Ranged stalker

I'm beginning to really enjoy stalkers again, and I'm thinking about trying to make a ranged stalker. Granted, without the inherent stalker mechanics it's not really something you can mimic, but I'd like to get as close as possible. I was thinking about a Sentinel for the survivability, stealth pool and...dunno. Should I build for set bonuses that increase damage as much as possible? Do I go heavy on the Presence pool?

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

What are you actually trying to mimic?

Stealth? Stealth + Damage? Stealth + Burst?

Stalkers have evolved a lot since inception... in fact, what makes a stalker a 'stalker' for me now is the constant build up recharging. Which, if that's the cause, Probably a water/ with force feedbacks to recharge tidal -- and jet can replace the feeling of a snipe, unless you want a snipe... then not water, lol

I guess you have to mention what exactly makes something a "Stalker" for you before you can get any real answer... 

2 minutes ago, seresibyl2 said:

What are you actually trying to mimic?

Stealth? Stealth + Damage? Stealth + Burst?

Stalkers have evolved a lot since inception... in fact, what makes a stalker a 'stalker' for me now is the constant build up recharging. Which, if that's the cause, Probably a water/ with force feedbacks to recharge tidal -- and jet can replace the feeling of a snipe, unless you want a snipe... then not water, lol

I guess you have to mention what exactly makes something a "Stalker" for you before you can get any real answer... 

Something super stealthy that can do massive single target damage at range, with the ability to dodge/absorb damage or get out of combat in a hurry if things go sideways

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

I would suggest just playing a Stalker.  The APPs and PPPs give you some really amazing ranged damage options, and some of the primaries have options as well.  

You could go with Kinetic, Claws or Spines, slap on Sorcery, Force of Will or Experimentation's ranged pool attacks and add Mu or Blaze.  

I did some experimenting on my Electric/Inv/Mu Stalker at one point, building him out into a full "Blapper" build that took Mu Bolts, Zapp (with 3 procs), Electric Shackles (with 4 procs) and Ball Lightning.  With the Prismatic Taser temp power from the P2W added on for fun, he had a full ranged, uninterupted attack chain, all of the Stalker stealth and defense benefits, and had Lightning Rod as a mini nuke, as well as a melee attack chain when he wanted to scrap out.  

His ranged damage was lower than his melee chain, but not by a ton.  In the end, I specced him back to a more melee/AoE focused build that still keeps Zapp, Ball Lightning and Shackles, which lets me nuke down runners amd put out respectable damage when its dangerous to get into melee (Apex TF finale for example).

• Like 1

Sentinels have Ninjutsu and Blasters have Devices, both of which give you a stealth power and a damage bonus for your first attack from stealth, so they're probably the closest.

The Blaster will do closer to Stalker-level damage.  The Sentinel will be a bit more survivable (and have mez protection).

• Like 1

I'd say if you want big damage numbers, go Blaster over Sentinel. Sentinels are great, but the idea is trading increased survival for less damage output. Targeting Drone adds quite a bit of damage to your initial Snipe when you fire from out of combat status. The Devices Secondary gives a Stealth power as well. The Ninja Training secondary for Blasters has a toggle that gives Stealth and adds increased damage on your first attack out of Stealth, similar to AS from Stalkers.  Something to think about.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Massive damage would not be a Sentinel thing, generally-speaking... So you might want to look at a tough Blaster build. Use the snipe or the strongest ST blast for that big burst damage effect?

Oh yeah, i forgot that Sents aren't really tougher blasters. maybe focusing on the snipe is a good plan then

1 minute ago, GetRidOfWires said:

I'd say if you want big damage numbers, go Blaster over Sentinel. Sentinels are great, but the idea is trading increased survival for less damage output. Targeting Drone adds quite a bit of damage to your initial Snipe when you fire from out of combat status. The Devices Secondary gives a Stealth power as well. The Ninja Training secondary for Blasters has a toggle that gives Stealth and adds increased damage on your first attack out of Stealth, similar to AS from Stalkers.  Something to think about.

Oh those are really good suggestions, I'm going to investigate that idea. Thank you

6 minutes ago, Jawbreaker said:

Oh yeah, i forgot that Sents aren't really tougher blasters. maybe focusing on the snipe is a good plan then

To get the sneaky aspect... Layering the Concealment pool Stealth power with a +Stealth IO like Unbound Leap's (Just dropped into Sprint-) will make you pretty darn stealthy. If Super Speed is your travel choice, putting that on adds even more.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I build a stalker-esque using Energy just to get an idea of making something stalker-y

- so it'll be knock back city, with little regard to actually knocking back... IMO Water Would be better, but that's primarily AoE, so per your single target request I went with energy.

