Fire/MA: the Brunker, and compilation of Fire Armor builds.

Sovera

I've ran some tests on Degenerative VS a pylon and I'll post them so others can make use of them:

- Reactive 75% chance of DoT: Pretty much same times as Degenerative VS a pylon or slightly better during the testing. In theory the Degenerative ought to have been better but don't ask me the math why Reactive caught up so handily. Maybe the fast Claw attacks plus damage aura plus Burn and its pseudo pet plus ticks from Burn synergized well with the chance to inflict a DoT? I will be using this for non pylon play since the DoT and the -res would be more useful on lower HP mobs.

My reasoning is that I spend 1% of my time hitting AVs and pylons and while the -res is mostly negated on AVs due to debuff resistance since it's a popular Interface choice someone will be using it anyway. When that happens us using it won't matter since it does not stack between multiple players. At that point the 75% chance for a DoT will do more.

I.E. Three players have Degenerative. All three hit the AV. The stacks immediately reach maximum and now the only thing we extract from the Interface is the 25% Minor toxic DoT. Now lets say three players have Reactive. Same scenario in that the stacks build to maximum straight away and stay there. But now we have 75% chance of a Moderate DoT. ... all in all I do so long for a nice clean DPS meter like WoW has since I could check how much % of the total damage the DoT actually does.

It's important to notice that on AVs there will be more bang for the buck with Degenerative. The -HP mechanic has no resists anywhere. Anyone hit with it will get a -% of their maximum HP shaved off, which in turn means less regeneration ticks since regeneration is based on maximum HP. On the other hand -resists IS resisted by AV AS WELL as having a portion negated the higher up in level difference we are. Since an AV will be +3 on top of the resist debuff it makes the -res aspect of the Interface near useless.

- Pre-emptive 75% chance of DoT: simply to test the DoT. Tested against normal mobs and none were in the slightest bothered by the -endurance and -recovery 😄 A good 30 seconds past Degenerative by the time I stopped since the pylon was still up.

- Degenerative 75% chance for DoT: Near exact same times as Degenerative 25% chance for DoT. The extra Dot damage seems to have washed out the lesser upkeep of the -HP debuff.

While I was at this I tested the Hybrid toggles.

- Assault Core Embodiment VS Assault Radial Embodiment: +damage chance on each attack VS double hit chance. While it is long forum knowledge that the +damage is better for solo/non-kin-in-the-party and double hit is better when-a-kin-in-the-party in this particular case and for single target damage it was a wash. Same pylon defeat numbers either way. What small difference there was can be chalked to RNG. But when doing AoE each enemy hit has a chance to apply the stacks of +damage and it wins out because of that.

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1

I have also found that a friend I had bullied into trying the build had skimmed past the jump pack interaction with Hover and the reason why I took Fly so late.

So to make it clearer:

Hover

wknAiGg.png?1

Hover + one of jump packs

sBEluRM.png?1

Fly + Afterburner

i6Tayfv.png?1

Fly + Afterburner + one of the jump packs

XlTJ1LA.png?1

Information obtained from Booper's guide.

Edited by Sovera

On 6/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Hjarki said:

Consume gives you End Resist. You just need to use it before you encounter enemies that End Drain.

WTAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've mained a Fire tanker foreeeeeeeeeever and I never knew this! I just took to targeting Sappers first. But, now that I know this, woe betide the Malta. Woe.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, VV said:

WTAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've mained a Fire tanker foreeeeeeeeeever and I never knew this! I just took to targeting Sappers first. But, now that I know this, woe betide the Malta. Woe.

Bring them the woe! BRING IT!!!

I decided to try a Fire/Fire variant since Fiery Embrace + Fire Melee seems like a match in heaven.

Edit: at the time of writing this I still believed that Fiery Embrace did a 100% boost to fire damage which is not true.

The good:

- Burst. Fiery Embrace + anything is chunky damage. I found I could Build-up for one pack, then FE for the next, then BU again for the next. Only the fourth pack would have these two both still recharging. This is pretty good to burst things down. And FE + BU can just liquefy things when high burst is needed.

