Jump to content
Techwright

Giant Monsters suggestions

Recommended Posts

An incident the other night involving Giant Monster Babbage during the Synapse Task Force got me thinking of a couple of things I'd like to suggest.

 

1) Would it be possible to make Giant Monsters like Babbage immune from the police teleporters based at important spots like train stations?  I don't remember any arch-enemies on the streets in such a manner, but I'd assume having anything higher than an elite would probably be a good thing to have immune.

 

2) Would it be possible to generate one Babbage in Skyway per Synapse Task Force, regardless of how many task forces have reached that point simultaneously?  I would assume a similar situation for any strike force/task force that generates a key character on the streets.  I believe Malta has a giant robot that does this, though I don't remember what event generates that.

 

The case:  We were running the Synapse TF, had just come out of the mission that triggers Babbage, and we struggled to find him.  Turns out, another TF team had exited a nearby door triggering Babbage first.  I didn't see this but the teammates who did reported that Babbage moved too close to the police teleporters at the Skyway South tram station and was whisked away, ending two teams' efforts to engage it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowdaze said:

Did it prevent the TF's from being completed?

Afaik, no it doesn't. He's just a triggered ambush/event

Edited by Doomguide2005

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowdaze said:

Did it prevent the TF's from being completed?

Completely irrelevant, but hey, you do you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SurfD said:

Completely irrelevant, but hey, you do you.

Not completely irrelevant. Please consider if it actually prevented completion then it becomes a much larger issue.


I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we get a GM per zone spawning every hour at specific intervals? and possibly an accolade for killin em all?

  • Like 1

     ZetaForce              OmniForce            AquaForce          PsychoForce          RagnaForce        CosmicForce         MegaForce         MagnaForce
50 Brute Rad/Fire | 50 Stalker Em/Inv | 50 Corr Wa/St | 50 Dom Mind/Psi | 50 Scrap Tw/Elec | 50 PeaceBringer | 50 Blast Fire/Nin | 50 Blast Dp/Ma

                                                                              AND SO MANY MORE

   MetaForce        SigmaForce     MechaForce        TeslaForce          AntiForce          CryoForce           HyperForce         NecroForce        XenoForce
50 Sent En/Sr | 50 Brute Ele/Fi | 50 Sent Er/Inv | 50 Troll Elec/St | 50 Corr Ice/Kin | 50 MM Nin/Co | 50 Scrap Km/Rad | 50 Stal Bs/Sh | 50 Def Rad/Pain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Giant Monsters chasing down and attacking citizens who stroll past. 

Lusca should reach out with tentacles and grab one for dinner, etc.

 

I mean, give me a reason to consider them Monsters.

As it is, Lusca harasses citizens less than a Hellion purse snatcher, or a Family Mook.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, Snowdaze said:

Not completely irrelevant. Please consider if it actually prevented completion then it becomes a much larger issue.

It may not have kept the TF from being completed, but it does remove some of the fun and challenge from said TF.

  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed.  Babbage is -literally- content in the Task Force.  Completion of the Task Force is certainly a motivating factor for what is likely to be just about every player, but considering how many players make a POINT of waiting to fight Babbage . . . it's a pretty significant portion of the Synapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back on live we had a passel of ... I think they were Babbages....running around.  Massive fight in Skyway.  Fun and hillarious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 6:22 PM, Snowdaze said:

Not completely irrelevant. Please consider if it actually prevented completion then it becomes a much larger issue.

No. Your post was completely irrelevant.  His post had absolutely nothing to do with being unable to complete the task force, so your flippant reply had nothing to do with his post.  Therefore irrelevant.

 

He was posting about the issue of basically being robbed / cheated out of a reward that is part of the TF by design.  He never once mentioned anything to do with completing the TF.

 

And please don't be obtuse.  You know very well that Babbage's spawn is a fixed event triggered specifically by running that TF and has absolutely no possible way of actually affecting the ability to complete the TF, so even suggesting it is disingenuous on your part.

Edited by SurfD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SurfD said:

No. Your post was completely irrelevant.  His post had absolutely nothing to do with being unable to complete the task force, so your flippant reply had nothing to do with his post.  Therefore irrelevant.

 

He was posting about the issue of basically being robbed / cheated out of a reward that is part of the TF by design.  He never once mentioned anything to do with completing the TF.

 

And please don't be obtuse.  You know very well that Babbage's spawn is a fixed event triggered specifically by running that TF and has absolutely no possible way of actually affecting the ability to complete the TF, so even suggesting it is disingenuous on your part.

Stop being such a jerk! I have said nothing in this tread to even remotely suggest I am against the OP's suggestion! SurfD you just dislike me coming into threads and asking questions. Seriously chill out!

