Name release

Jawbreaker

• 4 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
  • 2 months later
6 hours ago, Player2 said:

Boobytrap

I had to grab this one, it's just too good not to. There's really only one way to go with it from a design standpoint, obvious as it may be. So here's my new Traps defender:

boobytrap.png

boobytrap1.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

14 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

I had to grab this one, it's just too good not to. There's really only one way to go with it from a design standpoint, obvious as it may be. So here's my new Traps defender:

boobytrap.png

I went with Gravity/Traps controller...  and she looked like this:

image.png

• Haha 2

• 3 months later

Some names I just won't be able to get to. Reply here, send me a tell or email @Echo Night if you want em. First come first get. I'll hold onto them until they're taken, then I'll update the list.

Jack Swag                                                                           Motor Hum

Biolence                                                                              Outlaw Assassin

Doctor Space Cape                                                             Rock n Thundra

Asee Dsee                                                                           Silent Deep

Epic Blades                                                                          Thunder Thumbs

Bloody Knuckles                                                                  Star Tears

Circle Back                                                                           Star Cries

Mechanical Fury                                                                  More HumanThan Human

Shock Absorb                                                                      Soul Igniter

Skill Check                                                                           Dane Star

Lethal Heat                                                                          Dreamfolder

Aeon Gold                                                                           Echo Locator

Brocco Li                                                                              Rigor Rags

Fuzzy Trace                                                                          

Lescoe Brandon

Edited by Echo Night
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Looking to get some names on Excelsior.  Moved to Torch to play with RL friends awhile back and they've since abandoned the game, and I'd like to come back to Excelsior with some of my regulars.  I've got names for trade on Excelsior for characters I'm less interested in playing, or if you'd like to move to Torch with the same name there we can arrange that, also.  Also, do me favor and shoot me a private message if you have any of these names and are not interested in parting with them...  will save me time and grief of wondering whether or not I should give up on them.  If you want to make a deal, you can private message me here on the forum or in game as @Player2.

NAMES WANTED ON EXCELSIOR

• Big Girl  (my main, and my primary interest in bringing over to Excelsior)
  • Boobytrap  (I know, I just suggested this and someone grabbed it here a little while back)
  • Espionage
  • White Hot
  • Decider
  • Halloween Girl
  • Hot Spell
  • Kicks
  • Kid Nemesis
  • Lucky 7
  • Midnight Rose
  • Misfortune
  • Pretense
  • Red Hot Hottie
  • Soulsword
  • Thunderblade

NAMES I HAVE TO TRADE ON EXCELSIOR

• Battle Babe
  • Blixt
  • Blood Mage
  • Boost
  • Cheesecake
  • Crazed
  • Dragonstorm
  • Glory Hammer
  • Instigator
  • Kings Row Queen
  • Large Lass
  • Legendary
  • Mighty One
  • Naked Fury
  • Omnipotence
  • Peerless
  • Quickener
  • Something Else
  • Threat Level

• 4 weeks later

Seeing as I don't play on Excelsior anymore I have released the following names into the wild.  May they find a loving home

American Valor
Atomic Spectre
Bee
Bullseye (Not 100% sure this name will be available after I release it)
Captain Lightning
Chromia
Curare
Dreadwing
Everglade
Horribelle
Imperial
Invincibelle
Iron Tiger
Katana
Major Risk
Madam Cold
Menace
Metalhead
Mudslinger
Night Woman
Outburst
Owl Woman
Payback
Posionous
Pinnacle
Red Sun
Red Viper
Rumor
Samaritan
Shadoweaver
Silver Ghost
Warbird

Edited by Unknown_User
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Bullseye (Not 100% sure this name will be available after I release it)

Legally speaking, that name cannot be trademarked.  As long as no one uses it in conjunction with an appearance similar to the Daredevil foe, it would be fine.  Unique made up names can be trademarked, as can legally distinct images.  Public domain words (anything found in the dictionary) cannot be trademarked.

Also... damn, someone beat me to Menace and Payback.

Edited by Player2

On 6/17/2022 at 4:01 PM, Player2 said:

Looking to get some names on Excelsior.  Moved to Torch to play with RL friends awhile back and they've since abandoned the game, and I'd like to come back to Excelsior with some of my regulars.  I've got names for trade on Excelsior for characters I'm less interested in playing, or if you'd like to move to Torch with the same name there we can arrange that, also.  Also, do me favor and shoot me a private message if you have any of these names and are not interested in parting with them...  will save me time and grief of wondering whether or not I should give up on them.  If you want to make a deal, you can private message me here on the forum or in game as @Player2.

NAMES WANTED ON EXCELSIOR

• Big Girl  (my main, and my primary interest in bringing over to Excelsior)
  • Boobytrap  (I know, I just suggested this and someone grabbed it here a little while back)
  • Espionage
  • White Hot
  • Decider
  • Halloween Girl
  • Hot Spell
  • Kicks
  • Kid Nemesis
  • Lucky 7
  • Midnight Rose
  • Misfortune
  • Pretense
  • Red Hot Hottie
  • Soulsword
  • Thunderblade

NAMES I HAVE TO TRADE ON EXCELSIOR

• Battle Babe
  • Blixt
  • Blood Mage
  • Boost
  • Cheesecake
  • Crazed
  • Dragonstorm
  • Glory Hammer
  • Instigator
  • Kings Row Queen
  • Large Lass
  • Legendary
  • Mighty One
  • Naked Fury
  • Omnipotence
  • Peerless
  • Quickener
  • Something Else
  • Threat Level

Big Girl has been granted to me.  😎

Large Lass is now available for whomever wants it!