- Fire is not lethal. I could see I was putting the hurt on things like robots.

- Pretty long AoE chains. In very high AoE situations I found I could Combustion, Fire Sword Circle, Burn, Combustion, gap filled with Fire Sword (for the ATO proc) and then pretty much resume.

The bad:

- Combustion sucks very hard. It should either have a very wide radius and then it does good damage but has a terribly long animation, or it has a wide radius but does low damage and has a fast animation. But low damage AND extremely slow animation is just horrible. It can't even kill the little gears that pop from a Clockwork boss and still costs 3.1 seconds to cast.

- Who thought it was a good idea to make Fire Sword and Fire Sword Circle do a scream FX? Every time, every 3-4 seconds, using Fire Sword makes for a screaming sound. That's really terrible.

- Incinerate is the best attack the set gets... with a long near 5 second DoT. While it does not sound like a lot it means we are going to be wasting Incinerate by hitting the enemy one or two times more while the ticks happen.

- Combustion being so bad means there is hardly a point in using it. I found myself using it once when reaching a pack of enemies and then relying on Fire Sword Circle and Burn to AoE them once minions dead. This means if exemplaring down too much we are with only Burn to really do AoE damage once FSC is out of reach.

- Fire Sword Circle comes too late at 28. This is a common complaint with many Tanker sets that could -really- do with the Axe and MA rework where they got their AoEs down to level 20. Fire Breath is even worse than Combustion and only good for thematic reasons.

- Incinerate at 35 means leveling with Scorch and Fire Sword only for single target. Too much exemplaring brings this back.

- At least two deaths from chaining long animations. 3.1s Combustion and 2.9s FSC is a good way to die if not on top of things.

Fire Melee is not in a good place. Not just for the lack of CC to help mitigate in the set, but also no place to slot the more common -res procs and no place to slot a Force Feedback proc. One would expect for something with these many downsides that it would then explode in terms of damage, but... no. It has a very high Fiery Embrace tax. It means if the set is made to be good enough on its own then it will be highly buffed once FE is used, which means it won't.

I did a quick and unscientific single pylon test and even with Fiery Embrace propping it it was 3:50 without clickies.

Now that said:

- Pylon times are not useful metrics though. Claws are lethal and suffer from enemies resisting them much more than it happens with Fire and this is not something a pylon shows since it resists all damage equally. Were it a lethal resist based test then Fire would have made a better showing of itself.

- The burst of BU with Gaussian + FSC + Burn for one pack of enemies and then FE + Combustion + FSC + Burn for the next is something useful for the short fights that predominate in CoH.

This is the build I was using:

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(7)
Level 1: Scorch -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Fire Sword -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), GldStr-%Dam(17), TchofDth-Dam%(19)
Level 4: Combustion -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Obl-%Dam(45)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(27), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(27), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal(29)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(33), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(36)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 16: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(36), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(37), SynSck-Dam/Rech(37), SynSck-EndMod(37), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(39)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 20: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(42), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(42)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 28: Fire Sword Circle -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Incinerate -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(46), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), TchofDth-Dam%(48)
Level 38: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(50)
Level 41: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(13), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(19), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(21), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(21)
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
------------

Edited by Sovera

Another small test with a Fire/Psi variant.

The good:

- Very easy to achieve ST rotation with TK blow, Psi Blade and Psi Sweep. Burn when up.

- Extremely good places to have FF procs that speed things enough to make chains of Burn, Mass Levitate and Psi Sweep with TK Blow sprinkled here and there.

- Very good mitigation with Mass Levitate. Pretty easy to lock a pack of enemies until it dies.

- Psi Sweep is ok with the tanker patch (about 100-ish degree angle cone).

The bad:

- Animation are slow-ish and stiff. Not too bad, but not too great.

- Being forced to take Mental Strike messes exemplaring with me being forced to take Psi Blade at 28 instead of level 2. Not horrible horrible since lower level content doesn't need min max.

- Very old school ST Tanker damage with a pylon at nearly half HP at the 3 minute mark, This seemed strange since Psi Melee had good Scrapper times with the same rotation (ignoring Greater Psi Sword) but a second test had the same result.