If you want I can start shooting hole in the OP if you'd rather have me do that! 

 

I understand the OP is frustrated. Do I view it as as big of an issue as they seem to think? Absolutely not for Babbage, he's in Boomtown ALL THE TIME, no one ever hunts him there.

If it was a Kronos Titan I'd have more sympathy. But you know what? I didnt come in here and start anything up, nope I just asked a SIMPLE QUESTION. And if the answer had been "Yes, we were unable to finish the TF." (Which I was honestly curious about, I've never not gotten a Babbage, and really haven't ever paid that much attention if it is a requirement for TF completion). I would have fully supported him. He isn't trying to OP anything, he isn't trying to change lore. He's not asking for some complex amount of coding that is likely to break the game. I really don't have any issues with the request, I have some potential concerns, since I consider things from all angles. Which I could gladly share if anyone is curious. But most likely SurfD is going to blow up at me again. So Whatever!

Edited by Snowdaze

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I understand the OP is frustrated. Do I view it as as big of an issue as they seem to think? Absolutely not for Babbage, he's in Boomtown ALL THE TIME, no one ever hunts him there.

 

He's not actually there "all the time." I often run through Boomtown (easy 5 merits for zone badges, after all) and flat out do not run across him.

 

He *is,* however, part of the task force. He is supposed to come after the task force as an ambush. *Not* having him do that doesn't make the taskforce unable to be completed, no, but it does remove some of the story and rewards (6 fewer merits for a "hard reward," not to mention just standing around waiting for an ambush - which several see as a fun part of the TF, not to mention other people dropping what they're doing to help, only to stand around until its determined Babbage isn't coming for some reason.)

 

While I don't think he should be immune to police drones, reviewing pathing and guaranteeing a Babbage for the TF I wouldn't see as hurting anything.


Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greycat said:

He's not actually there "all the time." I often run through Boomtown (easy 5 merits for zone badges, after all) and flat out do not run across him.

 

He *is,* however, part of the task force. He is supposed to come after the task force as an ambush. *Not* having him do that doesn't make the taskforce unable to be completed, no, but it does remove some of the story and rewards (6 fewer merits for a "hard reward," not to mention just standing around waiting for an ambush - which several see as a fun part of the TF, not to mention other people dropping what they're doing to help, only to stand around until its determined Babbage isn't coming for some reason.)

 

While I don't think he should be immune to police drones, reviewing pathing and guaranteeing a Babbage for the TF I wouldn't see as hurting anything.

Agreed. No mob should be immune to police drones. But yeah fix the pathing so that he doesn't go anywhere near them unless pulled to them by the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greycat said:

He *is,* however, part of the task force. He is supposed to come after the task force as an ambush. *Not* having him do that doesn't make the taskforce unable to be completed, no, but it does remove some of the story and rewards (6 fewer merits for a "hard reward," not to mention just standing around waiting for an ambush - which several see as a fun part of the TF, not to mention other people dropping what they're doing to help, only to stand around until its determined Babbage isn't coming for some reason.)

Really, I didn't need the explanation. I already understand all of the ramifications. just so you know intended or not, this particular paragraph felt pretty condescending. Still staying neutral on this topic. Though I feel your solutions is so far the most elegant. 


I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

Offense is most often taken, not given.

That is why I just pointed out how it sounded. Not bent out of shape, just wanted them to make them aware.


I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I understand the OP is frustrated. Do I view it as as big of an issue as they seem to think? Absolutely not for Babbage, he's in Boomtown ALL THE TIME, no one ever hunts him there.

If it was a Kronos Titan I'd have more sympathy. But you know what? I didnt come in here and start anything up, nope I just asked a SIMPLE QUESTION. And if the answer had been "Yes, we were unable to finish the TF." (Which I was honestly curious about, I've never not gotten a Babbage, and really haven't ever paid that much attention if it is a requirement for TF completion). I would have fully supported him. 

To be fair, when I read your first remark I was a bit surprised, because I read it as a kind of flippant "You completed it, no? So what's your problem?".  To be clear that's NOT a direct quote.  But it is how I READ your post.  I refrained from commenting on it because I wasn't sure, but that WAS my first impression of that post. 

 

One thing I have painfully learned over the last 20 years.  Text, especially to someone you haven't known for a long time, is extremely easy to mis interpret.  Questions in particular, if not phrased well, can easily be read as a challenge.

 

So rather than say

On 5/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, Snowdaze said:

Did it prevent the TF's from being completed?

Better to say something like:  

 

"Did it prevent the TF from being completed?  I'm not trying to be dismissive, I'm just genuinely curious. I've never had him not be there."

