D.P.S.

Joshex

18 hours ago, Greycat said:

To be honest, I pretty much read this and went, "...ok, and?" Call them groucho, harpo and chico for all I care. Honestly I don't worry about what's on a team as long as the people aren't jerks.

RIP Zeppo, I'll remember you if nobody else will. 

The Zeppo Marx Fan Club starts here!

th?id=OIP.trJL9MfIdYKOpUOh5cN5fAHaJ4%26p

... and judging by the photo, ends here, too.

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Joshex said:

In this case DPS can have 4 meanings. Which do you mean? it's far too ambiguous. My tank is built for damage does that make it not a tank? would you argue it is a tank but not DPS?

It's quite simple. If someone is looking for DPS they want damage, tank would be for aggro management (not limited to tank AT), and support for heals, buffs, de-buff and control.

Now if you want to build your tank for DPS and it can't taunt or manage aggro then what do you think it would be out of the choices above?

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Um, actually... DPS isn't even the best method for measuring damage output in CoH.  Due to its combat mechanics, the better method is DPA: damage per activation time

So whenever I see someone asking for or bragging about DPS, I automatically know they're a noob and snort in derision from my upturned nose.  "Get thee hence back to WoW, noob," is what I'm usually tempted to say, but don't, because I already know I'm better than everyone else.

Then I go back to wondering why nobody ever wants to team with me.  😭

😄😜😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

RIP Zeppo, I'll remember you if nobody else will. 

I remember Zeppo.  He was essential to the Marx Bros as the company's built-in straight man.  He was also flexible enough to take on the role of any of his brothers, and often filled in whenever one of them was unable to perform.  Zeppo and his brother Gummo founded the theatrical agency that represented the Marx Bros, and eventually went to become an engineer.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppo_Marx

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

12 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Um, actually... DPS isn't even the best method for measuring damage output in CoH.  Due to its combat mechanics, the better method is DPA: damage per activation time

So whenever I see someone asking for or bragging about DPS, I automatically know they're a noob and snort in derision from my upturned nose.  "Get thee hence back to WoW, noob," is what I'm usually tempted to say, but don't, because I already know I'm better than everyone else.

Then I go back to wondering why nobody ever wants to team with me.  😭

😄😜😁

I'll team with ya, Rath, you so good you can carry me 😝

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

It's quite simple. If someone is looking for DPS they want damage, tank would be for aggro management (not limited to tank AT), and support for heals, buffs, de-buff and control.

Now if you want to build your tank for DPS and it can't taunt or manage aggro then what do you think it would be out of the choices above?

a DMG tank. it's validly "DPS" by being damage according to your rules, and validly a tank. assuming it has to be one might be an argument fault. I have my own personal nuke, with heavy armor.

so again the term DPS as a noun to describe a class is wrong. grammatically, and in the fact it has too many meanings.

You want DPS??  

Just go Fire/Rad tollers.  Even on SO's you get 2-3 together they are the best at everything, A team of 8 will destroy anything in the game, no other AT's needed.

Nowadays any combo of any AT will do that with incarnates and IO's. So now DPS is moot.

• Thanks 1

DPS (damage per second) became shorthand for ‘characters who deal damage’. More useful in other games where the roles are more clearly defined. In CoH it doesn’t have much purpose since there is so much overlap of roles.

...was there anything else? 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Hey @Joshex I just want to point out that the term DPS long predates both WoW and LoL by a decade or more.  I wanted to say it came with text based MUDS, but I think I am mis-remembering that. But I know I heard if quite a bit before MMORPGs became a thing, at minimum alongside Diablo.

Edited by subbacultchas

On 5/30/2020 at 3:29 PM, Haijinx said:

This is why peeps should close the new General Tab.

I swear to something, I see more misinformation there than anything. It's like someone's take on the forums that never actually reads anything in the forums.

I've put some misinfo in my time out there too, been corrected and moved along. But man this has just been wild.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:05 AM, Joshex said:

a DMG tank. it's validly "DPS" by being damage according to your rules, and validly a tank. assuming it has to be one might be an argument fault. I have my own personal nuke, with heavy armor.

so again the term DPS as a noun to describe a class is wrong. grammatically, and in the fact it has too many meanings.

Again DPS is just a long time gaming term for damage dealers. I didn't create the term, but as a gamer I understand what is meant by most people when they use it. Now if your tank can be both a good tank and damage dealer, then the team is getting a win win. Though I suspect that if your a tank, they may be predisposed to you filling the aggro management roll since damage dealers are a dime a dozen.