The build I used:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Melee

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(7)
Level 1: Mental Strike -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal(15), Prv-Absorb%(17)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(21), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(23), Hct-Dam%(23)
Level 6: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 8: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(29), SynSck-Dam/Rech(31), SynSck-EndMod(31), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(33), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Erd-%Dam(50)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 20: Concentration -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(40), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(42)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 28: Psi Blade -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(43), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), FcsSmt-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), TchofDth-Dam%(45)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(45)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(46), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
------------

Edited by Sovera

Initial pylon test on my brand new FA/Claws tank, lvl 50 and freshly built, no incarnate powers. 7 minutes. Only 150% global recharge with hasten up. Don't much like that. Attack chain is currently Followup, Focus, Slash, Burn, Followup, Focus, Slash, Pause, Repeat.

Based on what I see now, I'll probably go Musc, Degen, Assault Core as usual but go with Ageless instead of Barrier. Or build both, of course.

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Initial pylon test on my brand new FA/Claws tank, lvl 50 and freshly built, no incarnate powers. 7 minutes. Only 150% global recharge with hasten up. Don't much like that. Attack chain is currently Followup, Focus, Slash, Burn, Followup, Focus, Slash, Pause, Repeat.

Based on what I see now, I'll probably go Musc, Degen, Assault Core as usual but go with Ageless instead of Barrier. Or build both, of course.

Is there even a point in testing without incarnates? Even 'just' Reactive/Degen can shave almost a minute off the time, not even including Musculature and such.

I was pondering my next test to be Street Justice. On another any other combo of power sets it has an annoying 2 second gap while waiting for Crushing Uppercut to recharge, but 'lo, Burn fills that.

Sadly it has bad downsides for me. Two ST skills one at 35 and another at 38 rob it from good examplaring, and being forced to take the T1 robs of the much better alternative of using the T2 that could fit a FF proc. And Spinning Strikes is at 28, ugh.

A more interesting test might be Dual Blades which is nearly a carbon copy of Claws. We get a Follow-up clone with Feint, a nice PbAoE at 16 that recharges pretty damn fast, a good place for FF with Vengeful Slice at 28 (just like Focus), a -res with Ablating Strike (same as with Slash).

But according to Mids all the numbers are better on the Claws. Twice the damage in Spin(!), faster animations (1.3 Focus VS 2.6 Vengeful Slice -and- Focus doing 50 damage more).

5 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Is there even a point in testing without incarnates? Even 'just' Reactive/Degen can shave almost a minute off the time, not even including Musculature and such.

I like getting that baseline.

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

But according to Mids all the numbers are better on the Claws. Twice the damage in Spin(!), faster animations (1.3 Focus VS 2.6 Vengeful Slice -and- Focus doing 50 damage more).

In theory going BF-Attack Vitals Combo adds a good chunk of damage.

Tried a FA/Rad variant now.

The good:

- Gorgeous passive AoE. I was poopoo-ing at Irradiated Ground and how it wasn't -real- AoE, but to my surprise once I obtained it I would Build-up, Burn, and then work at killing a boss and the pack of enemies surrounding it would be dead under the rain of little orange numbers from Burn's aftermath, the damage aura and both Irradiated Ground patches. It was working so well I just soloed Yin, Moonfire and Citadel at +0x8. Seriously, if there is one thing I am envious is this amazing cleave. I was tempted to not even bother with Atom Smasher.

- Fat heal. Even while leveling it was a significant heal back. It is common knowledge the heal is unreliable, and it's true but it's also not. Rad Melee's Build-up power (Fusion) forces Contaminated and I found it simple to Fusion, Burn, Radioactive Smash (force contaminated), Siphon (heal), Radioactive Smash (force contaminated), Siphon (heal).

The bad (surprisingly not much and mostly subjective):

- Ugly and slow animations overall (Radiation Siphon looks so... bad... ). 1.7, 2.3, 2.9 animation times gives me the hives. Devastating Blow in particular has no impact (IMO) that warrants 2.9 second animation and I expected Fiery Embrace to boost it more than it did.

