Red Dead Redemption Online...is it an MMORPG?

Solarverse

I play RDRO from time to time and was involved in a discussion about whether or not RDRO is an MMORPG. In my eyes, I feel like all the requirements to be an MMO is there and has a TON of potential to be one of the best out there...if Rockstar plays their cards right. However, even as it stands now, it to me, has all the requirements to fit as a Sandbox MMO. It has the RPG factor, the multi player factor, the leveling progression, the character customization and the ability customization.

Others feel that it's just nothing more than a FPS game...I just can't see it as an FPS, especially since most play in 3rd person, and the shooter portion of the game is honestly a very minor aspect of the game in comparison on all the things to do there.

What do you think...and why?

• 5 weeks later

Played the online at launch, I remember the constant disconnects and lack of content. Loved it for a while, but once my friends moved on, so did I. I guess in the aspect of it dieing, that's the one way I can call it an MMO.

Otherwise, I can't call it as such. A "level 1" player and a "level 369" player are pretty evenly matched, even if the 369 is using all of the crazy perks and weapons at their disposal. 

The main reason I find it difficult to call it an MMO is that you do not play on established servers. You que up and often find yourself in empty servers, outside of packs of hyena griefers. The lack of PvP and PvE seperation, along with small qued "lobbies" is why I think an online shooter rpg fits it better.

I definitely miss playing it with friends like an MMO.

• Like 1