Mid's Reborn: Hero Designer

Metalios

51 minutes ago, SwizFischGm said:

I'm getting this error message suddenly out of nowhere, 

(on windows)

"NullRefrenceException

Object reference not set to an instance of an object "

What do?

A friend of mine recently experienced the same thing.  First, make sure that your version of .NET installed is at least 4.7.2.  After that, try doing a complete uninstallation of Mids' Reborn.  Then download a fresh copy from the first post in this thread, and re-install.

Thanks very much for building Mid's reborn for all of us.

I browsed your GIT repo, and was REALLY IMPRESSED with the great depth and capabilities of Mids reborn.

I'm trying to write a much simpler mobile app for COH.

The app would help players choose/compare enhancement sets for their toons.

It's not intended to by anywhere as complete/complex as Mids reborn.

The initial release of the app will be free, fully featured, and not limited in any way.

If users really like it and want more features, I might consider adding inexpensive IAP features as add-ons.

Could we work together on a common JSON format to describe powers/enhancements?

That would enable users to load their app experiment into Mid's reborn.

(And ultimately any other COH utility)

Homecoming servers could also use this.

A  REST API in homecoming could export our online characters into MIDs (or the app).

A similar upload API might be really useful on the beta servers, too.

That would enable transfering toons from other servers into Pineapple, or Mids builds into the beta server.

I know how to build such APIs, and could help the homecoming team provide it.

I prefer  a simple, compact format with no application specific data (Example follows).

The first draft would only need name, archetype, level, powers, and enhancements.

(Slotting would be shown as 1 to 6 entries on each power)

Would you guys be interested it working together on that?

If so, we should set up a discord channel to continue discussions.

A simple example format: (Not a real build)

// Snap Shot and Fistful of arrows are both 6 slotted, but only one enhancement.

// Caltrips has online one slot. Maneuvers is two slotted

Name: My Blaster

Archetype: Blaster

Origin: Magic

Level: xx

Powers: [

Primary: Archery 

Selected: [

{ Power: Snap Shot,   Enhancements:  [Crafted_Acc_Level_10, null, null, null, null, null]},

{ Power: Fistful of Arrows,   Enhancements:  [Crafted_Acc_Level_10, null, null, null, null, null]},

]

Secondaryr: Devices

{ Power: Caltrips,   Enhancements:  [Crafted_Acc_Level_20l]},

]

PowerPool: Speed

{ Power: Hasten,   Enhancements:  [Crafted_Rch_Level_20, null, null, null, null, null]},

]

PowerPool: Leadership

{ Power: Maneuvers,   Enhancements:  [Crafted_End_Level_20, Crafted_End_Level_20]},

]

Epic: Cold Mastery

{ Power: Snow Storm,   Enhancements:  [null, null, null, null, null, null]},

]

] // End powers.

Edited by fbunn
re-wording and fixing typos.

7 hours ago, fbunn said:

I'm trying to write a much simpler mobile app for COH.

What is honestly needed is a webpage that does all this ... not an app.  That way we'd be able to link builds using the URL which would dynamically update the "hash code" portion of the URL as changes get made.

Basically the City of Heroes equivalent to doing THIS ...

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

7 hours ago, Redlynne said:

What is honestly needed is a webpage that does all this ... not an app.  That way we'd be able to link builds using the URL which would dynamically update the "hash code" portion of the URL as changes get made.

This. Sooooooooooooo this.

• Thanks 1

Is the team manually updating the powerset values?: https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer/tree/master/Hero Designer/Data/db/Player

Is there a source for this material? Maybe code in the CoH application itself?  I would be happy to contribute to a process that automatically translates changes to power values in the application itself into these JSON.  What is the source of truth? CoH Application or is it server-side?

So grateful to the team that put this together! 

Just wondering, is there a way to change IOs to attuned? I'm sure there is, I just can't find it...

Also is there a user guide somewhere so I don't have to keep asking dumb questions? And if not, any common tips and tricks (like the + and - buttons for increasing levels on IOs pointed out to me earlier)?

Thanks heaps! 🙂

4 hours ago, Bolt of Purity said:

Just wondering, is there a way to change IOs to attuned? I'm sure there is, I just can't find it...