- With Irradiated at 28 anything under Yin's TF will only have Burn for AoE.

I think that basically what's needed to be enjoyable is to get Cross-Punch early. It gives a third attack, gives a bit of AoE, allows to skip Devastating Blow and maybe Atom Smasher (Atom Smasher is good to burst down things though).

The build:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Melee
Power Pool: zc_Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Contaminated Strike -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 4: Radioactive Smash -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), FrcFdb-Rechg%(15), GldStr-%Dam(17)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal(21)
Level 8: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(21), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(23), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(23), SynSck-EndMod(25), SynSck-Dam/Rech(25)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(31)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Radiation Siphon -- HO:Golgi(A), HO:Golgi(33), GldStr-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(33), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), GldStr-%Dam(34)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dam%(36), Erd-%Dam(37)
Level 20: Fusion -- RechRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(37), GssSynFr--Build%(37), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(50)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(39)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 28: Irradiated Ground -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(39), Obl-%Dam(40), Erd-%Dam(40), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 32: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Devastating Blow -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(45)
Level 38: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(48)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
------------

My last one, this brief burst of altitis is over for now. I tried FA/DM in the interim but it did not pass muster. What I did think about was that what Fire Armor really wants is a nice PbAoE that has KD component to speed things up.

Enter Martial Arts.

I posted a while back how I made a 90% res with 45% defense to Melee/Ranged/AoE with Radiation Armor and it wasn't too difficult to adapt it and achieve the same numbers. Due to certain power changes it wasn't as easy to cap Negative/Energy this time around so it takes an iffy three stacks of the ATO to achieve it on top of 5% from Barrier. It can probably be refined a bit more.

The good:

- Works as advertised. The Force Feedback proc in Dragon's Tail is active straight from Posi 2 and it helps a fair bit. BU/FE/Burn comes out of recharge more often which in turns speeds the damage.

- While not a huge achievement a solo Moonfire +1/x8, no insps, no deaths, leveling build thus no fancy IOs and procced to the gills.

- Huge burst with Fiery Embrace and Build-up. For team play maybe stagger their use but I found it better to use both.

- Dragon Tail at level 20 gives a nice push to AoE damage in the low level TFs.

- End build will have 45% to positionals and 90%-ish to the usual. What it means is will also do better at dodging attacks that carry debuffs in it (anything psi with a Ranged tag will thus be avoidable too). Anything with defense debuffs will strip this layer, yes, but not all factions do the stripping and for those who do this -is- a resist based character after all.

The bad:

- The dev who made Synapse is a sadist. Trying to do the already slow TF on top of throwing mobs away with each Dragon Tail (in turn costing damage since they get tossed away from Burn's fire patch) was an exercise in frustration and repeated apologies to the team. Fortunately I had an eager Controller whom I asked to use the mass immobilizes when enemies were clustered around me and that's when I dared to used Dragon Tail. I would never use this character exemped down to do a Synapse with a friend. Or I would swap IOs and put an Overwhelming KB>KD in it.

- Dragon Tail is mediocre. Half the damage of Spin (not using Follow-up) is cringe. Okay okay, it animates near a second faster, it offers mitigation with the KD, and the FF proc in it is a good build accelerator.

- The whole damage of MA feels mediocre though it is hard to tell. Obviously I cannot compare it to Claws(-the- gold standard) since that one coasts from Posi 1 on with Follow-up adding a stacking 30% damage to Spin, to Burn, to Blazing Aura, etc. Since I was starved for slots I did not put in damage procs while leveling either which didn't help.

- Only having Build-up at 28 is not lethal, but it does kill the attractive part of BU recharging faster thanks to the FF procs. The lack of burst is noticeable until Yin. From Yin on the build behaves very well.

- Crippling Axe kick at 35 means waiting until then for the build's ST heavy hitter, but exemplaring is not a problem with a fully slotted Thunder Kick to keep things going without gaps.

