Incarnate-level Giant Monsters

I think the Giant Monsters in their current state are... too easy. It seems the purpose of a GM was to be that it would take league of heroes to defeat the monster, and I understand min/maxers will always exist and still down them effortlessly, but I'd like to possibly see an incarnate-level Giant Monster that is actually a challenge that was rewarding and probably does need a team or two to actually defeat it. Some bit of challenge to truly be a "monster." I don't know if I'd station it in PI/GV or even a Praetorian zone (to incentivize people to explore Praetoria more). I think adding new content to the game would be a universal positive, but I think our current roster of GM's... is a bit disheartening in terms of difficulty to be a "Giant Monster."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Redlynne said:

If you think Giant Monsters are "easy mode" for your character, try to destroy a Rikti Dropship on a bombing run ...

The only really challenging part about this is honestly the fact that it's constantly floating around in the sky and cannot be aggro'd, yea it does damage, but I can definitely react before it kills, and if it stood in place long enough, I could probably kill it. I think the game is in dire need of more content (and especially difficult content) maybe instead of more missions or zones, a truly challenging GM or set of GMs would be a nice approach (that may not be too Dev intensive).

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

The only really challenging part about this is honestly the fact that it's constantly floating around in the sky and cannot be aggro'd, yea it does damage, but I can definitely react before it kills, and if it stood in place long enough, I could probably kill it. I think the game is in dire need of more content (and especially difficult content) maybe instead of more missions or zones, a truly challenging GM or set of GMs would be a nice approach (that may not be too Dev intensive).

Yeah no. GMs are not easy mode for every powerset or AT. And the air-based movement of the drop ship is part of the challenge. I think that's what the person responding with that was referring to.

Also I'm not so sure an Incarnate level GM "may not be too Dev intensive.

So you are saying you want something a notch "BELOW" a Hamidon Raid or Mothership Raid? These both already require a Huge amount of people, Incarnate or not, to be successful? If you are thinking Challenge, form a Team or League and go hunting in the Hive, that's always a Hoot, Those Giant DE Monsters have no sense of humor and will be more than happy to introduce you and yours to new and never before seen Yoga Positions ( AKA Ragdoll Physics ). I ended up in a Tree once, Excellent.

• Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

23 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

I think the Giant Monsters in their current state are... too easy. It seems the purpose of a GM was to be that it would take league of heroes to defeat the monster, and I understand min/maxers will always exist and still down them effortlessly, but I'd like to possibly see an incarnate-level Giant Monster that is actually a challenge that was rewarding and probably does need a team or two to actually defeat it. Some bit of challenge to truly be a "monster." I don't know if I'd station it in PI/GV or even a Praetorian zone (to incentivize people to explore Praetoria more). I think adding new content to the game would be a universal positive, but I think our current roster of GM's... is a bit disheartening in terms of difficulty to be a "Giant Monster."

Yes please!  Would love to battle something Godzilla sized.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Menelruin said:

IMO a good place to start would be Dark Astoria, since it's supposed to be Incarnate content anyway.

I think a new version of Adamastor would be the most appropriate GM to turn into an incarnate GM. Maybe make it invulnerable to judgement attacks or a way to cancel destiny buffs. Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, Psyblade said:

I think a new version of Adamastor would be the most appropriate GM to turn into an incarnate GM. Maybe make it invulnerable to judgement attacks or a way to cancel destiny buffs. Just a thought. 

Yeeeeaaaah NOPE. This would pretty much make sure I would never bother with it.

Incarnate content should allow you to use all of your earned incarnate abilities . . . or don't call it incarnate content.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, Zeraphia said:

1.  First and foremost I'm just glad the game is even EXISTING in its current state, don't want to forget that! :-)

2.  I'm personally up for challenge on my fully geared up & incarnate-packed characters (only 2 currently), but I'll tell you more than half of the players who play this game DO NOT like getting wrecked & stomped repeatedly.  If Hamidon for example isn't going flawlessly and people actually have to fight through a triple bloom let's say, then half the league will typically leave because it's no longer easy to farm.  Same thing goes for task forces that have a team wipe due to a tactical error on the team's part. People suddenly have "dinner", "wife aggro", "gonna find something easier" and quit.  Others try to keep it going, but find it hard with a 50% to 80% loss of team/league members, this is a game where numbers definitely count.

3. The issue with Praetoria (I started with leveling my main character up there btw), IMHO, are these four things:
a) not easily accessible via a base portal (only NightWard and FirstWard), no direct access to Imperial City, Nova Praetoria, or Neutropolis.

b) not as many other players in the zone

c) no missions that grant permanent stat bonus accolades (i.e.: Task Force Commander)

d) limited reward missions that could be done by level 50+ teams that are leading lower levels that are sidekicked up for XP

I personally find Praetoria superior in design to most of Paragon City. It looks better for one, and well-written missions, but I also love how you can fly to the edge of zone and it'll warp you into the next zone over when you cross the boundary.  The "walls" in Paragon City are... odd... and quite ugly (especially the non-foggy Dark Astoria red ones).  If the Homecoming team wants to revamp Praetoria, then I'm all for it.  And it's not just Praetoria.  The Hollows, Boomtown, Crey's Folly, and even Steel Canyon could all use a revamp.  And Kallisti Warf seems unfinished too.

4. Giant Monster hunting (the named ones) would be good if they always rewarded some Reward Merits, and would justify the challenge's risk vs reward. If they are harder, then they need to reward better too, a worthy incentive to draw teams to take it on, not something to solo.

5.  I kind of disagree with open zone challenges in MMOs in general, better to leave that to missions where the team can ramp up the difficulty and rewards if they want to.