Can MM Tank for a Duo?

Natti

Casual couple who play together.  We are not looking for End Game or PvP as much as enjoying the journey getting there in ways that work.  

Can a MM Tank for a Duo, and if so any good build ideas to enjoy the growing up phase?

Thank you 🙂

10 minutes ago, Natti said:

Casual couple who play together.  We are not looking for End Game or PvP as much as enjoying the journey getting there in ways that work.  

Can a MM Tank for a Duo, and if so any good build ideas to enjoy the growing up phase?

Thank you 🙂

To an extent I'd say yes.  They don't taunt, but if you have them attack first (and especially if they are one of the sturdier combo's) it can take enough of the edge off those first strikes, as long as you aren't getting too crazy with difficulty.  Sounds like you want a smooth journey on the way up, so I'd probably do something with /time which I feel is one of the strongest and easiest to use secondaries.  If you stick with it, later on it can almost make you all into tanks.  Almost any primary would work, thugs or bots or even beasts to stack the defense with early would probably be best.

3 minutes ago, Natti said:

Is DUO MM's a good idea or would a Defender / Corruptor / Controller be more effective?

Duo MM's I think would be pretty fun and amazing, but I'm a big MM fan, so might be a bit biased.  Controller wouldn't be bad either so you can lock everything down and don't have to worry about your pets chasing after runners.  The new pet AI and all the slows in /time don't make that something critical to have though.  Go with what seems most fun.  This game is easy enough you don't have to min/max to be effective with any duo really.

3 hours ago, Natti said:

Is DUO MM's a good idea or would a Defender / Corruptor / Controller be more effective?

If you decide to duo, a 2 x Thugs MM team is very powerful because the pet's leadership Def buffs from their Enforcers stack to all the Thugs.    It's strong enough that as long as one of the two you have a heal you'll be able to cruise through missions, regardless of what 2ndaries and pools you pick.     

it would be hectic to do so especially while leveling and you'd have to burn a power pool choice to get some form of taunt.

after the tanker changes, i'd just go with a tanker and let your partner go ham.

8 hours ago, Redlynne said:

A duo of Thugs/TA?

The Rebels Are Doomed™ ...  😎

Lol at least get one set with a heal. 

1 hour ago, Dixa said:

it would be hectic to do so especially while leveling and you'd have to burn a power pool choice to get some form of taunt.

after the tanker changes, i'd just go with a tanker and let your partner go ham.

Like Dixa is saying a MM is never going to have the degree of Taunt a Tanker or even Brute will have, so will never be able to hold aggro as well.      But for casual play 2 x Thugs will be sturdy enough once you get your Enforcers slotted with some +Def.    If you decide to take Provoke from the Presence Pool so you can Taunt on a MM, keep in mind that it needs both Taunt and Accuracy slotting, without that it will miss and the duration will be too short to be useful....

Yeah they can do it pretty well. Tanking is about taking damage and managing aggro. Taking damage isn't hard, MMs do that really well overall. Holding aggro is harder, a blaster will pretty easily be able to pull aggro off of you and onto themselves for instance. But you have OTHER aggro management tools besides taunting things to work with. 

- Bonfire: Probably my favorite patron power. It procs out well with a high recharge build, or with just one slot and a sudden acceleration or like three slots for a sudden acceleration kb->kd and two recharge IOs is an amazing aggro management tool. Even bosses get flipped onto their backs frequently. 

- Buffs and Debuffs: Lots of MM secondaries have ways to reduce incoming damage to anyone via -dam, , -tohit, +def, +res, heals, etc. 

- Control options: Besides bonfire,  a bunch of the secondaries we have also have soft and hard controls which also reduce incoming damage

An MM makes one of the best duo partners, but certain ATs will be...safer...than others around them. Basically anything with it's own defenses will be buffed and helped by sticking by you, anything without has to watch for pulling aggro off you or your pets, but even so benefits from your defenses. 

Bots or thugs with traps, time, cold, or dark. Demons with dark, EA, nature, or thermal, are all builds that don't require much investment to be awesome and with a good bit of investment become demi-god-like. 

Pairs really well with other MMs, VEATS, scrappers, brutes, controllers, and corruptors, pairs well with everything else. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox