Camel's Super Reflexes/Energy Melee Tank. 70% defense to Melee, Ranged and AoE.

Camel

So... If you didn't already know. I friggin' LOVE Energy Melee. I have made incredibly OP builds with Energy Melee and every primary. Except Super Reflexes. Well, tonight I decided to take upon this task and... What the HECK did I just do? This isn't click bait. With only the Agility Alpha, you have over 70% defense to all positions ALL the time. Without the Agility Alpha, you sit at 65% to all positions. 

Easy enough, right? I must have gimped every other aspect to get these numbers, right? Oh no. Resists? No problem. Perma-hasten? Check. Regen? Pffft. I wish I could give you a more personal and detailed run down on the insanity that is this build.. But I have not built or played it like I have my Fire/Energy Tank, which I have a "guide" on the Tanker forums below this post. But I can confidently say that this build is insane. Just bonkers. I couldn't help but laugh once I finished this build and then looked at the numbers it achieved. Permanent 70% defense to all at level 50+ AND some pretty solid resists on top of nearly 100% DDR? Yeah... I don't even need to tell you how sturdy that is.

So, I wanted to share it. In the hopes that maybe someone can get some inspiration to make other Super Reflexes builds this stupid. Or maybe, just to get some street cred. I wouldn't mind being dubbed an unofficial Energy Melee Guru (let's be real, it's ALWAYS about the street cred.) 😁 Anyways, here's the build!

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Secondary Power Set: Energy Melee
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(3), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(5), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(46), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 1: Barrage -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(19)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(5), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(7)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(25)
Level 6: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(43), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 8: Practiced Brawler -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(A)
Level 14: Evasion -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(15), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(27), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Arm-Dam%(37)
Level 18: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 28: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--Build%(36)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), Ags-Psi/Status(33), ImpArm-ResPsi(34)
Level 32: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Energy Transfer -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Total Focus -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Hct-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(42), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 47: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(11), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), RgnTss-Regen+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(9), PrfShf-End%(9), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
------------

Edited by Camel
  • Like 1

Here's my Fiery Aura/Energy Melee Tanker who, while not nearly as sturdy (still nigh unkillable), is probably LOADS more fun, and makes Blasters envious of the burst damage he can dish out. 

Edited by Camel

18 minutes ago, Werner said:

What's the reasoning for 70% rather than low 60s?

Just to see if it was possible. While making the build Ranged and AoE were low 60's, Melee was the only one that was substantially higher. I kept playing around and realized that I wasn't sacrificing much to get all positions to 65% before Agility Alpha. There are only 3 sets in this build, outside of the unique +Def IOs, that have defense to Melee, Ranged, or AoE (Full set of Gaussians, 3 slotted BotZ and the full set of Gauntleted Fist . I'm sure I could fiddle around and get some better resists, while dropping my defense a bit to still stay above Incarnate level soft-cap. But the reasoning was just to see if I could do it and still show good results elsewhere. 

Is it overkill? Probably. I don't see the extra defense hurting anything. Could be a nice buffer for the content with extreme debuffs? Like I said, I haven't play tested this build. I know little about Super Reflexes, cannot give you a detailed run down on "why this" or "why that" like I can on my other builds I have spent countless hours on. I just felt 70% defense to Melee, Ranged and AoE was pretty dang respectable on top of the resists I managed to get before the sliding scale damage resistance comes into play.

Edited by Camel

3 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Have you actually built and played this in the game or only in Mids?

I have not built or tested it yet. But I’ve played this game since 2005. I don’t even want to know how many hours... I’ve spent the last month playing my Fiery Aura/Energy Melee Tank. So even having not tested it, I can say in confidence it would be pretty good! Especially for incarnate content. Why do you ask?

5 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

If it could get there for other melee sets then it would be a good way to laugh at SS's rage crash.

