Why do I never see Rest or the Prestige Sprints as mules?

Menelruin

Was just noticing on a build how they took Physical Perfection as a 1-slot wonder for Performance Shifter: Chance for Endurance, and was thinking, that could've just gone into Rest, and freed up that slot for something else.  I was just wondering why I never see anything slotted in these, even if it's just a mule like as described above.

Performance shifter is technically a proc, so the +end would only trigger when you used Rest. The reason it works so well in Stamina is that Stamina is power that's always on, so it just quietly does its thing in the background. I don't even think Rest can take any IOs other than the standard ones...

For the prestige sprints, there's just nothing that great you could put in them other than the +stealth enhancement. The +2.25% resistance bonus you can get from adding in another enhancement isn't terrible, but it's really the best of a mediocre selection.

• Thanks 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

12 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

Was just noticing on a build how they took Physical Perfection as a 1-slot wonder for Performance Shifter: Chance for Endurance, and was thinking, that could've just gone into Rest, and freed up that slot for something else.  I was just wondering why I never see anything slotted in these, even if it's just a mule like as described above.

Rest takes regular IOs but it doesn't take heal sets or end mod sets, the only sets the Sprints take are run & jump sets

Edited by Chance Jackson
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chance Jackson said:

Rest takes regular IOs but it doesn't take heal sets or end mod sets, the only sets the Sprints take are run & jump sets

I've seen a build where a Granite tank used a 2 piece jump set I think in the prestige powers for a 6% run speed boost per. That's the only time I've seen it, and I couldn't get myself to do the same on mine.

You can only use plain IO in most of the base powers all classes get. 

Sprints/Prestige can only use IO plain, or IO Travel; they can't use Universal IO set.  Stealth works, No Steadfast +Knockback protection.

Rest takes only normal IO. 

Brawl takes melee sets and normal IO

Swift Hurdle take normal IO

Health/Stamina take normal or IO sets for heal/endurance.

• Thanks 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I got excited for a second. I was thinking perhaps rest could be a good mule for Synapse Shock +15% Run Speed. But if it only takes IOs, then nevermind. Makes sense though, as Preventative Medicine +Absorb would become an automatic mule

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

On Tanks, I will occasionally have 2 sprints: The default slotted with a Stealth piece, and a prestige slotted with simple Run IO. If a team is sprinting through a large (crowded tunnel) map, sometimes I don't want to cluster all the mobs if I can help it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tidge said:

On Tanks, I will occasionally have 2 sprints: The default slotted with a Stealth piece, and a prestige slotted with simple Run IO. If a team is sprinting through a large (crowded tunnel) map, sometimes I don't want to cluster all the mobs if I can help it.

I do this as a standard feature of all of my builds.  Every build except my Kheldians puts the Stealth IO into Sprint (the Kheldians put it into Dwarf Step instead) ... and then put common Run IOs into Prestige Power Slide and the Prestige Sprint of preference (I like Power Surge for the multi-colored glow when moving look that doesn't trail behind you over all the other options).  That way, I can pick the best "look" for different occasions.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

17 hours ago, Bopper said:

I got excited for a second. I was thinking perhaps rest could be a good mule for Synapse Shock +15% Run Speed. But if it only takes IOs, then nevermind. Makes sense though, as Preventative Medicine +Absorb would become an automatic mule

hmmm...i wonder if the preventive med proc would work as i have it in things that are not being activated and it still procs.

On a stealther, I always put a stealth IO, either Celebrity or Unbounded Leap, into Sprint.  I use the prestige sprint when I don't want it on, which isn't very often. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

13 minutes ago, Yoru-hime said:

I put a run speed into Sprint and +Stealth into Prestige Surge. I feel like the FX for that one go well with the Stealth and help me figure out why that NPC I'm trying to rescue just isn't cooperating.

I was just about to post that this is what I do. I appreciate having the basic sprint NOT have any extra FX because sometimes you just want to run quicker; Surge is my goto for the Stealth IO since it’s just adding some extra FX to what’s already there and the glow associated with movement makes it easier to see where you’re at in some crowded scrums.

But then, I’m someone who had to delete and re-roll my Devices blaster over their sustain also making you almost unseeable (which was not reflected by the power customization bar at creation at all... “Blue aura, but you can still see yourself? Okay, I can live with a blue aura.”).

I like looking at the characters I painstakingly design... not at some empty space they occupy because of stealth effects.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, Menelruin said:

Physical Perfection is a fantastic 1-slot wonder.  First, if blue side, it’s just a normal epic, meaning you don’t have to go red side and do the PPP to snag it.  Second, both it and Superior Conditioning in the same set mean you have two places to put any of the really good Heal procs (+Absorb, +Regen, etc), Panacea or one of the two ENDMOD procs (Perf Shifter +END or the newer Power Transfer Chance to Heal Self).  

Both are also Auto, meaning zero END burn.  And since you usually aren’t taking them until your 40’s, all your slots can go to your more powerful Primary and Secondary power sets.  

Honestly, for most Defense and Resistance based sets that can already achieve DEF or RES softcap (or RES hardcap), unless you need the damage from something like Pyre Mastery/Fireball, there’s very little reason to look elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, Menelruin said:

Was just noticing on a build how they took Physical Perfection as a 1-slot wonder for Performance Shifter: Chance for Endurance, and was thinking, that could've just gone into Rest, and freed up that slot for something else. 

Even if Rest could take the Performance Shifter proc and have it be useful, it's not a unique IO and taking Physical Perfection to slot another PS proc would still be a good idea.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:38 AM, tidge said:

On Tanks, I will occasionally have 2 sprints: The default slotted with a Stealth piece, and a prestige slotted with simple Run IO.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, Heraclea said:

On a stealther, I always put a stealth IO, either Celebrity or Unbounded Leap, into Sprint.  I use the prestige sprint when I don't want it on, which isn't very often. 

Fascinating.  I do the exact opposite.  On any character that is getting a stealth IO, I put it into one of the prestige sprints rather than regular sprint.

And my reason is . . .

Every character has a default keybind to control the sprint power so it doesn't take up space in my trays.  I only have a handful of characters using a stealth IO so they have a prestige sprint in the tray since they're the exceptions.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Fascinating.  I do the exact opposite.  On any character that is getting a stealth IO, I put it into one of the prestige sprints rather than regular sprint.

And my reason is . . .

Every character has a default keybind to control the sprint power so it doesn't take up space in my trays.  I only have a handful of characters using a stealth IO so they have a prestige sprint in the tray since they're the exceptions.

Whereas every character I have except the tank (doesn't need it) and the stalker (ditto, for obvious reasons) has Superspeed plus the Stealth IO in Sprint for full inviso. 🙂 

I did see a build where someone on Live, where it was probably 500M+ Inf, five slotted Brawl with purples for the recharge bonus.  

Edited by Scientist

2 hours ago, Scientist said:

Whereas every character I have except the tank (doesn't need it) and the stalker (ditto, for obvious reasons) has Superspeed plus the Stealth IO in Sprint for full inviso. 🙂 

I did see a build where someone on Live, where it was probably 500M+ Inf, five slotted Brawl with purples for the recharge bonus.  

And here I put the Stealth IO in Superspeed itself...🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scientist said:

I did see a build where someone on Live, where it was probably 500M+ Inf, five slotted Brawl with purples for the recharge bonus

I feel personally attacked. But to be fair, also did it for the recovery, accuracy, and F/C resistances.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

3 hours ago, Bopper said:

I feel personally attacked. But to be fair, also did it for the recovery, accuracy, and F/C resistances.

This is absolutely a reasonable thing to do. Some builds have slot flexibility and want to chase certain bonuses. Slotting brawl etc should never be ruled out as an option. Sometimes it makes sense.

9 hours ago, Scientist said:

I slot brawl in a lot of my builds. Most commonly it is 4 kinetic combats for the S/L defense bonus.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow