blue4333

Roleplay Pet Peeves

14 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Also, you mentioned that you have a sense of humor that you worry might rub people the wrong way. One thing I've noticed is a lot of people RP characters with a Deadpool/Joss Whedon/Geeky sense of humour where they make jokes/sassy comments with the intention of making themselves look smarter than the people around them. I don't know if this applies to you, but it's something to be mindful of, I think. There is nothing more annoying that someone constantly self-aggrandizing with humour at the expense of everyone around them. When in doubt - make yourself the butt of the joke.

Good luck. 🙂

I'd echo this, and note that if your 'trickster' persona involves calling other characters a "weaboo furry emo angst club," to paraphrase, then you're establishing an adversarial dialectic to your razzing and it's no wonder that people don't want to play with you.

I get by very well by focusing my 'humor' characters on being near-failures with very easy flaws for other roleplayers to latch onto and kick them for.  It's an invitation to engage by poking fun at me, rather than an unsolicited razzing/hazing, the latter of which not everybody is going to be receptive to.

Regarding 'classic capes' and how they never win Costume Contests, I've won precisely two costume contests, one generic and one with an explicit 'classic' theme, and both times were with a character in a single-piece skin-tight pattern jumpsuit with a cape (though one is a lot more 'classic' than the other).  There are people out there who like to play superheroes, and you'll get a very stilted impression of that looking at the people hanging around Pocket D, because it's hard to reconcile 'classic capes' hanging out in a nightclub.

Incidentally, I do wholeheartedly recommend the Hero Corps Information Exchange if you want a good excuse to RP your superhero, as a superhero.

Edited by TwoDee
added punctuation
  • Like 1

I get annoyed by players who lazily RP their powers as something other than what they actually are in-game, particularly when they do it simply because they want to min/max their character. I've seen some truly bizarre attempts by players to pass of their builds as something ludicrous. Like a thugs MM who expects players to RP that their pets are animals. I swear, If I have to RP with ONE MORE blaster who took Tactical Arrow, but insists that they aren't actually using a bow. I can SEE your character using a bow. This is video game - a graphical emulator of superhero storytelling. Keyword: GRAPHICAL. If I wanted to use my imagination for everything, I'd stick to forum RP.

It's like playing Warhammer 40k with plastic green army men. It's more enjoyable for everyone playing to use the minis that are made for the game.

Edited by the1egend1ives

Another pet peeve I have is that I main a natural origin character and I frequently have to fight off demigods who constantly remind me that I'll die in five seconds to a gunshot wound,or that my arrows are totally ineffective against 99% of enemies.

5 hours ago, the1egend1ives said:

Another pet peeve I have is that I main a natural origin character and I frequently have to fight off demigods who constantly remind me that I'll die in five seconds to a gunshot wound,or that my arrows are totally ineffective against 99% of enemies.

Superman would have the "Natural" origin too.

That said, even the description during character creation states that you have honed your natural abilities to superhuman levels.

So it isn't like you are Bob from Accounting, or even Hawkeye, you have developed your skills and abilities to the point of actually being super human. So tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. Because clearly your arrows DO harm all the enemies you face, and your other skills/powers keep you alive while doing so.

Now my pet peeve would be the flip-side, the person who insists they are just a normal human... in spite of surviving bullets, blades, fire, poison, alien probing and getting yeeted by giant robots, all while tossing around incarnate and other powers that they fail to explain away. "Sure Bob, you are just an every day guy from Toledo... but that Barrier you just magicked up around everyone that stopped those giant death rays, isn't something you just picked up at Costco..."

39 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Given this games' ludonarrative?  I rather think one -could- just pick up those Incarnate abilities at CostCo these days.

You save a fortune if you buy your Incarnate threads in bulk!

• Haha 1