I’m inspired to make a Super Reflexes/Super Strength Tanker now with this in mind! Maybe it’ll be a convenient excuse to finally make a SS character on Homecoming!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camel said:

I have not built or tested it yet. But I’ve played this game since 2005. I don’t even want to know how many hours... I’ve spent the last month playing my Fiery Aura/Energy Melee Tank. So even having not tested it, I can say in confidence it would be pretty good! Especially for incarnate content. Why do you ask?

Sometimes the game doesn't exactly match Mids so I wonder what the real numbers would be.

Also, how expensive/time consuming would it be to build! I consider myself lucky if I get one Shield Wall, much less multiple complete sets!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Sometimes the game doesn't exactly match Mids so I wonder what the real numbers would be.

Also, how expensive/time consuming would it be to build! I consider myself lucky if I get one Shield Wall, much less multiple complete sets!

I'm in Beta right now with the complete build. I'll edit this reply and post some screenshots soon.

cityofheroes-beta_wnIUdlYERx.jpg

cityofheroes-beta_kKttXgoPPd.png

Edited by Camel
  • Haha 1

So, I loaded up Beta and am "play testing" right now. And by that I mean... I started a solo +4 ITF, reached aggro cap and let them go to town. I wanted to see how long I could survive by just standing there. Doing absolutely nothing. I am not using any means to survive. I have my incarnates slotted, but I am not using Rebirth or Melee Core... It's been 7 minutes of this and I am still standing. 

cityofheroes-beta_wlUSZt51GI.jpg

edit: I stopped my timer at 15 minutes. No Rebirth, no Melee, still alive. Moving on to bigger and better things

Edited by Camel
  • Like 3

CoT, Spirit Stalkers, Carnival, Freakshow, IDF. None posed a threat. So I took it to the Cutlass Isles and herded every monster on the island. I sweated a little bit, and I really wanted to use my Rebirth and Melee incarnates. But I told myself I would let myself be defeated if it were to happen. Lots of close calls, oh boy... Lots. But every time I thought I was done for, the Preventative Medicine proc would pull through and I would regen nearly to full. I stopped the timer at 15 minutes yet again. I'm thinking maybe it's time for some DA Arcs...

cityofheroes-beta_Cpr9xlIX2Z.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Camel said:

What the HECK did I just do?

That's kinda the feeling I got with my v3.1.0 SR/MA Tanker build when I got done with it, especially since I found a use for Thunder Kick (which most people think of as being a "garbage power" when it actually isn't).

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

34 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

That's kinda the feeling I got with my v3.1.0 SR/MA Tanker build when I got done with it, especially since I found a use for Thunder Kick (which most people think of as being a "garbage power" when it actually isn't).

I like how MA has the option to add a flat 10% defense to all positions. This opens up so many possibilities. What I noticed with the build I shared, is these numbers can be reached with any secondary as long as you take Weave, Combat Jumping (or Hover) and Maneuvers. That as well as reaching the same enhancement values and taking the Agility Alpha.

The only sets that granted extra defense were the Superior Gauntleted Fist, Blessing of the Zephyr and Guassians. Easily achievable with any secondary in the game. I’m standing knee deep in DA Banished Pantheon right now, smoking a cigarette outside. I’m willing to bet the Tank is still alive when I get back. 😂

Edited by Camel

Alright, last update. Anyone who has mained a Super Reflexes Tank is probably not surprised. But nothing I threw at it defeated me... At least not within 15 minutes. Cimerorans and the monsters from the Cutlass Isles were the only enemies that even posed a threat. Knives of Vengeance, DA Tsoo and DA Banished Pantheon couldn't even dent me. I've been standing in a mob of DA Banished Pantheon for awhile now. Made some phone calls, smoked a cigarette or two, even cracked open a cold one and leisurely sat outside. This was without activating any of the Tank ATOs or Incarnates outside of my Alpha. It's safe to say this is probably overkill. But that's part of the fun of being a Tank, yeah?

cityofheroes-beta_w0Kh3bOMt2.jpg

cityofheroes-beta_0kZha9WACT.png

Edited by Camel

1 hour ago, Camel said:

But nothing I threw at it defeated me... At least not within 15 minutes.