The build:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Martial Arts

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Thunder Kick -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(43), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 6: Storm Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(13), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(15), GldStr-%Dam(15)
Level 8: Healing Flames -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(17), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(19), NmnCnv-Heal(19), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(21)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(21), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(23), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(25), Ags-ResDam(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27), Ags-Psi/Status(50)
Level 14: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(29), SynSck-Dam/Rech(31), SynSck-EndMod(31), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(31)
Level 16: Crane Kick -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Erd-%Dam(37)
Level 20: Dragon's Tail -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(37), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(37), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(39)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(40)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 28: Focus Chi -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(42), GssSynFr--Build%(43)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 32: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Crippling Axe Kick -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Hct-Acc/Rchg(46), AchHee-ResDeb%(46)
Level 38: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
------------

So, end result:

- FA/Rad is amazing with the passive AoE. We can just mostly ignore AoE and hit the bosses in a pack of enemies and the rest will die on their own. It just needed Irradiated Ground to be at level 20 instead of 28 to be (near) perfect. Devasting Blow feels terrible to use and I would either work Crossblow in (but I can only fit at around level 30-35) or Proton Sweep (with the Tanker buff it's about ish 100º angle which is decent). Slotting and using Contaminated Strike is a solution but I don't think it really adds anything to the build other than a small gap closer after Smash, Siphon,  Smash.

- FA/MA kind of needs 28 to feel good as well although for different reasons. Mitigation from Dragon's Tail, lots of defense with Storm Kick, the lower damage of this set makes sense with the defense it brings but Fire Armor compensates for it with Burn and Fiery Embrace and Fire Armor loves all those Force Feedback procs.

Of the two I will personally level the FA/MA some more to see how it behaves, but I keep that the FA/Claws as the best rounded character with early AoE, early Follow-up, fast animations and good damage even when super exemped thanks to the stacking effect of FU.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

@Soverathanl you for posting this MA experiment. I’ve been fumbling around with one of these the past few days, and struggling with the build requirements. Great insight!

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Tested the FA/MA on a pylon in the test server. Musculature 45%, Reactive 75% DoT, Hybrid Assault (not clicked).

- 3:29

- 3;16

- 2:59. Quick and dirty test with Hybrid Assault toggled on.

- 3:15 with Hybrid Assault toggled on. ...I confess I sometimes don't really understand what this thing even does.

And since @Bill Z Bubbaraised the notion Burn wasn't helping in ST I also tried once without Burn: 4:13. Martial Arts is not Claws though.

As in all these tests I cheated with the base empowerment KB protection to not be KBed all the time.

I'm not going to lie but it turned out better than I actually expected. It's kind of bit worse version of FA/Claws, except much more defensive thanks to 45% defense to M/R/A instead of just S/L and Melee.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

Trying Fire/SS.

Yeah, I can see why people are in love with double Rage. Taking a nice chunk from a boss, popping FE, simply taking half a boss' HP, etc etc. Still clunky though, that Rage crash is both annoying (WHERE IS MY DAMAGE!) and potentially deadly.

The Rage Crash is a big flow breaker. It's almost like being CCed. Not being able to play for 10 seconds is just not fun, though it can be the moment to use buffs like Consume and such, but still, not fun. The more recharge the more often it happens. I wish I could set an addon with the timer so I don't jump into a group of enemies or pop buffs when it's about to expire.

Leveling to 26/28 was a pain as the set has nothing to its name. No AoE, only KO Blow as a good attack. Being forced to used Punch (itty bitty better than Jab) was horrible as even fully slotted it hit for pathetic damage. Only having paired it with Fire/ made the leveling bearable with Burn pulling the wagon both in ST and AoE.

Reaching Yin the combo takes off. Still no AoE, but Rage and FE make Burn shoot up (speaking of I have a new leveling slotting for Burn that allows to get two damage procs in and mimics the playstyle of level 50) which really makes a huge difference in killing speed.

Reaching 35 allowed to take Gloom and Punch can finally be thrown to the compost heap. Even just leveling and underslotted (so much hunger for slots) I find I can do the rotation I envisioned for level 50 thanks to KO Blow proccing everything like a swiss watch (including a FF proc). I can Burn, KO Blow, Haymaker, Gloom, Burn and repeat which is pretty much what I intended to do just looking at Mids.

