant effect on prices.  I know as well as anyone about money supply and inflation, but there are already so many hard and soft caps in the system that the worst case scenario is that we bump up against floors or ceilings already in place.  Frankly, I think that the death knoll of the economy is going to be when people start to get tired of making alts and equipping them, and I've already seen what I consider evidence of that.  But that's a different topic.  In short, I really don't think it would cause much harm in the short run, although prices may rise.

2.  It'll shut people up.  Right now that would be a great influence sink!

Hi, to help support the back on topic:

That's not quite how economics works.

Rampant inflation is detrimental to economic health. This was, and is, proven.

Prices have already come down.

Please refer to all the detailed explenations here and the original thread.

No vote.

45 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Hi, to help support the back on topic:

That's not quite how economics works.

Rampant inflation is detrimental to economic health. This was, and is, proven.

Prices have already come down.

Please refer to all the detailed explenations here and the original thread.

No vote.

SwitchFade, I'm not here to out PhD you.  I know exactly how economics work.  What I'm saying is that it's highly possible that the positive effects (i.e., getting people to shut up) may outweigh the negative effects (surplus currency in the system).  I really hope that HC has enough legs that inflation even has the potential to become an issue!  Your no vote is registered!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?