• 3 months later
On 7/14/2022 at 4:19 AM, Player2 said:

Public domain words (anything found in the dictionary) cannot be trademarked.

Amazon®, Apple®, Oracle®, and Target® would all like a word.  Not to mention Marvel®, who has indeed registered Bullseye® as a trademark. :)

You may be thinking of "genericization"—that when a name of a particular product starts to become used as a generic term for all products of that type, it loses protection as a trademark.  Some historical examples include Aspirin, Escalator, and Teleprompter—all of which used to be trademarked product names but eventually became generic terms.  But there's no rule that dictionary words can't be trademarked. 

BTW, to bring this slightly on-topic, "Escalator" is available on Excelsior, but "Aspirin" and "Teleprompter" are taken (I figured that last one is way too good to still be available.)

ETA: Please meet my newest character, the Purple Pedant.  Battle cry: "Well, actually..."

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 1

• 1 month later
On 11/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, Zhym said:

Amazon®, Apple®, Oracle®, and Target® would all like a word.  Not to mention Marvel®, who has indeed registered Bullseye® as a trademark. 🙂

You may be thinking of "genericization"—that when a name of a particular product starts to become used as a generic term for all products of that type, it loses protection as a trademark.  Some historical examples include Aspirin, Escalator, and Teleprompter—all of which used to be trademarked product names but eventually became generic terms.  But there's no rule that dictionary words can't be trademarked. 

BTW, to bring this slightly on-topic, "Escalator" is available on Excelsior, but "Aspirin" and "Teleprompter" are taken (I figured that last one is way too good to still be available.)

ETA: Please meet my newest character, the Purple Pedant.  Battle cry: "Well, actually..."

Some additional info on this topic:

https://writing.stackexchange.com/questions/55883/character-name-trademarks-and-copyrights

Marvel and DC both own characters named Captain Marvel (although technically DC has started calling their's Shazam to avoid confusion, even though that's just a load of crap, because the wizard's name who gives the hero his powers is Shazam).  Only Marvel can publish a comic book named Captain Marvel, though, because they have that trademarked as a comic book title... even though the words Captain and Marvel are technically common words.

Likewise, Marvel has a trademark on Thor, even though that name belongs to public domain mythology.  Marvel owns the rights to publish comic books (and cartoons and movies) using that name.  Marvel also has a trademark on their specific likeness of Thor.  Years back, Image Comics published a comic where the title character (Supreme) fought Thor and took his hammer.  This lead to the two competing in Asgard by Odin's decree for who would keep Mjolnir... a very similar story to the one Marvel published that is the origin story of Beta Ray Bill.  Image's use of Thor in both name and appearance was quite legal because the trademark doesn't apply here as the character's name is used in the story and was not the title of the comic, and his appearance was distinctly different from Marvel's version of Thor for having red hair and a unique style.

3dfcbeb0b18635327f381511f8ecbb51.jpg

So, technically, Marvel does indeed have a trademark on their character Bullseye.  However, as they do not regularly publish a Bullseye comic book, it's dubious as to whether or not anyone else could do so (because I'm too lazy to go look up when the last time they did publish a Bullseye comic and when their trademark to it was last applied, as trademarks must be renewed every 10 years)...  and as long as someone isn't trying to recreate Marvel's version of Bullseye (any of them, probably including the female version in Lady Bullseye), trademark law would not be something that could be invoked over the word as a character name.

Oh, yeah, one more edit...  DC Comics has also used their own version of Thor as the mythological Norse god of thunder.

main-qimg-d3752ffe6c67937246dbb0420be06a

Not to mention the name being used by various other comics for characters both based on the myths as well as being completely original in both origin and appearance.

Edited by Player2

I don't think it matters which armchair copyright lawyer is technically right as much as whether Homecoming's legal team (do they have a legal team?) wants to mess with Disney's and/or Warner Bros' legal teams about it. I'm guessing they don't.

Use names similar to those of existing characters at your own risk; the cemeteries are full of people who had the right of way.

Anyway, I released the following today:

• Chessboard
  • Devkit
  • Four Elements
  • Giant Saguaro
  • Glacierface
  • Inkarnate
  • Miss Fire
  • One-Hit Wonder
  • Pharaoh's Curse
  • Pop Culture
  • Ripperologist
  • Rotten Egg
  • Silent Sentinel
  • Vacant Championship
  • Like 2

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

10 hours ago, Player2 said:

Is that list what you have to trade or looking to acquire?

/getglobalname Frog shows it owned by @Vulture, this appears to be a list of offers.

I just released more unused names:

• Sabaton
  • Rocking Horse
  • Miss Illusion
  • Egomaniac
  • Papa Loa