Talks with NCSoft take over a year?

irishhawk

9 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

You’re right Troo, I suppose I meant new TFs and zones and stuff like that, rather than new features per se. Everything HC has put in the game so far has been amazing, didn’t mean to sound negative or ungrateful!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm reasonably confident I could play the game as-is for another 3-5 years, even if the only new missions added are AE storylines.

EDIT:  I'm very much character-driven / story driven though.  Heck, I still find myself firing up Skyrim every so often if I get a new character concept in my head.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm reasonably confident I could play the game as-is for another 3-5 years, even if the only new missions added are AE storylines.

EDIT:  I'm very much character-driven / story driven though.  Heck, I still find myself firing up Skyrim every so often if I get a new character concept in my head.

True and CoH has such fun gameplay, it’s quite unique really and with so much customisation. 

Maybe if there was an agreement with NCSoft there would be more appetite for doing bigger projects for CoH. I think while things are up in the air there are limits on how much we can expect. What I love about HC is it feels like a community endeavour. It feels very different from the usual corporate setup for a MMO, I don’t know if anyone else feels that?

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

I don't believe this is about purchasing.  A large development studio or publishing company might convince NCSoft to sell the IP, but that was never in the cards for any fan-based operation.  And given the small change value we can offer as donors, or even subscribers, there's no real money to be made in licensing fees for a company the size of NCSoft.  Most likely, the negotiations are simply for use of the server code and absolution of NCSoft in the case of liability issues.  NCSoft would retain IP rights, but wouldn't be dragged into any disputes over copyright issues.  That's a different approach from an attempt to buy the IP, and given the all but dead status of the IP, one they're likely willing to permit, as long as their collective ass is covered.

Sorry, I used buy out too loosely and should have referred to license, lease or cajole them to legally grant access.

in the end if it eliminates the possibility a whilly nilly executive can pull the  rug out and the community gives the game the attention it deserves - it’s a win. 

We are on the 4th attempt here kids, it’s gotta give one of these days.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• City Council

As others have said, these things take time even when the deal is in simple, well-trodden territory. This isn't simple, and it's certainly not well-trodden territory.

It'll also probably not surprise you to learn that Coronavirus hasn't had a positive impact on the speed of this process 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

You’re right Troo, I suppose I meant new TFs and zones and stuff like that, rather than new features per se. Everything HC has put in the game so far has been amazing, didn’t mean to sound negative or ungrateful!

Kallisti is a semi-new zone.  So we know how to build them.
Creating Task Forces is generally like creating other new content.  It's just about tying the appropriate reward tables in.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 minutes ago, Patti said:

I was told kallisti and all new emotes were already made and in beta at time of closure.   But homecomers did make some things like the rogue and vignette missions are level 35.

Kallisti was only partly done. 

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

58 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

As others have said, these things take time even when the deal is in simple, well-trodden territory. This isn't simple, and it's certainly not well-trodden territory.

It'll also probably not surprise you to learn that Coronavirus hasn't had a positive impact on the speed of this process 🙂

But Jimmy, how long can I be expected to play this awesome, free, pirated game without knowing whether it's officially permitted by the people that killed it?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, duane said:

in the end if it eliminates the possibility a whilly nilly executive can pull the  rug out and the community gives the game the attention it deserves - it’s a win.

Frankly, I doubt anyone in power at NCSoft cares one way or the other at this point.  Someone handed it off to their legal staff and said, "Talk to these people", and as far as the company is concerned, it's handled.  It's almost certainly down to whatever agreement can (or cannot) be reached by the attorneys now.  As long as the HC team isn't asking for anything "outrageous", a deal of some kind will probably be reached eventually.

It's far, far more likely that the Homecoming server will operate in legal limbo for another 3-5 years, and eventually achieve an arrangement which allows it to continue, than it is for someone to order the talks to stop and C&D notices sent out.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

35 minutes ago, Patti said:

Isn't there also a chance that someone like Jack emvert has a contract stipulating involvement in any legal negotiation?

No.  Cryptic sold all IP rights to NCSoft about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

a deal of some kind will probably be reached eventually.

I've never cared for relying on the heat death of the universe as a deadline ...

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

My question is has a hard deadline ever been discussed? If you can not get some sort deal/agreement by XX date then we move on. These talks, which I support, have already hampered a couple of things.There has to be a point when you say enough and move on. And I am not saying we are near that point but I am curious when you think that date may be.

I know "talks"  have been tried a couple times before and nothing ever came from them.

38 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

My question is has a hard deadline ever been discussed? If you can not get some sort deal/agreement by XX date then we move on. These talks, which I support, have already hampered a couple of things.There has to be a point when you say enough and move on. And I am not saying we are near that point but I am curious when you think that date may be.

I know "talks"  have been tried a couple times before and nothing ever came from them.

That’s the problem with a negotiation without a deadline, nothing much happens. Whose interest is it in for the talks to be delayed. Them or ours?

In a way we get to keep playing while a decision is made. But on the negative without that security it hampers peoples enthusiasm to put in loads of dev time surely. If HC got the green light legally then I think it make a huge difference on how we feel about this game. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone