Fortunata build help/brainstorming.

Camel

Heyo. I've mentioned it before, I think I even started a forum post about this goal of mine somewhere in the Dominator forums. But I'm on a mission to get a fully IOd/Incarnate/Accolade build for every AT in the game. I'm currently only missing a Peacebringer, Mastermind and Arachnos Crab/Bane. The build I'm sharing is what I have built in game for my Fortunata, I believe I have every IO already slotted.. But am unsure because... I have hardly played it! Something about it felt un-inspiring to me. What do you all think of this build? I opted out of control, and instead went for a pure offensive approach, a hybrid of Melee and Ranged. Did I do something wrong here? Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Arachnos Widow
Primary Power Set: Fortunata Training
Secondary Power Set: Fortunata Teamwork
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Poison Dart -- SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(A), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 2: Combat Training: Offensive -- Acc-I(A)
Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 6: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Follow Up -- SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), RctArm-ResDam(11), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(11)
Level 12: Dominate -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(13), HO:Perox(13), UnbCns-Dam%(15), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(15), GldJvl-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Spin -- SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(42), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(43)
Level 16: Lunge -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Hct-Acc/Rchg(25), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Hct-Dam%(34)
Level 18: Psionic Tornado -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(23), FrcFdb-Rechg%(25)
Level 20: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Foresight -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 24: Mind Link -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(34), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Tactical Training: Leadership -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Build%(31)
Level 28: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Psychic Wail -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), RctArm-ResDam(36), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(50)
Level 38: Aura of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(40), CrcPrs-Conf%(40)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 44: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Apc-Dam%(46), GldJvl-Dam%(50)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Tactical Training: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Conditioning 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(7), PrfShf-End%(7)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
------------
------------

At a quick glance, the only thing I'd say you did "wrong" is the slotting of Mind Link. 3-Slots is fine, but with 3-slots you want a Adjusted Targeting (Recharge) and 2xLotG (Def/Global and Def/Recharge). The tiny fractional bonuses from the Red Fortune set won't be missed.

Things I would do differently, YMMV. I tried to avoid wholesale changes to power choices, but I can't help myself.

I don't know that I've ever taken Combat Training: Offensive. While leveling up, I usually have a Kismet Accuracy (ToHit) Global in an auto power. At level 50 I usually have plenty of +Accuracy bonuses from sets. If it was an IO mule I'd consider it, but as is I've never needed it.

I wouldn't focus on trying to get piecemeal S/L resistances (see Indomitable Will). My Fortunata(e) pass on the Fighting pool, but by taking Tough I feel like that should be all the S/L you need, given that your (positional) defenses can be made extraordinarily high, even without Mind Link. Because of Combat Training: Defensive, the Melee Positional will be the highest and won't need focused attention. Mileage varies of course.

My own approach to Defense & Resist slotting on defense-based builds (like Fortunatae) is to use minimal slotting for Global IOs (Shield Wall, Gladiator Armor, Steadfast Protection, Unbreakable Guard, LotG), and then consider adding one more slot to boost Defense (usually with a 2nd LotG piece but sometimes Shield Wall, which can be boosted to 50+5). I don't like to use extra slots in defense powers if I am up against Enhancement Diversification penalties. The one exception is that I try to 6-slot Reactive Defenses for the Endurance Discount and Global recharge bonuses (and the Scaling Damage resistance piece). Note that Foresight takes both Resistance and Defense sets.

I won't fault anyone for taking Tactical Training: Leadership, and your slotting choice is fine if you are going to be in large teams. However, if you are looking to make yourself more of an offensive threat I recommend moving the 6-piece Gaussian set from Tactical Training: Leadership into Aim instead. You definitely want the set bonus from the 6-piece set, but spamming Aim (with the Build Up proc chance at 90%) before you unleash your attacks will improve your offense much more than relying on the (passive) triggering of Build Up from the Leadership toggle. Aim should be available every 25 seconds or better (I didn't check your total Global recharge bonus) as long as you are still getting the set bonuses.

I would add a %Damage proc to Psychic Wail. This is your nuke, it will be proc friendly with your Armageddon slotting. Even if you don't take my advice on Gloom (keep reading) the %Damage proc is better used in the PBAoE than in a non-snipe single-target attack.

I like the Coercive Persuasion set, but not in a PBAoE. I realize you may be slotting this for the (very good) set bonuses. Aura of Confusion is a GOOD power for defense), but if you want to be an offensive threat you should consider slotting it with the two available %Damage procs (Malaise, Cacophony) and the Acc/Recharge from Malaise. I wouldn't give up on the set, but it would mean making a different power choice (and having 6-slots). This advice is breaking my rule about not changing power choices, so disregard.

I won't fault the slotting for Dominate, but I will say this: I have never been impressed with the Superior Entomb proc (3PPM IIRC). I think with this slotting it should proc around 41% of the time but I don't think the power stacks with itself, which would also cut into its visibility. If going for a 2-piece set bonus, I would consider a little extra recovery from Gladiator's Javelin before the extra resistance from Superior Entomb (but as I wrote, I de-prioritize resistances on defensive builds). I would move the Apocalypse % Damage proc here, and replace the 6-pieces in Gloom with a 6-piece Thunderstrike for more ranged defense.  I see what you are shooting for with the current Gloom slotting, but generally I find the single-target ranged attacks from Patron pools (for Widows) to not be great contributors to DPS, if you don't need a 6-piece set bonus I wouldn't add a 6th slot for a %damage proc to such a power. This touches on my own preference for Dominate slotting. I don't fault this proc-approach at all, but I use 4-slots of Basilisk's Gaze and the two 4.5 PPM %Damage procs. This gives a nice Global Recharge contribution, boosts hold duration and adds enough extra single-target damage for my needs. 7.5% Global Recharge (Basilisk;s 4-piece bonus) v. 10% Global Recharge (Very Rare 5-piece bonus).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd move the apoc proc to dominate too but it hits way too hard for me to agree with tidge's slotting - hold duration's immaterial on a corpse and it's up so fast from high global recharge that you're stacking the hold on hard targets anyway. The entombed proc works against you since it has recharge built in to it. My dominate has the two purple procs, glad jav proc, ghost widow proc and 2 +5 damage. ❤️ it, prolly one of my favorite powers in the game. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I'd move the apoc proc to dominate too but it hits way too hard for me to agree with tidge's slotting - hold duration's immaterial on a corpse and it's up so fast from high global recharge that you're stacking the hold on hard targets anyway. The entombed proc works against you since it has recharge built in to it. My dominate has the two purple procs, glad jav proc, ghost widow proc and 2 +5 damage. ❤️ it, prolly one of my favorite powers in the game. 

I grok this approach. I am biased perhaps because I run Heather Townsend's DA1 arc at x8, and occasionally RWZ missions as well... I find tabbing my Dominate attack around assorted mobs (e.g. Tsoo Sorcerers) to be a major consideration. If Dominate were reliably KOing Lieutenants which heal and buff allies, I'd agree with going the pure damage route. I'm less trying to stack the Hold on a single hard target than I am spamming a single-target Hold across many Lieutenant classes. This is just my play style of course.

I'm slightly biased against the Ghost Widow %Damage proc in Dominate because it is more Psi damage... and things which resist Psi damage resist it HARD. The level range on the Ghost Widow set stops it at 17, which probably isn't much of an issue. Even though the damage is Lethal, assuming I want a proc I'd switch to Gladiator's Net's %Damage instead.

I like leaning on the boosted damage (I've done it myself) but given that 2-pieces of Unbreakable Constraint add a Recovery bonus, and Fortunata builds will run HOT, I'd consider slotting the Hold/End piece in place of the second damage boost.