Despite the love Footstomp has I'm not impressed. Wide radius, yes, built in KD which does mitigation and carries a FF proc amazingly, yes. But when I pop an AoE I expect damage and even with double Rage it still does less than Spin with just one stack of FU. This is offset by double Rage doing -things- to Burn (not just the initial burst the the burn patch afterwards).

Verdict:

- Sticking to level 50 play and capable of overlooking the jarring Rage crashes? Fire/SS might be your baby. It's Scrappers levels of damage and I'm going to finish leveling and incarnating it to give it a whirl.

- Intending to play with friends who level new alts and be with them as they do their TFs or mission arcs? Fire/Claws. Most well rounded character and damage on wheels exemped down to level 15.

This is the build I will be using at 50:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Super Strength
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Jab -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 4: Haymaker -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(13), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(15), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), TchofDth-Dam%(17), GldStr-%Dam(17)
Level 6: Boxing -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(42)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-ResDam%(19)
Level 10: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(23), Prv-Heal(23), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(27), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(31), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(31), SynSck-Dam/Rech(33), SynSck-EndMod(33), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(33)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Acc/Rchg(34), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Erd-%Dam(36)
Level 20: Knockout Blow -- CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(36), UnbCns-Dam%(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(37), Hct-Dam%(39)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(39)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 28: Rage -- RechRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(40), RctRtc-Pcptn(40)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 32: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43)
Level 35: Gloom -- SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(45), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), CldSns-%Dam(45), GldJvl-Dam%(46), Apc-Dam%(46)
Level 38: Foot Stomp -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 44: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
------------

Hello.  I just became aware of this.  It's very interesting.

I have a DM/SR brute that is very good overall but has certain particular failings.  If you've tried it, how does this build do against the pylons in the Apex task force, and the Clockwork King (in general, but in particular the one on the Lady Grey TF)?

37 minutes ago, garvisdol73 said:

Hello.  I just became aware of this.  It's very interesting.

I have a DM/SR brute that is very good overall but has certain particular failings.  If you've tried it, how does this build do against the pylons in the Apex task force, and the Clockwork King (in general, but in particular the one on the Lady Grey TF)?

The pylons will hurt everybody since if I recall correctly they pulse an auto-hit toxic DoT that stacks (but don't quote me) so if you feel your DM/SR is being shived in the kidneys while you're hitting it you'd be absolutely correct. As a rule I hit Barrier before engaging the pylons and the first and second don't hurt much, while the third forces me to use a heal. Dying isn't something that happens.

As for the clockwork, he is not a menace. I have a big psi hole but he does not hit hard enough or often enough to overcome my healing. And, again, Barrier before the start of the fight does wonders.

The game lacks an Incarnate version of Barrier/Ageless that goes 'click it, you're now at damage cap and then it dwindles until you're at 20% damage for the last minute'. If there was there would be a paradigm shift where we could build sturdy for everything and then use it for burst. (I'm not actually advocating for such an incarnate as it would be a terrible thing for the game's health).

Not having it we have the opposite: build for damage and when in trouble use Barrier to be safe.

In your case you can be really tough with SR, but then lack that Incarnate I mentioned above to push your damage.

To be clear I don't use Barrier on CD to reach 45% even. I tend to do whatever content just as I am and it's only if in trouble that I pop Barrier. Even with Barrier I wouldn't be able to solo the ambush on top of the hill at the first ITF mission without the Incarnate invulnerable pet to share agro (where Invuln and SR would laugh at said ambush), but we can agree that 20+ +3 bosses that debuff recharge and defense is not a common situation (and again, Incarnates help me pass it).

45 minutes ago, Zer0 Hour said:

@Soveraloving your claws/fire build! Which incarnates did you end up liking the most?

I haven't strayed from Musculature 45%, Reactive 75% DoT, Assault 65%, Barrier 120, Pyronic DoT.

