blue4333

Roleplay Pet Peeves

2 hours ago, TheCorvus said:

Nobody has to role-play with you. If you want someone to RP with you, you're gonna have to meet them at least half way.

This, or, place yourself in the appropriate setting to make this sort of play work. Pocket D upstairs bar isn't that place.

I've had great experiences RPing with other players who wrote for "loveable" asshole characters. The caveat was that I was in a villain group, and a lot of that came with the territory. At the time I RP'd a ditzy, size-changing mad scientist as well as a self-serious flying brick with delusions of grandeur. Both characters offered great foils for the "assholes," but the foundational premise was that it was expected due to the setting of the play.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
a single word.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCorvus said:

Nobody has to role-play with you. If you want someone to RP with you, you're gonna have to meet them at least half way.

thats not the point,

my point is that putting someone on /gignore, like some people in the forum stated they do, without telling them OOC "hey i dont want to play with your character leave me alone" is just not the way to go in my opinion and i think i m not only asking for my self if i ask you to do this befor putting someone on /gignore i bet most people who play such a character would be understanding and will leave you alone.

back to the Zukunft

20 minutes ago, jkwak said:

putting someone on /gignore, like some people in the forum stated they do, without telling them OOC "hey i dont want to play with your character leave me alone" is just not the way to go in my opinion

That sounds very rational, I personally agree with you.

The flipside to that equation is that if someone jumps to that extreme in reacting to something that they don't like, it's possible they're doing you a favor in precluding future interaction with them.

• Like 1

Bit of a lighter pet peeve here that's honestly 90% of the time just more amusing than actually annoying when it happens, but:

People giving IC reactions to what is clearly just some OOC goofing off.

What I mean by this is typically something like, when just bumming around somewhere like Pocket D with some friends but not actively RPing, just exchanging dumb OOC banter and/or goofing around with emotes (for example, one friend flopped on the floor with /e collapse or /e swoon, and others doing the jackhammer or shovel emotes on top of them), usually a bit out of the way from the actual busy RP areas. Typically stuff that's pretty easy to tell at a glance isn't remotely in character for anyone.

Then somebody just wandering past it stops, takes one look at the clearly OOC buffoonery, and reacts to it completely IC. Typically ends up being their character reacting with confusion at what they're seeing, or dropping some snarky comment about it in passing.

Again, it usually ends up being amusing and harmless rather than legitimately irritating in any way. Usually a simple response of "Don't mind us, we're just goofing around not in character" is enough for anyone making those passing IC reactions to understand and laugh along with the goofing. It just tends to also leave you just wondering "in what possible context would this interaction make sense from an in character perspective" and that can end up painting some funny pictures.

1 minute ago, Arctique said:

Bit of a lighter pet peeve here that's honestly 90% of the time just more amusing than actually annoying when it happens, but:

People giving IC reactions to what is clearly just some OOC goofing off.

What I mean by this is typically something like, when just bumming around somewhere like Pocket D with some friends but not actively RPing, just exchanging dumb OOC banter and/or goofing around with emotes (for example, one friend flopped on the floor with /e collapse or /e swoon, and others doing the jackhammer or shovel emotes on top of them), usually a bit out of the way from the actual busy RP areas. Typically stuff that's pretty easy to tell at a glance isn't remotely in character for anyone.

Then somebody just wandering past it stops, takes one look at the clearly OOC buffoonery, and reacts to it completely IC. Typically ends up being their character reacting with confusion at what they're seeing, or dropping some snarky comment about it in passing.

Again, it usually ends up being amusing and harmless rather than legitimately irritating in any way. Usually a simple response of "Don't mind us, we're just goofing around not in character" is enough for anyone making those passing IC reactions to understand and laugh along with the goofing. It just tends to also leave you just wondering "in what possible context would this interaction make sense from an in character perspective" and that can end up painting some funny pictures.

Just run from them screaming, "ARGH! The gas! It burns!"

Or not?

AE Arcs: Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) | Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374)

Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210)

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) | Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642)* | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104)* | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489)*

*Praetorian.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 2:12 AM, jkwak said:

if you dont want to interact with specific characters its up to you, but reflecting the interaction with one character on the player behind it is just bullshit.

You cant just judge someone because of one character.

While generally good advice, not just in game but in real life, I cannot count the number of times I've encountered someone playing a catgirl or some other animal-themed character who OOCly wants to tell me about their "fursona," or the characters whose "superhero" costume looks like a dominatrix OOCly discussing their RL BDSM preferences...  It happens often enough to set expectations/precedent that certain types of characters will reflect RL personalities.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 11:21 PM, TheCorvus said:

Wait...wait...wait...

Flying and super-strength are not natural for Kryptonians. It's only after being under the effects of....

meh..nevermind.

So, would that make him Science origin then? 

I don't know; it seems his powers are still a product of his species' natural characteristics, even if triggered by being in a different environment.  I naturally have the ability to leap high into the air and cover great distances - if I'm on the moon.  What makes it natural is that every other human (who has grown up on Earth and developed muscles under Earth's gravity) has the same ability.

12 hours ago, jkwak said:

thats not the point,

my point is that putting someone on /gignore, like some people in the forum stated they do, without telling them OOC "hey i dont want to play with your character leave me alone" is just not the way to go in my opinion and i think i m not only asking for my self if i ask you to do this befor putting someone on /gignore i bet most people who play such a character would be understanding and will leave you alone.

Which are you more interested in? Being "right" or having people want to play with you?

It would seem pretty obvious that specific character is proving to be a problem getting others to want to associate with it. Are you going to expect everyone else to change their behavior to match what you want? Or are you going to change yours to fit in better with the people around you?

• Like 1