Mid's Reborn: Hero Designer

Metalios

On 2/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, IdentityUK said:

windows 10, was yesterday morning, nothing unusual about what was last done, normal day, normal use.

I have however found a work around. I installed to a different directory; 

C:\Users\Identity\AppData\Roaming\RebornTeam\Mids Reborn2

which works perfectly now.

still cant install or use the old directory.

This worked for me on the last update and it works on this one too

This has definitely come a long way, from Diellan, Energy Aura and DeProgrammer to Pine... to what it is now. Good job to all who were ever involved. Thanks for keeping this up-to-date so we can continue to enjoy building our best builds!

@Tax E
** THE UNITED POWERS OF PARAGON **

11 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Are these updates included in the 32 bit version? From looking at the links it appears to be the same version I have now 2.6.07

There is a new version of the database specifically for the 32 bit version, as well as an updated application. I'll fix the links in my posts, but the ones on the first page are correct.

• Thanks 1
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

With active development happening on Mid's again outside of database updates, any chance the DPS/attack chain calculator will be looked at? It spits out very weird numbers, depending on if Damage per second/Damage per activation/Damage per animation is selected under View.

18 minutes ago, staylor said:

Mobile app?

Not likely, given that it's written in .NET.  It would have to be rewritten from scratch for mobile platforms.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 minutes ago, staylor said:

Mobile app?

I've been telling people for the past YEAR that what is really needed is a webpage that does all of this online, which dynamically generates a URL hash code as you edit, so all you need to do to link to the build is the URL and the webpage will load the details from the URL hash.  Over this past year, more than one such effort has been started and stalled out (for various reasons, including "somebody else is doing it so why should I?") ... so we STILL do not have a webpage based version of what Mids' does, even though such a webpage would be platform and OS agnostic, not require any program installation or update patches and would presumably be easier to maintain once everything gets set up correctly.  The problem is ... getting everything set up correctly.

Here's an example of how that kind of thing would work (link is to a WoW Classic build planner that is obviously MUCH simpler to program than a webpage based Mids' service would be, but the underlying design and usability principles are substantially similar).

LINK

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

25 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

I've been telling people for the past YEAR that what is really needed is a webpage that does all of this online, which dynamically generates a URL hash code as you edit, so all you need to do to link to the build is the URL and the webpage will load the details from the URL hash.  Over this past year, more than one such effort has been started and stalled out (for various reasons, including "somebody else is doing it so why should I?") ... so we STILL do not have a webpage based version of what Mids' does, even though such a webpage would be platform and OS agnostic, not require any program installation or update patches and would presumably be easier to maintain once everything gets set up correctly.  The problem is ... getting everything set up correctly.

Here's an example of how that kind of thing would work (link is to a WoW Classic build planner that is obviously MUCH simpler to program than a webpage based Mids' service would be, but the underlying design and usability principles are substantially similar).

LINK

I started on something like this, but as you say got stalled out by real life and also seeing that Homecoming was working on their own thing. Anyway, if anyone wants to take what I've done they are welcome to. You can see a demo of where I was here:

https://cyraplanner.web.app/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mikewho said:

also seeing that Homecoming was working on their own thing.

This has perhaps been the most insidious factor, as I mentioned.  The whole "somebody else is doing it so why should I?" ... which then winds up with no one reaching completion.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

LINK

Indeed you have man, repeatedly. I'm not gonna lie I'm getting a my dad vibe from it.

'Someone ought to paint that peeling wall.'

'Someone ought to oil those hinges'

'Someone ought to take a broom to those cobwebs'.

Yeah, 'SOMEONE' ought to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

This has perhaps been the most insidious factor, as I mentioned.  The whole "somebody else is doing it so why should I?" ... which then winds up with no one reaching completion.

Well, you always could, if it means that much to you. I'm sure y--

On 9/24/2019 at 9:21 PM, Redlynne said:

The last time I did anything webpage construction related was about 25 years ago using what is (by now) hopelessly outdated HTML written by hand (back in the days of BBEdit).  I wouldn't even know where to begin with the prospect of coding a web page, let alone one dedicated to this specific purpose.  I personally don't have the skills (or experience) to program that kind of a web page.

*sigh*

I have a wide-but-shallow range of programming skills. I'm not particularly fluent in anything except some web design, and even that is, much like you, something like 10-15 years out of date for the most part. Wrye Bash, a modding tool for Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, needed work done on their webpage-based documentation. I offered my time and pulled my ass out of "retirement", learned new techniques, and ended up building a navigation menu system out of javascript that was almost entirely independent of the page code. I effectively built a JS framework from scratch with minimal changes to their documentation code. Someone else saw what I did and wanted a website for their mod manager, so I built one from the ground up for them. In terms of maintenance they only know Github markdown, so I implemented a system that lets them write pages and news posts in markdown and it translates that to HTML and writes it to the page on the fly when someone navigates there.

I saw Zed working on updates for Mids, which I spent almost as much time in as the game itself, and I offered to help make updates. We ran into problems that required code solutions, and Procat comes along, despite apparently not having much knowledge of C#, and between the three of us we figure that crap out. Bopper comes along with his formulas and data charts and throws his math skills into the mix, despite being unsure about the coding himself. So what? He also became the bug catalogue expert, keeping track of everything he can. We're working together, we got this! Metalios comes back, effectively absorbs us into the Reborn Team officially, and now we're bashing our heads against some really nasty bugs and making huge progress.

The Mids group already knows, but I can put it here as well. I'm disabled, with a number of issues both physically and mentally. In terms of what we're doing here, I have some learning issues, motivational issues, regular lack of proper sleep, etc. I don't know if you have similar problems or not, but regardless, if I can do it, you can too. You know how you get skills and experience? You try to do it anyway. This is a community effort, anyone can contribute! Even small things count. Not sure if you can contribute anything in terms of code? Draw up design specs. Use freaking MS Paint if you have to, with the polygon tool. Write up a list of what features you think would be most useful for a web-based tool. Check out those other incomplete tools and see what they did, and keep track of what features you liked and what you didn't. A text file with suggestions is still contributing!

On the note of a mobile app/web app, that's something we're actually in very early planning stages for. Metalios just pointed out (not more than half an hour ago) .NET MAUI as another potential option to our growing debate list. I've mentioned that I'd prefer something I could contribute to more easily with what skills I do have, but I can learn anything if they're willing to put up with my flailing around. Hell, we've discussed Unity as a potential option. There's a way you could contribute as well: Doing the research and compiling advantages and disadvantages for a bunch of different frameworks.

Pretty much anything is more helpful, and valuable in general, than just complaining about something.

Edited by Felis Noctu
  • Like 2

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

so we STILL do not have a webpage based version of what Mids' does,

Not even remotely close because i hate maths it doesn't do calculations but i have a side project to preview builds.
It uses the Electron framework, which is basically a Chromium/Node tandem in which you embed webpages. Super easy for beginners if javascript is your thing.
But i highly doubt it'll go further, it's been made for the single purpose of knowing what enhancement is left to purchase/craft for a build and it's doing this purpose pretty well so far.
Also, this framework is multiplatform, but with no foot into the mobile world (yet ?). I wish... I've looked into Cordova for a bit which would be its closest relative with mobile capabilities but the list of prerequisites and stuff you have to install and setup for it was enough to give me a major headache.

I wasn't sure where to ask this... sorry if it's the wrong thread or forum.

Is it me or is Mid's data inaccurate/not up to date with Homecoming? I got my Spines/Fire farmer up to 50 and largely IO'd out for defenses and resistance. The numbers in-game are not matching up with the numbers in Mid's Reborn... an example being my total Fire def should be 46.14% and Fire Res should be 90%+... in-game I'm a 43.16% Def and 74.89% Res.

I've deactivated all toggles and compared my "Temperature Protection" auto-power in-game and how it is in Mid's. Off-hand, it looks like my power is not benefiting in-game from any IO's resistance boosts because in Mid's, if I empty all slots, the numbers are closer together (Game: 35.45% from "TP", Mid's: 30%), though still a notable difference!

My Defense boosts from IOs seems to match up correctly with all toggles off, but when all defense toggles are on, the difference mentioned above shows up. So I looked at my "Combat Jumping" ability and in-game it says it has a base of 2.35% to all Defenses, but Mid's says it has a base of 2.5%... and so I'm here wondering what's up or if I'm missing an update on Mid's Reborn?

I'm playing in Homecoming Server: Indomitable.

4 hours ago, pauljima said:

I wasn't sure where to ask this... sorry if it's the wrong thread or forum.

Is it me or is Mid's data inaccurate/not up to date with Homecoming? I got my Spines/Fire farmer up to 50 and largely IO'd out for defenses and resistance. The numbers in-game are not matching up with the numbers in Mid's Reborn... an example being my total Fire def should be 46.14% and Fire Res should be 90%+... in-game I'm a 43.16% Def and 74.89% Res.