So I decided to try a monstrosity of a procced out build. As usual I've cheated with the base empowerment buffs for KB protection and using Recovery Serum to not waste time using Consume.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Claws

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Swipe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 2: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(15), Prv-Heal(15), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 6: Slash -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(19), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), AchHee-ResDeb%(21), TchofDth-Dam%(23), Hct-Dam%(23)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(25), Ksm-ToHit+(27)
Level 10: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33)
Level 14: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(33), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(34), SynSck-Dam/Rech(34), SynSck-EndMod(34), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(36)
Level 16: Spin -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(39), Obl-%Dam(39), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(39), Arm-Dam%(40), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 20: Follow Up -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(42), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), TchofDth-Dam%(42), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(43)
Level 28: Focus -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(43), ExpStr-Dam%(45), GldJvl-Dam%(45), Apc-Dam%(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 32: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(46), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(48), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(37)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17)
------------

Purposefully upped the recharge in Follow-up despite it hurting the procs. FU is where my gap happens and I wanted it lower. Can't say I noticed much change either way. As it I have a 0.6-ish gap here.

3:07 - Not much change.
3:10 - Still not much change. Too many gaps in the rotation.
3:03 - Swapped from Reactive to Degenerative. As usual little difference between Reactive and Degenerative.
2:40 - Swapped from Barrier to Ageless. Now that fixed the gaps alright! But I'm not intending to play without Barrier.
2:05 - Ageless and Assault and Degenerative.
2:20 - Ageless and Assault and Reactive.
3:15 - Went back to the original slotting and just kept the procced out Burn. No appreciable difference.
2:56 - Swapped one of the damage procs in Burn for the Fury. It seems like a much better choice as I almost got the pylon at the 2:45 before it ticked.
3:05 - So... many... misses...
3:02 - Kinda frustrating to see the damn pylon tick at the last moment.
3:30 - Changed the Gaussian for a damage proc.
2:49 - Re-procced Slash on the fact that the gap came from Focus having a higher base recharge. Maybe a fluke.
2:46 - Maybe not a fluke.
3:05 - The 5% chance to miss can go die in a fire. It is near impossible to test small changes with whiffs at crucial moments.
2:46 - Horrid start and even so. Seems like this is the new average.
3:05 - Dontcha hate trying to beat times and hear the lack of sound meaning you're hitting something front of your nose but missed?
2:30 - Degenerative. Slight change in rotation is giving dividends. I've been using Focus second and Slash third. But often I'd use Burn after Focus which wastes the FF proc for the animation time of Burn. This is dumb. I'm dumb. Always using Burn after Slash from now on.
2:41 - Reactive. So small a difference it can be attributed to whiffing.
2:42 - Replaced the Fury in Burn by a Scirroco. This is burstier than the -res proc and the gain/loss seems minimal.
2:30 - Either Fury in Burn or Scirroco times are not dramatically apart. The change in rotation did more than the slotting.
2:46 - Decided to test the theory that the rotation did more than the slotting and returned to the original Burn.
3:37 - Tried to return to Slash's original slotting. Seems like this one does make a difference.
2:43 - Returned to procced out Burn and Slash.
2:47 - This is the new average.

So, the summary is:

- First of all testing something in this game is a nightmare. Missing a few hits can change everything. We have this in other games and can divert stats to reach a 100% hit chance but not in CoH. Here we get to sigh and 'enjoy' it. After I changed the rotation both 2:30 times is when I did not miss as much with the 2:45 as the regular amount of misses.

- Second, Slash can and should be procced. It recharges fast enough and is low in endurance cost that neither stat is needed.

- Third, Focus and Follow-Up ought to stay properly slotted since neither has the recharge to withstand the tight rotation. With infinite slots (and endurance, or not bothered with trying to build defense) Shockwave could be added.

- Burn is six of one and half a dozen of another. All procced up it is trrrremendous burst. But then we throw fewer of them over a long fight. Properly slotted it only gains three seconds though, and the Fury of the Gladiator in Blazing Aura brings very little dividends where instead it sits much better in Burn. But Burn takes to damage procs pretty well with the double chance of them going off and this plays more with the short nature of fights in CoH. If someone has Fury and uses it ours now does nothing. So despite being near sacrilege, yeah, I'm thinking to just dump the Fury. Burn just seems to prefer damage procs and in Blazing Aura it has a pretty limited chance to go off to the point where testing with or without it there showed a difference (but it's difficult to test due to whiffs).