Try Rularuu Overseers (eyeballs) and/or Devouring Earth Quartz that drop the emanators that will negate your Super Reflexes powerset.

I figure that they'll be able to hurt you (sufficiently) to pierce the complacency.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 minute ago, Redlynne said:

Try Rularuu Overseers (eyeballs) and/or Devouring Earth Quartz that drop the emanators that will negate your Super Reflexes powerset.

I figure that they'll be able to hurt you (sufficiently) to pierce the complacency.

This. I was feeling all high and mighty and immortal on my SR tank until I willfully aggroed two full spawns of Rularuu including a ton of Overseers and they chomped my ass into the dirt.

Course.... I didn't pop any insps or fight back either. 🙂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later

Man.. I just started leveling a SR/DM tank and I'm loving it. I tried EM on a brute as EM/fire but it was just trash. Is it just that much better on a tanker? I'm VERY interested in trying this out with either SR/EM, Fire/EM or Ice/EM on a tanker. Thanks for inspiring.

Yeah, 70% defense is cute and all, but you wanna see something even dumber?

How about a Super Reflexes tank... with 132% max HP... ...and 435% regen.

Yeah.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Secondary Power Set: Street Justice
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(3)
Level 1: Initial Strike -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), PndSlg-Acc/Dmg(43), PndSlg-Stun%(43)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(5), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5)
Level 4: Sweeping Cross -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(13), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Arm-Dam%(27)
Level 6: Practiced Brawler -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Agile -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def(9), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(9)
Level 10: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Evasion -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(21), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(21)
Level 14: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(45)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Rct-Def(17), Rct-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 18: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Rib Cracker -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Dam%(42)
Level 22: Kick -- OvrFrc-End/Rech(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(33)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(25), ImpSki-Status(27), ImpSki-ResDam/EndRdx(29), ImpSki-ResDam/Rchg(45)
Level 26: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 28: Spinning Strike -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(29), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(31), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 32: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)
Level 35: Shin Breaker -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(37)
Level 38: Crushing Uppercut -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(45), NmnCnv-Heal(46), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(46), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(46), Prv-Absorb%(48)
Level 47: Project Will -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(50), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(7), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), RgnTss-Regen+(15), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(48), PrfShf-End%(48)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
------------

This set is so stupid on Tankers. I love it.

Edited by Crater Kate

SR is crazy on a tank.  The trip to caps is so easy that there is build room for nearly anything.  Its in danger of being my new fave set. (Bio, Rad, Dark, Invul are still beloved, though)

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

On 6/18/2020 at 9:10 PM, Camel said:

So, I loaded up Beta and am "play testing" right now. And by that I mean... I started a solo +4 ITF, reached aggro cap and let them go to town. I wanted to see how long I could survive by just standing there. Doing absolutely nothing. I am not using any means to survive. I have my incarnates slotted, but I am not using Rebirth or Melee Core... It's been 7 minutes of this and I am still standing. 

cityofheroes-beta_wlUSZt51GI.jpg

edit: I stopped my timer at 15 minutes. No Rebirth, no Melee, still alive. Moving on to bigger and better things

You do realize you could turn off weave and maneuvers and use something other than agility alpha and it will be exactly the same result though, right? 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 7/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, Cosmicalityy said:

Man.. I just started leveling a SR/DM tank and I'm loving it. I tried EM on a brute as EM/fire but it was just trash. Is it just that much better on a tanker? I'm VERY interested in trying this out with either SR/EM, Fire/EM or Ice/EM on a tanker. Thanks for inspiring.

My Fire/EM Tank is a blast to play. Burn helps EM out in the AoE department, and Fiery Embrace makes Energy Transfer and Total Focus deal tons of bonus damage. I would definitely recommend it. Bio would be good too.

13 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

You do realize you could turn off weave and maneuvers and use something other than agility alpha and it will be exactly the same result though, right? 

Yes. 😎