Remove/recreate purple caves

JayboH

Well...I understand the frustration, sure. 

But, every now and then, I'm actually in the mood for such maps. In many ways, my experience playing this game takes out some of the fun, because I already have an understanding of where I can expect mobs to be "hiding". 

If I let myself actually pretend that I'm my own avatar in the game - I'm in this oddly colored cavern, and I certainly wouldn't have any clue where the mobs are, and I'd have to be very careful to watch my step, lest I fall below and possibly be noticed without being ready to be noticed. 

So, I get it, but I think there are far many other things to work on before this should be given a moments thought. 

On 6/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, EmmySky said:

That's why I suggested just a texture swap.  I have done quite a but of 3d model building and it would be a very lengthy process.  Just creating a new texture to swap with the purple one would be much less work and probably fix 90% of the problem.

There is already a second set of textures for these map tiles -- the brown caverns, which don't see a lot of play; if the brown cavern textures can be swapped in for the blue textures, then we can see if that improves things.

• Like 2

Eh. The brown version of the mine mapset is just really unattractive, though. I think the purple, as troublesome as it is, is a lot more visually appealing. If I'm going to have to spend half of my character's life underground, I'd rather it be in Purple Hell than trapped in the Mustard Mines.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

27 minutes ago, Patti said:

But why not make it individual players choice?

Well it sort of is already particularly radio missions, step out, reset, etc..  Or run AE. Or avoid arcs using those maps ... .  Those probably aren't how you envision "choosing" but.  As was said up thread, no harm in asking, but there's way more important things to be worked on than reskinning cave maps to my mind.

Edited by Doomguide2005

But if they make something that works for one, then can't they then make it work for others too?   Like the new last of us game has a high contrast mode for accessibility.   Don,t just do this for purple orbrown caves, make a new optional setting to help more differently abled players be welcome.  Also help existing players as they get older and their eye sight starts to fail.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Patti said:

But if they make something that works for one, then can't they then make it work for others too?   Like the new last of us game has a high contrast mode for accessibility.   Don,t just do this for purple orbrown caves, make a new optional setting to help more differently abled players be welcome.  Also help existing players as they get older and their eye sight starts to fail.

I do get what your saying but the fact is game devs rarely cater to extreme niche issues. Hell even wide spread things like color blindness are generally not taken into account, and can be a truly crippling factor in gaming. A good example is in the game Warframe. A character in it Valkyr, maybe among the strongest frontline frames to choose from, to employ her literal invincible mode and super damage claws, gets a red tint added to the screen that is bad enough Ive known a few players who due to their red/green color blind issues, have their screen become impossible to make out anything on and thus can not use valkyr no matter how they tweak their visual settings. The answer from the company when asked if they could allow the tint shade to be changed was nope sorry, that is the red of rage, dont like how it works dont use the ability or the frame. And no few players sided with this choice, saying that any dev energy from any department was better spent on anything the majority of players would benefit from.

Then there is the even meaner dev response. Over on DDO the blind spell actually blinds you as in blacks out your screen, this used to be perma until a remove blindness spell or potion was used to negate it, now it has a few min duration but still when your hit with it, and cant cure it, your only choice is to sit tight or stumble into a deadly trap or group blind. There is even darkness enough in that dungeon that there used to be a spell favored by players to act as a light source, those who didnt have access to the spell complained about the unjust advantage such players had, so they removed the light source aspect from the spell, making everyone have to stumble around in the dark rather than make something like a lantern or torch that everyone could use.

Visual challenges are valid challenges, and while it sucks some with issues related to vision cant always play them without suffering, its not fair to the majority to take away or dumb down game play to cater to a minor niche population.

Now while I doubt it would be any less work, what I wouldnt oppose is things like signs added in missions that made sense, like tunnel a1, junction B etc added to help highlight the branches and entrances better without a massive change to tunnel scale or visual appearance. Heck even mall like maps like you are here would be more of a in game approach Id approve of. But trying to beat content mastery challenges on the forums is something Ive always had issue with in MMO forums.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

I do get what your saying but the fact is game devs rarely cater to extreme niche issues. Hell even wide spread things like color blindness are generally not taken into account, and can be a truly crippling factor in gaming. A good example is in the game Warframe. A character in it Valkyr, maybe among the strongest frontline frames to choose from, to employ her literal invincible mode and super damage claws, gets a red tint added to the screen that is bad enough Ive known a few players who due to their red/green color blind issues, have their screen become impossible to make out anything on and thus can not use valkyr no matter how they tweak their visual settings. The answer from the company when asked if they could allow the tint shade to be changed was nope sorry, that is the red of rage, dont like how it works dont use the ability or the frame. And no few players sided with this choice, saying that any dev energy from any department was better spent on anything the majority of players would benefit from.

