Assault Rifle - Sniper Rifle is still snipe-length cast time in combat

AxerJ

Hey - the sniper rifle ability for at least the blaster's Assault Rifle takes just as long to fire in combat as it does as a snipe out of combat. It makes the power fairly unfun to use in combat.

The ability text reads:

"Sniper Rifle is a powerful piece of hardware. It is very accurate and has a very long range. The impressive round can knock down its target. Like most sniper attacks, you must take your time to aim, so this attack can be interrupted. If used in conjunction with a targeting drone, the Sniper Rifle will do additional damage. If you are engaged in battle this attack becomes instant-cast. If you are not engaged, it will do bonus damage. Damage: Extreme, Recharge: Slow"

Right now, both shots take the same amount of time, but is uninterruptible in combat. Is it only instant if we have 97% to-hit? Or is the 97% to-hit supposed to make it instant at snipe-level damage?

Thank you very much for any help!

Edited by AxerJ

I’m pretty sure it is faster, just not by much. If you use snipe outside of combat, your character will hold the rifle for much longer waiting to shoot. In combat they still do the same animation, but there is no extra delay. I think the ‘instant snipe’ doesn’t mean they’ll fire it like slug, it just means there is no additional wait; it’s ‘instant’. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

21 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

It's still slower than the other fast snipes, and let's face it this set doesn't need more problems.

The only other snipe I have experience with is the one from psychic blast, and AR’s instant snipe is not much slower than that to fire. It also doesn't have a projectile you need to wait for.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

I probably didn't notice psi's being any slower since almost everything in psi feels like you're mailing the attacks. Presumably they balanced the activation times but AR definitely feels slow to me so there could be a hitch in activation vs arcana time. Or I could easily be imagining it slower as part of my general annoyance with what utter rubbish the set is. That was my assumption until this thread gave me some corroboration.

30 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I probably didn't notice psi's being any slower since almost everything in psi feels like you're mailing the attacks. Presumably they balanced the activation times but AR definitely feels slow to me so there could be a hitch in activation vs arcana time. Or I could easily be imagining it slower as part of my general annoyance with what utter rubbish the set is. That was my assumption until this thread gave me some corroboration.

I love AR for my Rad Defender and definitely not rubbish. Full Auto procced out and with a 16~ second recharge is awesome. Probably my favourite character to play. But this isn’t what this thread is about! 😉

Retired, October 2022.

OK I went through my stable and tried out all the snipes I had - fire, rad, beam, elec, dark, archery. That's all except energy (I don't have a nrg blast toon) and psi (my psi is a sentinel which explains why i didn't remember the snipe in my above post). There's clearly something wrong with the assault rifle one. It is faster in quick mode than long snipe but not by much and it's waaaaay slower than the other quick snipes. I don't have numbers as that would have required recording but it'd be glaringly obvious to anyone who goes to compare them back to back. Oh and my AR is a corr so it's not just the blaster version.

I'd like to point out I did a bit of testing on this ages ago and my results were the following:

AR's snipe does NOT have the slow/fast animations....it only has the slow animation but to compensate for that IN COMBAT, it does increased damage (and is still insta-cast) compared to the other snipe powers.

This is the only snipe attack that has this particular mechanical setup, all others use the fast/slow setup otherwise. While yeah its still slow...AR's snipe is legit one of the highest single target attacks in the game, more so if you're running devices with it as well (like I'm hitting 700-800 in-combat, and 1K+ out-of-combat).

• Like 1

Mids has them as all being the same damage. Oddly AR's gets a better DPA number since its long animation is evidently shorter than that of the others. Maybe this is meant to compensate. But unless it came in the last update I've not added, clicking the quick form button in mids doesn't adjust the cast time numbers so it's hard to tell from there.