Torrent/EB are there just to use Force Feedback, with Torrent being slotted a bit more for knockdown, but that's up to you (I'd probably reverse the slotting honesty and make Explosive the knockdown but w/e). The snipe has FF too, all of which can give you the 100% recharge from FF(/extend it).

You can really replace Energy with any primary... like Water 😜

There's also

Placate in Smoke Flash

Placate in Flash Freeze

Hibernate for Get out Jail

Nova for GTFO me

Blinding Powder has -90% perception and confuse shenanigans

Invis from your secondary

Fly has stealth as well

34% S/L Def

39% E/N

47% Ranged Def

You won't have the damage of the stalker, but you'll have some of the tricks. Your aim is also on an 18s CD with the recharge and no Hasten. Oh, and I didn't power pick for levels/exemplar. You could drop hoarfrost for Hasten.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ninja Training
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Immobilizing Dart -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Energy Torrent -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(7), ExpStr-Dmg/KB(9), ExpStr-Acc/KB(9), ExpStr-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 6: Power Burst -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(23), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(37), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(39), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(39)
Level 10: Shinobi -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(19), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21), LucoftheG-Def(21)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(13), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(13), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(15), GssSynFr--Build%(15), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(17)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(42), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), LucoftheG-Def(43), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(43)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Kuji-In Toh -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(40), Frb-Stlth(40)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 28: Smoke Flash -- RechRdx-I(A), Acc-I(29)
Level 30: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(31), RedFrt-EndRdx(36), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(36), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), RedFrt-Def(37)
Level 32: Nova -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(34), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Blinding Powder -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(40), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(50), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(50), CrcPrs-Conf%(50)
Level 38: Golden Dragonfly -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(46), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(48)
Level 41: Flash Freeze -- FrtHyp-Plct%(A)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(46)
Level 47: Hibernate -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A)
Level 49: Hoarfrost -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(11), Mrc-Rcvry+(34)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PrfShf-End%(31), PrfShf-EndMod(31)
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 18% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 7.25% Defense(Smashing)
  • 7.25% Defense(Lethal)
  • 7.25% Defense(Fire)
  • 7.25% Defense(Cold)
  • 28.81% Defense(Energy)
  • 28.81% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 8.5% Defense(Melee)
  • 36.63% Defense(Ranged)
  • 8.5% Defense(AoE)
  • 3.6% Max End
  • 4% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 56% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 10% Enhancement(Range)
  • 65% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 27% SpeedFlying
  • 189.7 HP (15.75%) HitPoints
  • 27% JumpHeight
  • 27% SpeedJumping
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Confused) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
  • 10.5% (0.18 End/sec) Recovery
  • 52% (2.61 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 12.75% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 12.75% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 1.5% Resistance(Fire)
  • 1.5% Resistance(Cold)
  • 13.5% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 13.5% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 27% SpeedRunning

Edited by seresibyl2

I would say a /devices blaster for the sneaky ranged. Especially with powers like field operative and targeting drone. Combine that with a blast set that has a strong snipe and I think you’re golden 😊

A different sneaky ranged route would be a corrupter/defender with either Dark Miasma, Cold Domination or Storm Summoning. All of those have stealth auras which would let you stealth the whole team, and also access to blasts and snipes from stealth. 

Also remember there is a stealth IO that you can put in sprint which you can layer on top for full invisibility. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I made my ranged Stalker a ranged Stalker. Claws/Bio/Soul, using Focus, Dark Blast, Moonbeam and Shockwave. She doesn't even have Assassin's Strike. With the ATOs, it is surprisingly potent. ST DPS was in the 250-270 range, which is of course significantly less than a normal Stalker but still more than enough to solo ++ AVs and TFs.

Save for that, I'm going to echo the above suggestions. /dev and /nin blasters are your friends here.

• Like 1

Blasters already do more damage than Stalkers. 

And there's a Ninja Secondary for Blasters already with a bonus damage from hide.  

Though one with build-up might be better YMMV 

Just pick a Primary with a Snipe. 

8 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

Something super stealthy that can do massive single target damage at range, with the ability to dodge/absorb damage or get out of combat in a hurry if things go sideways

I have an AR/Dev blaster. Her snipe can, at level 26, 1 shot minions that are +2 (or more), LTs at +1, and almost 1 shot a boss at +0. This is with generic IOs slotted, so no set bonuses.

Of course, all of that depends on the foe's resists.

I'm sure some of the other power-sets with a snipe could do just as well, if not better.

Also, I have another blaster that uses the Celerity: Stealth enhancement in Super Speed. Makes for a nice in your face start for a Fire/En Blapper.

I agree with Ninjutsu on Blasters to mimic a Stalker's stealth.

Edit - Wait I read your post wrong. I thought you were trying to make a Stalker into a ranged dps, but you just want to mimic a stalker's stealth. My fault for reading this while doing a million other things.

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 1

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