Edited by Crimsonpyre

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I ran into something along those lines...tank said he not aggro management he is damage tank. I was like wtf? but hey to each is own I guess. Kinda what makes this game special, you can make whatever you fancy and it will still probably work,maybe not great and maybe not what team had hoped,but still.

7 hours ago, subbacultchas said:

I swear to something, I see more misinformation there than anything. It's like someone's take on the forums that never actually reads anything in the forums.

I've put some misinfo in my time out there too, been corrected and moved along. But man this has just been wild.

Yup. The creation of that channel to get people who used Help for idle conversation wasn't a great idea. Most of the people that complained about the conversations in Help weren't answering questions and now that General exists, people go there to ask questions because of how much activity that channel has compared to Help. Unfortunately, many people in General aren't interested in helping people so now we have a Help channel that gets no use and a General channel spreading misinformation.

Such a great system.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

12 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Again DPS is just a long time gaming term for damage dealers. I didn't create the term, but as a gamer I understand what is meant by most people when they use it. Now if your tank can be both a good tank and damage dealer, then the team is getting a win win. Though I suspect that if your a tank, they may be predisposed to you filling the aggro management roll since damage dealers are a dime a dozen.

and it replaced a more appropriate term "DMG".

yes my tank is a win/win. crap tonnes of def, res, regen and damage.

14 hours ago, subbacultchas said:

Hey @Joshex I just want to point out that the term DPS long predates both WoW and LoL by a decade or more.  I wanted to say it came with text based MUDS, but I think I am mis-remembering that. But I know I heard if quite a bit before MMORPGs became a thing, at minimum alongside Diablo.

Before Recently (the last few years) I never heard of DPS as a type of class or description of a class. Before that it was merely a statistical calculation. It took me by surprise when I had to teach a lesson on MMOs and they said DPS meant damage dealer, I thought it was a case of chinglish and corrected it. That's how new this incorrect usage is. given the lesson was about WoW I assumed it must have originated over there in this context and let my mind fill in the blanks "someone said 'wow my dps is good on this', then someone else said 'I'm gonna make a character like that and be a DPS too' and it all went down hill from there." in fact the more I dig into this the more I'm inclined to believe this is generally speaking how it went down.

I think I'm done here, from here on, everyone who actually even in the slightest notices the problems with the term being misused this way has already read this thread and decided not to use it that way. From the rest of this thread it would seem it's nothing more than attempts to justify it without addressing it's flaws.

It's a phrase that means something different to each player that uses it.. that alone disqualifies it's usefulness. There's no justifying that, even if other people started using it and it becomes a standard term in other games (for what ever reason, whether they were knowledgeable about the original usage or ignorant, it really doesn't matter at this point.), there is still no justifying it because it has 4 possible meanings in the same context. Use dmg or dd if you must, those terms are far older and far predate dps in this wrong usage..

DPS means the rate at which you can deal damage averaged over time, end of story. it's a number. No, you cannot be one; Are you a number? you can have High DPS, or OK DPS, or Low DPS, if you must; you can say "I'm a High DPS build" where Build is the AT/class noun and DPS is the numeric noun, and high is the adjective.

English lesson over.

19 minutes ago, Joshex said:

Before Recently (the last few years) I never heard of DPS as a type of class or description of a class. Before that it was merely a statistical calculation. It took me by surprise when I had to teach a lesson on MMOs and they said DPS meant damage dealer, I thought it was a case of chinglish and corrected it. That's how new this incorrect usage is. given the lesson was about WoW I assumed it must have originated over there in this context and let my mind fill in the blanks "someone said 'wow my dps is good on this', then someone else said 'I'm gonna make a character like that and be a DPS too' and it all went down hill from there." in fact the more I dig into this the more I'm inclined to believe this is generally speaking how it went down.

I think I'm done here, from here on, everyone who actually even in the slightest notices the problems with the term being misused this way has already read this thread and decided not to use it that way. From the rest of this thread it would seem it's nothing more than attempts to justify it without addressing it's flaws.

It's a phrase that means something different to each player that uses it.. that alone disqualifies it's usefulness. There's no justifying that, even if other people started using it and it becomes a standard term in other games (for what ever reason, whether they were knowledgeable about the original usage or ignorant, it really doesn't matter at this point.), there is still no justifying it because it has 4 possible meanings in the same context. Use dmg or dd if you must, those terms are far older and far predate dps in this wrong usage..