I've deactivated all toggles and compared my "Temperature Protection" auto-power in-game and how it is in Mid's. Off-hand, it looks like my power is not benefiting in-game from any IO's resistance boosts because in Mid's, if I empty all slots, the numbers are closer together (Game: 35.45% from "TP", Mid's: 30%), though still a notable difference!

My Defense boosts from IOs seems to match up correctly with all toggles off, but when all defense toggles are on, the difference mentioned above shows up. So I looked at my "Combat Jumping" ability and in-game it says it has a base of 2.35% to all Defenses, but Mid's says it has a base of 2.5%... and so I'm here wondering what's up or if I'm missing an update on Mid's Reborn?

I'm playing in Homecoming Server: Indomitable.

You'll need to provide us your build and probably a screenshot of your combat attributes to give us a better idea as to what's going on. Numbers could certainly be off, but given it's a Spines/Fire, I'm not aware of anything weird happening with those sets. 

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 hours ago, pauljima said:

You are correct to some extent. We recently fixed the class_AT modifiers (several of which were being assigned to the wrong AT or just had incorrect numbers). We're also discovering that powers are more out of date than we originally thought, as powersets that we thought were correct are surprising us. The big one, however, is that PVP numbers (for those that PVP) are going to be WAY off, as Homecoming introduced dedicated PVP modifier tables. This was a fantastic idea for disconnecting PVE balance from PVP balance, but unfortunately Mids has no idea what to do with those tables yet. Even after we do fix that, we're going to have to modify every single power in the game to point at these new tables for their PVP effects, just like HC did.

Long story short, we're focusing on tidying code up first to make it easier for us to fix powers in the first place. Please keep the bug reports coming in regardless so we know what to look for!

As for Spines/Fire (I'm assuming a Brute?) I can't remember us touching anything in that area. Brute was also one of the ATs that had the correct modifier tables prior to us making that fix, so I don't think that's it either. Screenshots would definitely be helpful!

Edited by Felis Noctu

~ The Meowcronomicon

17 hours ago, Felis Noctu said:

Long story short, we're focusing on tidying code up first to make it easier for us to fix powers in the first place. Please keep the bug reports coming in regardless so we know what to look for!

There also seems to be a big disconnect for Tankers. Below is what I'm seeing in MIDS for my Magic Bio/TW, but in game my defenses and resistances are much lower (e.h., Smashing is approx 10%/63% instead of 24.75%/76.59%)

image.thumb.png.ba64e2c792dffad4d60d8f78c3f0d505.png

Edited by PtownRebel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PtownRebel said:

There also seems to be a big disconnect for Tankers. Below is what I'm seeing in MIDS for my Magic Bio/TW, but in game my defenses and resistances are much lower (e.h., Smashing is 9.75%/52% instead of 24.75%/90+%)

image.thumb.png.2b6a9208da486e422d08ae8d09d452dc.png

Noticed you are on 2.7.1.15, please uninstall and reinstall 2.7.2.10 as this is the latest version and includes an auto update fix.

• Thanks 2

I am merely the guy with a keyboard and monitor under the stairs.

18 hours ago, crytilis said:

Noticed you are on 2.7.1.15, please uninstall and reinstall 2.7.2.10 as this is the latest version and includes an auto update fix.

I did the update but the Tanker numbers are still very different than in game.image.thumb.png.763cda026b207b70ea1883e8392baf9e.png

@PtownRebel
*sees Bio/Titan*
*cries*

Congratulations, you've selected two of the three most mechanically complex powersets in the game! 😭

One of the issues here is that there's an interaction issue in Mids regarding redirected powers. Titan Weapons uses power redirects to manage the alternate Momentum forms of its various attacks, and Bio Armor uses conditionals, granted powers, pseudopowers, and power redirects, and is just an utter mess. (If you're curious about the third, it's Savage Melee.) Some mechanics such as the incarnate powers don't affect redirected powers correctly, which is something we'll need to handle at the code level.

We're definitely aware of the inconsistencies here! There's some other Tanker numbers we need to adjust as well, but you've managed to land on one of the worst areas for us at the moment. 😛

~ The Meowcronomicon

Any chance of incorporating the option to use a URL shortener on export links? People give me the side-eye when I post a huge long export link into Discord. Of course, I could simply put it into a URL shortener myself, but it would be nice to have the option to save that extra step.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!