Sooo... What's coming up on HC?

On 6/8/2020 at 2:31 PM, ShardWarrior said:

Fairly certain Regen is getting nerfed.

Likely only for Sentinels.  Where, surprisingly, Regen is actually pretty good.

Shhhhh....don’t tell anyone though.

For reals, I fully suspect Procs are going to be hammered into cute trick levels of uselessness SOON(tm).

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

For reals, I fully suspect Procs are going to be hammered into cute trick levels of uselessness SOON(tm).

Agreed.  I think the devs are sick and tired of getting flamed for everything they try to do, so they've gone into "silent running" mode.  I suspect they're quietly working on changes they know would get a lot of blowback if they announced them in advance, so they're just keeping quiet until it's too late.  But I don't think they understand that's just going to make the blowback worse, not better.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• City Council
On 6/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, Sovera said:

Something happened to the current team though. No idea what. At first glance I'd say Corona but that usually means stay-at-home which is where HC business should have been happening anyway. The flux of news completely stopped, we have no patches, and more importantly, we have no information.

It's fine, the game is up and running so we don't *need* any of those things to log in and have our fun.

We're all still alive - real life has just been incredibly busy for many of us in recent months. Most of this is due to (or made signiciantly worse by) Coronavirus-related problems, and some of it just really bad timing. For the moment we're having to prioritise the small amount of free time we have available for the project, which means some things aren't getting much attention. The talks are still ongoing, and as that's the most important thing for the long-term goals that Homecoming has, it is the priority.

From a development standpoint there's several things which are in progress (some of which are nearly ready for testing), but right now we don't actually have the capacity to run live development, testing and iteration on those features (see the Enhancement changes being stuck in limbo for an example of this). Once that capacity returns we'll start to see stuff hitting the test servers again.

Whilst all of this is going on it's still a priority of ours to ensure the consistent and stable operation of the server. Our fantastic GM team has been critical in facilitatin this, so please be sure to thank them if you see them around 🙂 

On 6/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, ShardWarrior said:

Fairly certain Regen is getting nerfed.

Can we really update the game without nerfing regen?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I certainly understand how real-life can take precedence, and that voluntary projects have to be prioritized accordingly.  I don't think anyone would disagree.  My only concern is that while HC is is obviously the largest, most stable environment, that caters to both MAC, and Windows environments; the other servers are out there adding those little "shiny" things that get folks attention, and entice them to head over to try them.  Stability is fantastic, and I appreciate it above any "shiny" of the week costume piece, or new Mastermind pet.  But, there are a number of folks who prefer the latter, and are leaving.  I'd hate to see our momentum drift away at this stage of the game.  On the other hand, I'll also be the first to admit that I could be generalizing what I read in the various platforms that I belong to for the disparate incarnations of the game, and interpreting it as worse than it really is in reality.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

• City Council
30 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

But, there are a number of folks who prefer the latter, and are leaving.  I'd hate to see our momentum drift away at this stage of the game.  On the other hand, I'll also be the first to admit that I could be generalizing what I read in the various platforms that I belong to for the disparate incarnations of the game, and interpreting it as worse than it really is in reality.

Monthly registration, monthly active accounts and average concurrent players have all increased significantly this year, as you may expect. Things have dipped a little bit in the last month as lockdowns worldwide have eased, but we're still about 30% busier than we were in December.

So... it's possible a handful of vocal people are talking about leaving, but in reality there's been no noticeable drop in population.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

There ya have it!  The numbers speak, and allay my concerns!  I knew some would cry "squirrel" and run for the new stuff.  But, apparently the majority of us know what we have, and a reasonable idea of what the future will bring (perhaps not specifics, but in general).  We're good with just playing the game, enjoying the second chance we have all been given, and keeping a weather eye on the horizon for the things that we know will justify our choice a thousand times over.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Abraxus said:

But, there are a number of folks who prefer the latter, and are leaving.  I'd hate to see our momentum drift away at this stage of the game. 

Nah..

While some number may be taking a break, trying out new things, or victims of lockup ADD; the forum new registrations and online users has not plummeted.

Folks come and go c'est la vie.

Kudos and many a thank you to the Homecoming team. You are appreciated.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

no, actually. never played it. will it be an EM scale "nuke it till it glows and then nuke it a bit more" nerf or simply tuning a power down that is over performing?

Anticipate at some point a minor adjustment, mostly for the better. Soon™ = unlikely and definitely not without an extended testing and notification period.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

21 minutes ago, Troo said:

Nah..

While some number may be taking a break, trying out new things, or victims of lockup ADD the forum new registrations and online users has not plummeted. Folks come and go c'est la vie.

Kudos and many a thank you to the Homecoming team. You are appreciated.

What had me so concerned were specific posts in various CoH related Discord servers, and FB groups saying things to the effect of "Hey!  XXXXXXX server has this new kewl thing.  I'm wanting to try it out, but I don't know how to do it.  Anybody help?".  Or "Stability, and large numbers are great, but I just GOTTA try this new thing!  XXXXXX server, here I come!".  

But, apparently the numbers are small enough not to be of major concern, so I won't be concerned.

Edited by Abraxus

42 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

What had me so concerned were specific posts in various CoH related Discord servers, and FB groups saying things to the effect of "Hey!  XXXXXXX server has this new kewl thing.  I'm wanting to try it out, but I don't know how to do it.  Anybody help?".  Or "Stability, and large numbers are great, but I just GOTTA try this new thing!  XXXXXX server, here I come!".  

But, apparently the numbers are small enough not to be of major concern, so I won't be concerned.

Could be the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, a.k.a. the "frequency illusion".

"This phenomenon occurs when the thing you've just noticed, experienced or been told about suddenly crops up constantly. It gives you the feeling that out of nowhere, pretty much everyone and their cousin are talking about the subject -- or that it is swiftly surrounding you."

• Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Like I didn't even know storage facilities were a thing but after I worked at one I spot them immediately and at first i thought "wow.  These got popular fast."   But they had been there for years, just invisible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rathulfr said:

Could be the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, a.k.a. the "frequency illusion".

Well, I always assume that I only actually see about 10% of what is being written about anything regarding the game, if even that much.  So, given the number of them that I saw, and the associated extrapolation based on that estimate, I figured the problem for worse than the statistics currently show.  But, if Jimmy sees the numbers, and says it's not a mass exodus, then I figure he has access to much more pertinent data than my anecdotal examples.  

18 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

The way I see it, we only have two options to choose from here.

We can either declare "why nerd regent jimmy" as the new counter-meme to "nerf Regen,"

or

We can officially coronate @Jimmy as the Nerd Regent.

Anything else would be a grave affront.

Nerd Regent seems an appropriate title.

• Like 2