DPS means the rate at which you can deal damage averaged over time, end of story. it's a number. No, you cannot be one; Are you a number? you can have High DPS, or OK DPS, or Low DPS, if you must; you can say "I'm a High DPS build" where Build is the AT/class noun and DPS is the numeric noun, and high is the adjective.

English lesson over.

Have you ever studied etymology or the evolution of language? Or how terms and phrases evolve over time and become repurposed and eventually mean different things? 

I agree that having terminology everyone understands is useful (see the ‘steamrolling’ thread from last week), but you also have to account for the natural evolution of language. It flows like a river, constantly evolving and updating and adapting to meet contemporary needs. It is not a static thing (for that, try Latin). 

DPS is just a phrase that got repurposed to mean something new to gamers. It’s sort of slang, as you won’t often find games using the term in ‘official language’. You just can’t control how language is used in this way very easily, people won’t stop using it because it’s academically inaccurate.

So in some ways you are right, but in many ways your attempts to police the language (and accompanied frustration) is very wrong.

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

52 minutes ago, Joshex said:

English lesson over.

Again, what's the point of this thread?

Additionally, this was not an English lesson, as the occurence of grammar, punctuation and prose errors were prolific.

Pointedly, please do not use derogatory terms that have very obvious bigoted undertones such as "chinglesh," as it is highly disrespectful.

Lastly, to nullify any possible argument being attempted, please keep in mind the following,

Language, a means of communication, is a set of signals used between 2 or more people. Language can be any ideas, symbols, signals and means agreed upon, that conveys meaning. In a language, the creation and formation of new "words" occurs continuously, as an addition is used, reused and becomes common.

English, born as an amalgam of as many as 7 different previous languages (and a gutteral street language at that), is a figurative language. This means that it is rooted solely in thought, versus previous languages that were rooted in physical symbols, such as gestures.

Because of this, English has 2 distinct characteristics. One, it has a strikingly different sentence structure, and two, where a vast majority of the language is composed of slang.

Slang, the latter of these two, is the defining characteristic of English. Because of its history and nature, English creates, uses, discards and changes meanings of words more rapidly than all other languages. One need only review the word "dude" and it's numerous uses as evidence.

Thus we see that the use of the word/term DPS may have begun life as an acronym (an abbreviation formed is using the initial letters of other words); however, as is normal and customary in the English language, it became a new word with its own meaning when its use and meaning were applied, accepted and became a common new word for another idea.

Languages are exactly what we make them. Words are made up sounds that we use to convey meaning. Those words are anything we want. When a majority of a population accepts that term as common, the rules of a new word being created are satisfied.

DPS is a word, NOW, similar to "ain't," "y'all," and "dude."

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joshex said:

English lesson over.

Hi.  Thought I would chime in since you seem stuck on words and their meanings.

I love musicals.  I have a dvd collection that spans from 1927 with The Jazz Singer up to 2017 with The Greatest Showman.  In many of these older musicals, lets focus on the 1930s and 1940s, the words gay and queer appear quite a lot.  Gay means happy.  Queer means odd.  I think you know these words seem to have a different meaning in today's society.  My mother (of the generation just before boomers) steadfastly refused to use the new lingo.  Maybe you are of her generation?

In your specific case, D.P.S. means damage over time.  To me, D.P.S. means Department of Public Safety.  Some people in the game, and you yourself, drop the periods and simply use DPS.  Words and phrases can have different meanings to different people in different circumstances.  That's okay.

I am from Texas.  I use a lot of words differently than my friends in other regions might.  For example, "I'm fixin' to go to the store for a coke, you want anything?"  Fixin' to means about to in this case and coke means carbonated beverage regardless of the name on the label.  My nephew, who was raised in Washington and California then attended college in New York had quite a learning curve when he moved down here.

All that said,  I have never been asked my powerset or which role I will fill in a team.  If someone is advertising they are looking for more teammates, I send them a tell saying "yes pls" or "I'll join Yin".  If I see someone advertising they need a tank or a healer or anything very specific like that, I do not join because the way they advertise tells me they are new and dont know three blasters can out tank a tank any day of the week and I usually find playing with those types of people frustrating.  I have seen people advertise "need more damage" but most people understand damage comes in any number of forms.

Maybe you just need to be more picky about the teams you join or the advertisements to which you respond.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:28 AM, Joshex said:

English lesson over.