 

Now.  Would I actually have said that myself?  Maybe not. I hope I would have phrased it that way. But If I was busy, tabbing between windows, or keeping on eye on the stove, or on laundry, maybe I woulda typed something quick and posted it myself.  It happens. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't try and shift blame onto me, all I did was ask a simple question. Ya'll need to look inward to ask yourselves why you are interpreting something for more then face value.


I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowdaze said:

Don't try and shift blame onto me, all I did was ask a simple question. Ya'll need to look inward to ask yourselves why you are interpreting something for more then face value.

I'm gonna have to agree with this, the first question was very simple.

 

Perhaps, at that point, snow really didn't know and it did prevent completion, hence the ask.

 

If the response was ,"yes," then the reply may have been, "oh crap, this is actually a bigger deal than I thought!" If the reply was "no," without any condescension, the reply may have been, "ok, good to know! So, TF is good, but that still sucks you couldn't kill Babbage."

 

However, the rude replies preempt ever knowing, so, those people posting how they did should take it as a lesson learned and not be as assumptive in the future.

 

As for the OP, no vote, unless it's very specific places and GM's. One only needs to watch DE GMs (hilariously, terribly) stomp the crap out of everyone around Castle in PI, back on live before they added drones to portal court.

 

Even then, pretty much no vote, as this is a low item on priority list to spend man hours fixing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

Really, I didn't need the explanation. I already understand all of the ramifications. just so you know intended or not, this particular paragraph felt pretty condescending.

And this is why you got the reply you did to your initial post.

 

There is no way you can expect me to believe that you "already understand all the ramifications" of how a fixed GM ambush spawned by a TF works, and still managed to post the question "Did it prevent the TF's from being completed?" in good faith.  If A is correct, B should never have been a question.  If B is a valid question, A could not possibly be correct.   And if you are going to tell me that it was an honest question because you were completely unaware of how the Synapse Task Force works, then sorry, but I am going to call bullshit.  I find it hard to believe that someone who has been around the game as long as you have would be unaware of why Babbage ends up spawning in Skyway.  Especially when you blow them off by essentially going "boo hoo, you didn't get him in your task force, go kill him in Boomtown", as if that is an acceptable answer.

 

Don't try to pass the buck on other people when it appears a good chunk of us immediately interpreted your reply the same way.   As the old adage goes, "if everyone around you appears to be the problem, maybe you're the problem"

Edited by SurfD
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SurfD said:

And this is why you got the reply you did to your initial post.

 

There is no way you can expect me to believe that you "already understand all the ramifications" of how a fixed GM ambush spawned by a TF works, and still managed to post the question "Did it prevent the TF's from being completed?" in good faith.  If A is correct, B should never have been a question.  If B is a valid question, A could not possibly be correct.   And if you are going to tell me that it was an honest question because you were completely unaware of how the Synapse Task Force works, then sorry, but I am going to call bullshit.  I find it hard to believe that someone who has been around the game as long as you have would be unaware of why Babbage ends up spawning in Skyway.  Especially when you blow them off by essentially going "boo hoo, you didn't get him in your task force, go kill him in Boomtown", as it that is an acceptable answer.

 

Don't try to pass the buck on other people when it appears a good chunk of us immediately interpreted your reply the same way.   As the old adage goes, "if everyone around you appears to be the problem, maybe you're the problem"

Bugs and glitchs can happen guy! You really really really need to drop your animosity! You love to show up and pick fights and you NEED to stop it!


I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, MTeague said:

I would like to see Giant Monsters chasing down and attacking citizens who stroll past. 

Lusca should reach out with tentacles and grab one for dinner, etc.

 

I mean, give me a reason to consider them Monsters.

As it is, Lusca harasses citizens less than a Hellion purse snatcher, or a Family Mook.

I like this idea!  I would love to see epic Godzilla sized monsters to fight as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I like this idea!  I would love to see epic Godzilla sized monsters to fight as well.

Well, there is the Seed of Hamidon in First Ward, who is pretty damn big.  The Kronos Titan I think is the largest "free roam" capable GM in the game, I think, as everything else is either immobile (Lusca, Hamidon) or restricted to instanced content (Crystal Titan, Jade Spider, etc), but at the same time the Kronos is also an Ambush that requires running a stupid long Story Arc (World Wide Red) to spawn, so it's not like it really gets much chance to actually roam or that you can encounter it frequently.

 

Would be neat if there was some way for the team to create "giant monster invasion" events similar to the Rikti / Nemesis invasions that happen.    Nemesis / Malta Giant Monster invasions would actually be pretty awesome, especially as the Jade Spider is a GM that a huge chunk of the playerbase probably doesn't even know exists since it only appears in the Mender Silos Task force.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...