Jump to content

Hail of Bullets weirdness


Recommended Posts

I am finally getting around to playing and planning a build for my DP/Time blaster, and I noticed something odd about the damage being dealt by Hail of Bullets.  Here is the detailed power info:

image.thumb.png.abf0d7244a2840fb321d2ce26918a6e2.png

 

According to the details, HoB will have a 60% chance for each tick of damage, and deal 70% of the damage in lethal and 30% of the remaining damage in lethal/fire/cold/toxic, depending on what ammunition type is being used.  While running around testing powers looking at my combat log, I noticed that HoB was only dealing the 30% portion of damage to targets.  For example, I run up to a Possessed Scientist and use HoB while toxic ammunition is toggled on:  the scientist takes 10 ticks of toxic damage, but zero no lethal.  I try again with another target but this time with fire ammunition toggled on:  The Possessed Scientist takes 8 ticks of Fire damage of equal strength to the toxic damage from the last test plus 3 additional ticks of -extra- fire damage due to the ammunition type chosen.  I did one more test with standard ammunition, with the same results as the previous two tests except in lethal damage.  As far as I can tell, the combat logs seem to be telling the truth, as the HP loss from my targets are very minimal for the amount of damage that is supposed to be delivered from HoB, and the numbers above each target's head matches what I see in the combat log.

 

So my questions are: What am I doing wrong or not seeing?  Is this a known bug?  Is this a recently introduced issue with HoB?

 

I would greatly appreciate anyone else with a DP/ Blaster (maybe other ATs as well) to test HoB on single mobs and report their findings and combat logs afterwards.

 

Thanks in advanced!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a bug. Post this in the Bug Reports forum. A little while back I round that the smaller ticks of damage (based on ammo type) were doing weird things. Standard did the 60% chance to tick, while Chemical and Fire ammo would do 100% chance to tick (instead of 60%), and Cold ammo would do 0% chance to tick (instead of 60%). So it's possible around the time of correcting that bug, they made a new bug. Can you do screenshots of your combat log (I know it'll be a mess with all the ticks, but it's worth seeing.


PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bopper said:

Can you do screenshots of your combat log (I know it'll be a mess with all the ticks, but it's worth seeing.

For easy testing you could take a high level character into The Hollows or Perez Park so as to find large clusters of Greys which you can then unload Hail of Bullets into as "test dummies" that won't attack before you're ready and likely won't be able to respond before they're defeated by Hail of Bullets.  You'll overcap on Accuracy (so as to remove that variable) thanks to level shifting so your combat log will only show the relevant portion you're wanting to test ... Hail of Bullets used against piles of $Targets in a cluster.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

For easy testing you could take a high level character into The Hollows or Perez Park so as to find large clusters of Greys which you can then unload Hail of Bullets into as "test dummies" that won't attack before you're ready and likely won't be able to respond before they're defeated by Hail of Bullets.  You'll overcap on Accuracy (so as to remove that variable) thanks to level shifting so your combat log will only show the relevant portion you're wanting to test ... Hail of Bullets used against piles of $Targets in a cluster.

I took your advice and went a step further.  I made an AE map with nothing but level 50 AVs with no attack nor defensive powers as DPS dummies.  With this method, the full HoB salvo can be logged instead of only the first two ticks before the targets are defeated.

 

9 hours ago, Bopper said:

Sounds like a bug. Post this in the Bug Reports forum. A little while back I round that the smaller ticks of damage (based on ammo type) were doing weird things. Standard did the 60% chance to tick, while Chemical and Fire ammo would do 100% chance to tick (instead of 60%), and Cold ammo would do 0% chance to tick (instead of 60%). So it's possible around the time of correcting that bug, they made a new bug. Can you do screenshots of your combat log (I know it'll be a mess with all the ticks, but it's worth seeing.

I enabled chat logging, ran four tests of three casts using each ammunition type against a group of five targets, and copied/pasted each test into their own text file without any special formatting.  They are attached below.

 

Edit for more info:  Hail of Bullets was slotted with 1 Accuracy and 3 Recharge SOs for all tests.  After posting this, I slotted 2 Damage SOs in the power as well to see if that would make any difference; the only change was how much each tick of damage was being dealt, which was 66% more...

 

If this is a bug, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.  I'll make a post in the bug report forums later on today.

HoB-Cryo.txt HoB-Incendiary.txt HoB-Standard.txt HoB-Toxic.txt

Edited by Kommon
More info
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...