Manga

The Apple Transition To ARM

Very good points, but I'd like to throw some personal experience in here

5 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

But two thoughts occur to me. The first is that expecting ANY 16-year-old game to run on new platforms is a bit... optimistic. There are whole generations of Windows games that won't run on Wi7-10 without converters, OS emulators, etc. Going from 2006 Windows to 2021 Mac is... extreme in any case.

Yeah, games aged and platforms change, so expectations should be realistic, but...

I have apps apps and games that I've been using since the Release of Windows 3.11 that Still run (albeit begrudgingly) on Windows 10. That's a slightly different beast with Apple as they've flipped platforms drastically two (?) times now and those are the times when pain is felt the most, but there's always been a solution until now.

As for the Mac side of long term compatibility, besides testing this and stuff for work, (because I could) I retested the compatibility of the GoG versions of The Journeyman Project Trilogy. I bring this up because because I'd played the game back in the mid 90s (first game is from 93 I think) and had been active in Tommy Yune's Journeyman Project forums. He looked me (and probably others) up somewhere between 5-10 yrs ago (?) to ask if I'd "smoke test" the remake of the first game for Linux/MacOS/Windows as they were secretly planning a rerelease to work on more modern platforms. I think it was about a month or so of testing later and we had viable ISOs that were sold physically and eventually on platforms like GoG (my preferences for PC because I hate DRM). Note: This was Volunteer work, but I did get a signed copy.

Why'd I bring that up? Because I managed to get that up and running on my M1 with probably nothing other than Rosetta 2 being installed. I didn't have to tweak anything or do any funky process. Now the older games I had to run within my Parllels/Win10 ARM environment as I didn't feel like finding the MacOS ISOs, but they worked mostly right. Pretty good for something built for 16 bit Windows using Quicktime too boot. Mind you, these likely had a wrapper of sorts to support x64 when on Win10, but ARM felt like a gamble and it was cool to see it pay off.

The other is that no one has to buy a new ARM Mac, and might want to think the investment through on many points besides the pinnacle one of CoH compatibility. ( 😜 )

The big caveat to this argument is that unless you intentionally buy an Intel Mac (assuming you need to get a Mac for reasons). Not to long from now (if not already), Apple will stop producing Intel Macs, period and anyone buying a Mac won't have a choice if their needs require modern/current equipment.

Granted, we don't Know how long this game will last either. Especially being a "work of love" as it is, so the reality is that we're already on borrowed time and I'd expect most understand that.

OG Server: Pinnacle || Current Server: Torchbearer  || Also found on Indomitable & Excelsior (when needed)

Getting Started  ||  Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  ||  Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Mids' Reborn  ||  HeroStats  ||  Vidiot Maps  ||  QoL, Mods, etc  ||  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Old Forums  ||  Titan Network  ||  The City Representative (3rd party Info site for all servers)

21 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

The big caveat to this argument is that unless you intentionally buy an Intel Mac (assuming you need to get a Mac for reasons). Not to long from now (if not already), Apple will stop producing Intel Macs, period and anyone buying a Mac won't have a choice if their needs require modern/current equipment.

I think the only things I could say (and already typed and deleted) would be taken as or spark yet another round of platform flamewars. I'll just say that there comes a time when a maker clearly doesn't care about its legacy users, and that's the time to stop investing no matter how large the sunk costs.

(Speaking from 30 years in graphics, imaging, CAD, video, music/audio production—both as user and systems consultant.)

Seems like keeping an Intel Mac or two around to run legacy apps and beat up Arachnos is a perfectly viable strategy for quite some time. 🙂

Get the MASSIVELY UPDATED 2021 Technical Guide, the
GABB Bindfile and more useful stuff at 
www.Shenanigunner.com
Beam on over to The Teleport Guide!
/evillaugh at www.CityOfZeroes.net