Also is there a user guide somewhere so I don't have to keep asking dumb questions? And if not, any common tips and tricks (like the + and - buttons for increasing levels on IOs pointed out to me earlier)?

Thanks heaps! 🙂

Use Catalysts either from the ATM or the Auction House.

9 hours ago, Bolt of Purity said:

Thanks heaps! 🙂

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

Use Catalysts either from the ATM or the Auction House.

They meant in the planner, I would assume.  The answer is no.  Just set the IOs to max level of the set is the closest the planner gets.

Not aware of a tips and tricks guide, either.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Caulderone said:

They meant in the planner, I would assume.  The answer is no.  Just set the IOs to max level of the set is the closest the planner gets.

Not aware of a tips and tricks guide, either.

In the planner there are normal and superior ATos, Event IOs, etc. So I don't know what they mean then.

59 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

Attuned sets are exactly the same as Set IOs of the same level, so this is the correct solution.

Note that attuned enhancements can't be boosted, so make sure you aren't adding any +s to the enhancements you want treated as attuned (ie, don't use the "Set all enhancements to +5", etc in the menus).

Yeah in the planner, hence the post here and not elsewhere 😉

No problem, just wanted a way to quickly see which IOs I had +5ed or not rather than having to mouse over each one cause, as you mentioned Roderick, those 2 are mutually exclusive.

Appreciate the responses though, thanks guys. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:10 AM, Apparition said:

A friend of mine recently experienced the same thing.  First, make sure that your version of .NET installed is at least 4.7.2.  After that, try doing a complete uninstallation of Mids' Reborn.  Then download a fresh copy from the first post in this thread, and re-install.

It looks like .NET is up to date on my computer but it gave me the same message after uninstalling, any suggestion?

Mousing over IOs used to show the set bonuses but is now showing the recipe for that IO (except for WIO and ATIO).

This change in behavior happened even tho I don't recall updating. I must have accidentally changed some preference, but i'll be damned if I can find it.

Any clue how I can undo this.
  • BTW, thanks for the most excellent work on MIDS!  Other than this recent problem, it is greatly improved.

1 hour ago, mgm7734 said:
Mousing over IOs used to show the set bonuses but is now showing the recipe for that IO (except for WIO and ATIO).

This change in behavior happened even tho I don't recall updating. I must have accidentally changed some preference, but i'll be damned if I can find it.

Any clue how I can undo this.
  • BTW, thanks for the most excellent work on MIDS!  Other than this recent problem, it is greatly improved.

there's a recipe on/off button in the top right with accolades and temp powers.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 2:10 AM, Apparition said:

Any other sujestions? I've tried the above and am sstill getting the error. Was working fine yesterday when I was looking over a build. 

Odd thing I just discovered. When I physically printed my build, any HO's weren't included in the printouts. Instead it just shows '(A) 1 Origin - [Empty]'. Not a big deal, just thought I'd add it to the list of oddities. (I'm on v2.6.0.7, in case it matters).

On 1/7/2020 at 9:50 PM, Redlynne said:

This would be great and I could whole hardheartedly get behind a project that would create a Mids equivalent onto a website. The Mids App, as you may know, how SO much functionality build into it that replicating it instantly on any other platform is just not possible. I am still learning new 'things' that this app has functionality for and new ways for bugs to crop up. IE only 1% of people use the print out function... and guess what? Those bugs stay hidden for a long time. 

I sadly am well aware of my capabilities in this field, and I would not be any help in setting up a Mids Website. I do not have website knowledge or enough programming abilities to be anything but a hindrance to others. I could, however, create a front or back end converter to current and former mids builds that could then be used for this endeavor, seeing as I have intimate knowledge of how Mids saves and loads character data. My colleagues implemented a data dump system with JSON (never used JSON before) which dumped all the database data into a more readable format, so they might be more helpful in getting the info you need to set up a web based Hero builder with the relevant database infrastructure.

TLDR:
Great idea->Web-based platform is really the best answer for the limitations of Mids right now. Someone needs to do it! 

Happy Wife = Happy Life