Yomo's Whizbang Potpourri Extravaganza of a Giveaway!

• 2 weeks later

Well, we have a winner.  But first, a monologue:

I've conducted a lot of experiments in Homecoming, and this one has been my favorite.  It started with a conversation in the Market forum about how much inf people "needed" to jumpstart a new alt.  I picked a number that was high enough to add real value for anyone who needed it, but low enough to keep away anyone just looking for a handout.  

Not a single person sent me a blank email.  Well, admittedly you *can't* send a blank email, but virtually every request was thoughtful, kind, and genuine.  Many of them were downright hilarious.  I kept a list of everyone's global name in a spreadsheet.  There were almost no clear-cut examples of multiple accounts (and there was of course no problem if there were!).  I got a kick out of seeing what people choose as their online tag.  And now I have a list of people that I can (eventually) send inf to whenever I want!

I want to thank everyone who went out of their way to tell other people about this giveaway (I'm sure there were many, but @Myrmidon in particular has always been a very vocal supporter.)  I did a fair amount of advertising in the Help channel myself, especially back in December.

After a year of this thread, there were 522 requests, for a total of 10,535,000,000 inf paid out.  The winner of this contest, with a guess of 12bn, is @Midnight Blue Mage!  I have sent them a direct message and will be sending them their ill-gotten gains shortly!

You're all winners in my book.  I only wish that I could, hold on a second, ...

Nope, sorry the voices in my head tell me that I can't give every one a prize.  Not this time!

This giveaway will continue for as long as I'm still around, but I'm not going to keep commenting on it to keep it relevant, so I'll let it drop down on the list of topics into oblivion.

Happy hunting!

Yomo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

Thank you for supporting the community Yomo.  It has been fun watching this.  It is a reminder of how as a community we band together in big and little ways that other MMORPGs (usually) miss the boat on completely.  Because once you come to the City part of you will always be here.  the Vahzilok are out to make sure of that!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

After a year of this thread, there were 522 requests, for a total of 10,535,000,000 inf paid out.  The winner of this contest, with a guess of 12bn, is @Midnight Blue Mage!  I have sent them a direct message and will be sending them their ill-gotten gains shortly!

Congratulations, @Midnight Blue Mage, that will curb having to do any Influence gathering for a few.

• Thanks 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I've said it before, Yomo, you embody what makes this game's population such cool froods!

Bless you for your (now doubled) generosity, and all the fun!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 2 months later

Rise! Rise from oblivion!

Seriously, though, Yomo is a real gem of a player. I've learned so much from reading his threads. I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but it seemed the best place to thank Yomo for everything.

Thank you! May your impact on this community never be underestimated.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later
6 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I have good news and I have bad news.  The bad news is that I am discontinuing the Whizbang Potpourri Extravaganza as of today.

What's the good news?

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

7 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The bad news is that I am discontinuing the Whizbang Potpourri Extravaganza as of today.

This was a great service to the community.

I apologize if I promoted it too much in the forums and in-game.

• Thumbs Left 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.