I enjoy reading the different choices on Dominate, as it is very flexible.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 2

I see your point on the lethal. I built that a while ago and i think my logic at the time was that I was already doing plenty of both lethal and psi, so ppms and damage amounts being equal (pve) i went with the cheaper option. I do wish the devs would switch damage types in either GW or neuronic shutdown - seems strange to have 2 of the same type damage in the same category, but obviously not a high priority fix.

• Like 1

I’m a fan of tactics getting the Gaussian for a team-focused character. It’s just insane in procs especially with some MMS around. I think you do enough on demand burst with wail that adding extra is just wasting more overall dps - but that’s probably preference... but when aim + wail is up that’s prettty much already a dead group 

9 hours ago, kiramon said:

I’m a fan of tactics getting the Gaussian for a team-focused character. It’s just insane in procs especially with some MMS around. I think you do enough on demand burst with wail that adding extra is just wasting more overall dps - but that’s probably preference... but when aim + wail is up that’s prettty much already a dead group 

Don't discount that Psychic Wail is all Psi damage, and things that resist Psi resist it HARD. It is a great nuke; quite frankly for me it is the primary reason to ever consider Hasten on a Fortunata (with Mind Link as the other reason). 

20 hours ago, tidge said:

I find tabbing my Dominate attack around assorted mobs (e.g. Tsoo Sorcerers)

Nooo... confuse them! Confusing support enemies is basically a hobby of mine at this point. 

• Haha 3
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Thanks for the replies! Admittedly, I made this build back around... December? This might not seem huge, but my knowledge of Mids builds is always increasing. I used to think I was really really good at making builds, and to a degree.. I am. But more often than not, every few months, I'll pull up an old build of mine and think "why would I EVER do that?"

I normally do slot the Gaussian's proc in powers like Aim or Build Up, I prefer the control over the randomness of Tactics. Glad to know I didn't do anything glaringly wrong, I was convinced I did... Because I don't enjoy this AT as much as I thought I would. Nothing wrong with that I guess.. Just feels odd. 

6 hours ago, Camel said:

But more often than not, every few months, I'll pull up an old build of mine and think "why would I EVER do that?"

Oh, I tweak and tweak and tweak. I also go through phases. I have been umming and ahhing about maybe taking Total Domination on my fortunata for funsies, despite knowing that I am very comfortable with the build I use.

On not enjoying it... widows can completely afford to drop the fighting pool if you move some stuff around, which opens up some more power slots for control if that's what you might enjoy more.

My current thing in builds is "not really worrying about defence" and it's going fine, but other people think leaving Atlas Park with anything less than 45% is a suicide mission. I'm levelling a dark/dark corruptor at the moment and it's very sturdy for its level.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 hour ago, Gulbasaur said:

I have been umming and ahhing about maybe taking Total Domination on my fortunata

In your amazing Doctor Fortune Guide you take it at level 26, I think!
Has your guide theorycraft changed? Is there a version 5 build now?
Are you discussing a different character?
Let us know!

11 hours ago, Camel said:

Thanks for the replies! Admittedly, I made this build back around... December? This might not seem huge, but my knowledge of Mids builds is always increasing. I used to think I was really really good at making builds, and to a degree.. I am. But more often than not, every few months, I'll pull up an old build of mine and think "why would I EVER do that?"

I normally do slot the Gaussian's proc in powers like Aim or Build Up, I prefer the control over the randomness of Tactics. Glad to know I didn't do anything glaringly wrong, I was convinced I did... Because I don't enjoy this AT as much as I thought I would. Nothing wrong with that I guess.. Just feels odd. 

Did you play it a lot? 
A lot of it was a mindset change for me - but it eventually clicked and I think it’s the best “psychic” style character in the game which helps thematically at least lol

9 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

In your amazing Doctor Fortune Guide you take it at level 26, I think!
Has your guide theorycraft changed? Is there a version 5 build now?
Are you discussing a different character?
Let us know!

It goes in and out and in and out... Who even knows any more?

I've been enjoying tankers a lot recently actually, and my dark/dark corruptor is fun.

No secret hidden builds, just forgetfulness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1