A new twist to inspirations

Hi

At this time inspirations come in four tiers of effectiveness and all last 1 minute, you can combine 3 inspirations of a tier and get 1 inspiration of a higher tier or change it into a different inspiration. This is great, but how about a little more flexibility?

I was thinking about the ability to combine 3 inspirations of the same type and they get replaced for the same type and tier but last 3 minutes instead.

Now why 3 minutes? Think of a support class, actually being played and not powered leveled, as they adventure they will inevitably come across mobs that spams status effects (hold the most deadly). When confronted with the status effect spamming mob, once held a break free class of inspiration can be used, note that these have different duration; sadly the tier 3 only last 90 seconds which does not come close to last a mob group fight. But if you could combine 3 tier threes and triple the length you go from 1.5 min to 3 min; which is on the average the normal fight length. Which now changes the approach of many support classes on how to best support the melees in combat, now that the inspiration last 3 min, it is potentially possible that many support classes would stock-up on these and use them in anticipation of major battles. While now resistant to status effects in a manner similar to melee, the support can spend more time positioning and what not to best buff, heal, etc the melee during combat.

Now while the sample was made for support, the melee also get to equally benefit from this as well, for a rage instead of lasting 1 minute now last 3 minutes! Imagine a scrapper using enhanced resist damage and defense that last 3 minutes.

The capability to be enhanced 3 minutes is there, the player has to once a second click an inspiration, so why not as a Quality of Living (QoL) have the ability to convert 1 minute inspirations into 3 minute inspirations?

If one look at our level 50 tray of inspirations we can carry 20 inspirations or have juice for 20 minutes, by having this option that same tray can now last 60 minutes, the tactical implications to the game are delicious and would for sure make the use of inspirations more common than it is now.

The combine 3 for triple the duration should be for all time based inspirations to include Ambrosia and Essence of the Earth.

Hugs 

I worry a bit about blurring the lines between momentary boost (which is what inspirations were meant to be) and long-lasting buff.  I also worry that this would effectively require the creation of 3-minute inspirations--why not just sell those?

That being said, I don't hate this idea.  I'd especially love to be able to merge EoE inspirations to make 3-minute versions, since it might make inspiration management easier for Hami raids.  I also use inspirations rarely enough that I'd routinely have my tray loaded with the 3-minute versions.  It might also be interesting to be able to "sidegrade" a 1-minute tier-3 inspiration to a 3-minute tier-1.

2 hours ago, MsSmart said:

would for sure make the use of inspirations more common than it is now

Anyone not currently using inspirations is either incarnated or IO'ed to the max - or they're a complete idiot.  The former don't need inspirations, and this proposal won't cure the latter condition.

1 hour ago, FrauleinMental said:

I worry a bit about blurring the lines between momentary boost (which is what inspirations were meant to be) and long-lasting buff.

This doesn't blur the lines - it crashes through them like a battleship shell through jello.  It essentially puts a Defender in everyone's inspiration tray.

So, I'm with Redlynne.  I respectfully decline to support this proposal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I'm pretty sure combining three of the same type equals the one of the same level, characters choice.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7 minutes ago, Monos King said:

Wasn't aware we could still do that. 

You can't do that...I just tested it because I was pretty sure you couldn't do it, and you can't.  You can only combine 3 for 1 insp of the same level

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

2 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Anyone not currently using inspirations is either incarnated or IO'ed to the max - or they're a complete idiot.

Like much of the game inspirations are optional. Definitely not required.

2 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

You can only combine 3 for 1 insp of the same level

Thanks for confirming this JB.

I WOULD be in favor of it working the way described. Add it to the wish list for after Energy Transfer is fixed (reverted).

The rest, I don't think is needed.  Maybe the OP is unaware of longer term boosts which are available in the game. Like Super Group boosts (Empowerment Stations, Items of Power, etc).

• Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sort of off-topic but I could support a sort of -res inspiration with moderation (I wouldn't want a team to be able to just stack them infinitely and be OP) but I can see where lots of sets are horrifically disadvantaged by their damage type. Some sets come with -res to help or in procs, but some are just totally absent of -res to help these sets at all, or it isn't consistent enough to count on (like a 1/9 chance to happen when the power goes off). I have no idea how to go about coding it and I really think there are more important things to focus on, but I can see sets like Psi Blast/Psi Melee really appreciating something like this.

4 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Sort of off-topic but I could support a sort of -res inspiration with moderation (I wouldn't want a team to be able to just stack them infinitely and be OP) but I can see where lots of sets are horrifically disadvantaged by their damage type. Some sets come with -res to help or in procs, but some are just totally absent of -res to help these sets at all, or it isn't consistent enough to count on (like a 1/9 chance to happen when the power goes off). I have no idea how to go about coding it and I really think there are more important things to focus on, but I can see sets like Psi Blast/Psi Melee really appreciating something like this.

That's kind of just feeding into the Super Damage Centric Meta, which I'm really not fond of. Sets that don't have -res have another special effect that's their pride and specialty. When you want to hit harder, you enhance damage. Psi has it's own special abilities and strengths, and depending on the enemy psionic damage is its own one up. It's not being disadvantaged if it's just not their advantage. Super not for -res or any other kind of enemy effecting inspirations, tbh.

• Like 1