- The best times came with having Fury in Burn and Degenerative. Basically Degenerative is sliiiightly better and gains a few seconds, and Fury in Burn sliiiightly edges ahead by a few seconds. Both combined are enough to beat a pylon before it gets an extra regen tick. This is almost build-for-pylon instead of regular play. For regular play I'd still go with Reactive since regular mobs don't have the HP pool of an AV for the -HP to make a difference, and a Scirroco since burst damage reigns in CoH. Though to be fair I think Fury is fine too. IF no one has it slotted then we are helping the whole team.

- New rotation is Follow-up, Slash, Burn, Focus. Or Follow-up, Burn, Slash, Focus. But trying not to do Focus and then Burn as the animation of Burn wastes half the FF proc.

This is going to be the new official build. Since I exemplar a lot to help friends with their alts and solo/duo TFs I'm keeping the Fury in Burn. I don't think there is a correct answer for this slotting.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Secondary Power Set: Claws

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Swipe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 2: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(15), Prv-Heal(15), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 6: Slash -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(19), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), AchHee-ResDeb%(21), TchofDth-Dam%(23), Hct-Dam%(23)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(25), Ksm-ToHit+(27)
Level 10: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33)
Level 14: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(33), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(34), SynSck-Dam/Rech(34), SynSck-EndMod(34), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(36)
Level 16: Spin -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(39), Obl-%Dam(39), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(39), Arm-Dam%(40), Erd-%Dam(40)
Level 20: Follow Up -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(42), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), TchofDth-Dam%(42), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(43)
Level 28: Focus -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), Apc-Dam%(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 32: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(46), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(48), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A)
Level 38: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(37)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17)
------------

• Like 2

Tested the procced out build and it behaved well. Not much difference in endurance consumption. The slower Burn is noticeable but it comes out regular as a clock after FU and Slash.

I did not notice a huge damage increase in Burn but it only went from 700 damage to 800 (though I don't think Mids takes in consideration Burn's pseudo-pet second chance at procs). The single target definitely felt the bump with both -res procs much more prevalent than they were. Considering the sloting took my previous average of 3:15 (peaking at 3:07) down to 2:45 (peaking at 2:30) this is understandable.

I tested it exemplared and the lack of recharge was more noticeable with some gaps. It wasn't a big deal, but I feel like the more well rounded version would be changing Burn and Slash to their purple sets, and then +5 those (Focus too). While the gain is minimal at level 50 the +5-ing translates well when exemplared It's actually a minimal increase either way (tested at Positron part one level).

For now I'll keep the procced out version and test some more.

Speaking of testing and since I had the purples +5-ed I went for a quick and dirty test with the build all purpled out and +5-ed instead of procced. I removed the Eradication and kept the Fury as my second proc in Burn:

3:40. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Sovera

Considering how well the Claws showed itself to be I've been thinking that War Mace ought to push the envelope even further. I just don't have the room for Crowd Control.

Taking War Mace and not taking Crowd Control verges on blasphemy, but it's either not take Whirlwind Mace and only have Burn for an AoE for 38 levels or take Whirlwind Mace and skip on the 180 degrees hard hitting FF ensured knockdown mitigating cone.

Well, ok, the solution is to have two builds and if doing content lower than 33 then go with build 1 and if 33 and more then use build 2 with Crowd Control 😛

Your most recent procc'd out build certainly seems as tight as it can be, my only lazy person gripe is the 4kd res.  Even with hover mitigating and the option to grab sg base kd res buff I still find myself wishing I could hop in and not have to chase sg buffs before running content.

Big if, but IF you had to toss one slot towards an extra kd io (steadfast?) Where do you think that play might come from? 

Who am I kidding, there's is literally zero wiggle room in this build. To which I have to say is a mark of a darn good build.