Not sure what that has to do with what I said man. I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying that as someone who was around when this term came into meaning and changed, I think it pre-dates your experiences. Didn't intend it to mean or suggest anything else.

Leave the English lessons for people that need them please.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:28 AM, EmmySky said:

I am from Texas.  I use a lot of words differently than my friends in other regions might.  For example, "I'm fixin' to go to the store for a coke, you want anything?"  Fixin' to means about to in this case and coke means carbonated beverage regardless of the name on the label.  My nephew, who was raised in Washington and California then attended college in New York had quite a learning curve when he moved down here.

Hello from Louisiana and Arkansas. If you asked for a Coke, I'd know what what you meant. My wife cannot wrap her head around how RC is a Coke, but we know. Oh boy, do we know.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 1:20 PM, SwitchFade said:

Again, what's the point of this thread?

Additionally, this was not an English lesson, as the occurence of grammar, punctuation and prose errors were prolific.

Pointedly, please do not use derogatory terms that have very obvious bigoted undertones such as "chinglesh," as it is highly disrespectful.

Lastly, to nullify any possible argument being attempted, please keep in mind the following,

Language, a means of communication, is a set of signals used between 2 or more people. Language can be any ideas, symbols, signals and means agreed upon, that conveys meaning. In a language, the creation and formation of new "words" occurs continuously, as an addition is used, reused and becomes common.

English, born as an amalgam of as many as 7 different previous languages (and a gutteral street language at that), is a figurative language. This means that it is rooted solely in thought, versus previous languages that were rooted in physical symbols, such as gestures.

Because of this, English has 2 distinct characteristics. One, it has a strikingly different sentence structure, and two, where a vast majority of the language is composed of slang.

Slang, the latter of these two, is the defining characteristic of English. Because of its history and nature, English creates, uses, discards and changes meanings of words more rapidly than all other languages. One need only review the word "dude" and it's numerous uses as evidence.

Thus we see that the use of the word/term DPS may have begun life as an acronym (an abbreviation formed is using the initial letters of other words); however, as is normal and customary in the English language, it became a new word with its own meaning when its use and meaning were applied, accepted and became a common new word for another idea.

Languages are exactly what we make them. Words are made up sounds that we use to convey meaning. Those words are anything we want. When a majority of a population accepts that term as common, the rules of a new word being created are satisfied.

DPS is a word, NOW, similar to "ain't," "y'all," and "dude."

1: the point of this thread is to clarify my position, and attempt to enlighten people with it, and if that failed I'd just write them off as obviously emotionally drawn to the new usage and thus theres no saving them..

2: It was an English lesson. in this case the main point of it was not the words with which you find fault but instead the acronym with which this thread is named after. By explaining that acronym's meaning and explaining why it cannot be correctly understood when used in the "new way" due to meaning conflicts, I have succeeded in making this an English lesson on that one core topic. which was the point.

3: Chinglish was appropriate in this context and was not used in a derogatory manner, the English training school I work for is in fact a chinese company in china, many times they make thier own lesson power-points and specifically ask us to look for errors and list "chinglish" in that exact terminology as one of the things to look for, because they know English isn't their primary language. Chinglish has become a term in the teaching community that is not offensive or derogatory but rather to point out when grammar or other language attributes a student or material may insist are correct are not and that it is due to their own language's attributes not English.

4: You can't nullify future arguments that have yet to happen.

5: language, as a set of signals must be clear and concise. regardless if you and someone else agree on a meaning for a term, if others in the same context agree that it means something different, then theres a communication problem by having multiple meanings and it needs to default to the original meaning.

6: English as a language is primarily rooted in latin, with a secondary germanification, and a tertiary french inclusion of vowel use. it is not an abstract language based on thought. Each word can be traced to a latin meaning by dissecting and comparing parts of the word and degermanifying the word.

7:the sentence structure was more akin to ancient anglosaxon languages such as Gallic,  No, the majority of the language is not composed of slang, it is composed of germanified Latin. thereby it's not slang at all. to call english "mostly slang" would be to call german "entirely latin slang" which would be incorrect and offensive, just as it's incorrect and offensive to insinuate that English is "mostly slang".

8:The change and discarding of the meaning of a word in English must be complete and total to happen at all. there can for instance be two words in English with the same spelling and pronunciation but different meanings. the catch is that they must be used with-in a grammatical context otherwise you are left asking which one they mean. one of the strong points of English is that context means we never have to ask which meaning they meant. D.P.S. as a class or AT or role does not pass this test, thus it is disqualified.