Then there is the even meaner dev response. Over on DDO the blind spell actually blinds you as in blacks out your screen, this used to be perma until a remove blindness spell or potion was used to negate it, now it has a few min duration but still when your hit with it, and cant cure it, your only choice is to sit tight or stumble into a deadly trap or group blind. There is even darkness enough in that dungeon that there used to be a spell favored by players to act as a light source, those who didnt have access to the spell complained about the unjust advantage such players had, so they removed the light source aspect from the spell, making everyone have to stumble around in the dark rather than make something like a lantern or torch that everyone could use.

Visual challenges are valid challenges, and while it sucks some with issues related to vision cant always play them without suffering, its not fair to the majority to take away or dumb down game play to cater to a minor niche population.

Now while I doubt it would be any less work, what I wouldnt oppose is things like signs added in missions that made sense, like tunnel a1, junction B etc added to help highlight the branches and entrances better without a massive change to tunnel scale or visual appearance. Heck even mall like maps like you are here would be more of a in game approach Id approve of. But trying to beat content mastery challenges on the forums is something Ive always had issue with in MMO forums.

Its not "game mastery" that causes me issues with the purple caves, its literally my eyes which trigger migraines.  I have zero issues with the same maps in council colors but something with the purple texture causes prisms to block parts of my vision. 

I can deal with it and am totally in agreement that game devs do not cater to the minority.  That being said, this is the Suggestions and Feedback section and for you to tell people that they just want to circumvent a game challenge is rude.  

I always buy the reveal power and on purple maps (or especially dark ones like some Arachnos bases) I navigate entirely via the map rather than the textured world.  That may not work for everyone and those people have a right to state their suggestion or feedback just like everyone else in this section.

• Thanks 3

If -any- game should be "catering" to the minority when it comes to accessibility; it's this one.

City of Heroes is about empowerment.  It's about choice.  It's about feeling like you have something to contribute to make the world a better place.

It's not Dark Souls.

And suggesting that -options- are going to dumb-down the game for everyone is seriously disingenuous.  They're OPTIONS.  To help accessibility.  To encourage more people to play.  To Feel Welcome.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/2411-the-future-an-open-letter-from-the-homecoming-team/?tab=comments#comment-18407

I am 100% in favour of a High Contrast Mode being added as an option.   Great suggestion, @Patti.

Anyone trying to gatekeep this game should seriously take a moment to consider what they're doing.

• Thanks 2

To me this is mostly just a side effect.  I was mostly talking about the wall construction for the map being very restrictive/claustrophobic and annoying.  I gave the example earlier of having 8 masterminds in a blue/purple cave.

Here is what it is like for a very LOW LEVEL mastermind team on an office map. 

Now think of that with level 50 with even more pets and more effects in a more restrictive blue/purple cave map....

...yeah

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Don't want something removed just because some don't like it. What you should instead be asking for is a filter for your radio missions.

Check here if:

I want to do office missions

I want to do blue cave missions

I want to do sewer missions

etc

No more of this remove this because I don't like crap, when it could simply be an option. Either in the radio window or at null.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noyjitat said:

Don't want something removed just because some don't like it. What you should instead be asking for is a filter for your radio missions.

Check here if:

I want to do office missions

I want to do blue cave missions

I want to do sewer missions

etc

No more of this remove this because I don't like crap, when it could simply be an option. Either in the radio window or at null.

The title mentions recreation.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, JayboH said:

The title mentions recreation.

Recreation = delete and remake.

Also, the result may be worse for some players which liked the previous caves. Therefore, you reply was completely ineffective and Noyjitat's message that you quoted remains fully valid. Try again.

Edited by ThunderCAP

6 hours ago, ThunderCAP said:

Recreation = delete and remake.

Also, the result may be worse for some players which liked the previous caves. Therefore, you reply was completely ineffective and Noyjitat's message that you quoted remains fully valid. Try again.

Not fully, there are pockets that are ok, and textures do not need to change unless they just aren't large enough to use without seeing seams from them being stitched together.

If they liked the previous ones, do they hate the larger ones?  The small niche of those who adore claustrophobic scenarios might be mature enough to understand why some would prefer the larger caves.