9: your 9th argument is negated by my 8th. DPS as a class noun has 4 meanings that all could be interpreted in the same context. it wouldn't matter if you made it into another meaning IF it was clear what you meant by it to everyone. lacking that clarity and allowing 4 different meanings in the same context is not valid, even for slang.

10: again languages are ONLY what we make them IF what we make them is clear and concise and obeys the rules of the language set before hand, in this case the grammar rules are not being followed and the meaning of the word is up for debate.. so no. Language isn't just a free for all. there is such a thing as language abuse and this is a perfect example of it.

DPS is a word now, it means Damage Per Second. it's a gaming term to describe the average number of damage you can deal over time. due to ambiguity in the class/role noun, the meaning of such cannot be concretely gleaned so it does not meet the criteria for a new English word..

On 6/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, EmmySky said:

Hi.  Thought I would chime in since you seem stuck on words and their meanings.

I love musicals.  I have a dvd collection that spans from 1927 with The Jazz Singer up to 2017 with The Greatest Showman.  In many of these older musicals, lets focus on the 1930s and 1940s, the words gay and queer appear quite a lot.  Gay means happy.  Queer means odd.  I think you know these words seem to have a different meaning in today's society.  My mother (of the generation just before boomers) steadfastly refused to use the new lingo.  Maybe you are of her generation?

In your specific case, D.P.S. means damage over time.  To me, D.P.S. means Department of Public Safety.  Some people in the game, and you yourself, drop the periods and simply use DPS.  Words and phrases can have different meanings to different people in different circumstances.  That's okay.

All that said,  I have never been asked my powerset or which role I will fill in a team.  If someone is advertising they are looking for more teammates, I send them a tell saying "yes pls" or "I'll join Yin".  If I see someone advertising they need a tank or a healer or anything very specific like that, I do not join because the way they advertise tells me they are new and dont know three blasters can out tank a tank any day of the week and I usually find playing with those types of people frustrating.  I have seen people advertise "need more damage" but most people understand damage comes in any number of forms.

Maybe you just need to be more picky about the teams you join or the advertisements to which you respond.

Context  and concrete meanings are key aspects of a real word.

lets make a silly example: "iftsx" (good luck pronouncing that one.) lets say I say the meaning is "1 person" but someone else feels it should mean "1 anything", then someone else thinks it should mean "1 man" and another thinks it should mean "1 woman", there is now a conflict in the infancy of the word. That conflict will have to be fixed before it can be a valid language article. DPS has that conflict in the "new meaning". and getting everyone to come to the same conclusion about it's meaning when it is "open to individual interpretation" is very unlikely. So that being said, it does not fall under the same rules as "gay" or "queer" which have concrete meanings in their new intended usage.

Edited by Joshex
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

Hello from Louisiana and Arkansas. If you asked for a Coke, I'd know what what you meant. My wife cannot wrap her head around how RC is a Coke, but we know. Oh boy, do we know.

situational (locale) context. it's the same with "pop" in the UK they have no clue what you mean, you have to say "soda" or "juice", oddly enough juice has a completely different meaning in the states. even so, you will find communities who use it in one specific way. CoH qualifies as a community, here we don't have any official texts to denote the meaning of DPS, so it's technically not a phrase with any other meaning than as an acronym. To suggest otherwise is merely to (as stated); create confusion as to the meaning.

CoH doesn't have 1 or a few "DPS" ATs all ATs can be DPS built, so to use it in this context here.. makes no sense and has too many meanings.

45 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

Not sure what that has to do with what I said man. I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying that as someone who was around when this term came into meaning and changed, I think it pre-dates your experiences. Didn't intend it to mean or suggest anything else.

Leave the English lessons for people that need them please.

I was around when it came into being, and I was on hiatus in online gaming when it "evolved". I only came back for CoH. been years.

1985 if you must know, my first game system I can remember was a green/yellow pixel dot matrix gameboy, before that I played mainly atari and NES at a friends house. Arcades and cardgames such as MTG were a fun past time.

I find fault with the term as used for the reasons stated, it would need to be more clear.  and I know that DMG predates it. so there is no need to use DPS in this manner.

11 minutes ago, Joshex said:

the point of this thread is to clarify my position, and attempt to enlighten people with it, and if that failed I'd just write them off as obviously emotionally drawn to the new usage and thus theres no saving them..

Wow...  Just wow...  No offense Joshex, but you're taking this a bit too seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)