5 Things to Encourage Conventional Leveling

Kraqule

3 minutes ago, Six Six said:

That's hardly fair. Not every AE arc/story is a fire farm. Some of them are really good, dare I say better than some of the "official" content.

Have rewards on completion of AE, but not for fighting?

I'm with Yomo on this one. I don't see a problem that needs fixing.

Some people farm comic con maps all day long. Some people like player-generated AE content (not fire farms). Some start with Matthew or origin contact, and progress through contact introductions all the way until Ephram Sha. Some do DFB, then Posi 1, 2, and all the TFs. And some to a little bit of everything. Isn't that the beauty of the game? there's no one way to play it? low-level content is there for those who like it, easily skippable for those who don't--with a butt-load of alternative content made by players themselves.

How does it benefit the community if everyone plays the lower levels instead of power-levelling?

• Like 6

15 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I'd recommend increasing Merit Rewards when your character is the appropriate level to the Task Force / Trial.

If I'm level 15 to 20, automatically get 2x the Merits from Beast in the Mountain.   If I'm Level 21 to 30, 1.25x Merits.  Anything after that, regular Merits.

This is a fantastic idea, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kraqule said:

Players playing the story lines should benefit more as it promotes socialization which creates a healthier MMO.

Players playing like they want to is probably the best way to keep a game healthy. Forcing them to do something they don't like will just have them leaving for other games, and in either case they never played story lines. What was gained? I feel like the "problem" is just a strawman here.

11 hours ago, Replacement said:
  • Increase ability to join in on your teammates' arcs (a way to gain their contact, and ideally even join mid-arc for lessened rewards).
  • Increase level band of contact availability.  Ideally, the minimum levels should be lowered by 1 and maximums increased by 5. 

I like these suggestions.

16 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I'd recommend increasing Merit Rewards when your character is the appropriate level to the Task Force / Trial.

If I'm level 15 to 20, automatically get 2x the Merits from Beast in the Mountain.   If I'm Level 21 to 30, 1.25x Merits.  Anything after that, regular Merits.

This sounds cool, too.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

16 hours ago, Kraqule said:

Players playing the story lines should benefit more as it promotes socialization which creates a healthier MMO.

What exactly is preventing you from using the available tools in game and here on the forums?  Seek out like minded players, form a group, team up and run all the content how you like.  You have plenty of tools available to do as much socializing as you want to.  At least to me, this solves your perceived problem and there is zero development time required.  You and others like you can play how you like and others can play how they like.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

What exactly is preventing you from using the available tools in game and here on the forums?  Seek out like minded players, form a group, team up and run all the content how you like.  You have plenty of tools available to do as much socializing as you want to.  At least to me, this solves your perceived problem and there is zero development time required.  You and others like you can play how you like and others can play how they like.

Also we have a bajillion (slight exaggeration lmao) chat channels. The main socialization in COH doesn't come from teaming. Since quite a few pickup groups I team with sometimes don't even talk in team chat. Yet I see folks chatting away in LFG, Help, General, and the respective server channels.

• Like 1

I think this thread kind of fundamentally misunderstands farming.  I don't think there are a ton of people out there saying, "God, I long to do regular content, but I just can't get over the insufficient rewards."  You farm because some of the following apply to you:

• You enjoy farming.
  • You actively do not enjoy (or are bored with) other options for levelling
  • You want to get enough money/XP for some goal (purpling out an alt, seeing what a particular combo plays like at high level) as quickly as possible, especially solo

Making the rewards for other content higher will not affect either of the first two reasons, and it will only affect the third reason if we actually make the rewards for other content not just higher, but superior to farming (and maybe not even then.  You can already make more money from the market than farming).

Edited by aethereal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Kraqule said:
  1. Increase Task Force and trials XP by 1.5 Times. 
  2. Increase Salvage and Recipes drop rates by double. For every plus to level it increases the chances at a rare recipe and salvage drop.
  3. Increase Merits by double.
  4. Make all sub 40 recipes require uncommon or lower salvage and have 2 level ranges 10-25 and 25 plus for stats. (Lower level recipes are far too rare and cost far too much to build)
  5. All post 50 TF's should drop rare recipes at double to triple the rate of any other. Less people would "farm" AE's and would participate in TF's more.

Most people farm AE's as it is the most effective way to obtain rare recipes and salvage while power leveling. 

Better drops rates in TF's would do 2 things. More people would participate in Task Forces and the speed runs at -1 utilizing stealth and speed to avoid clearing the villains would stop as all players would be more invested in obtaining the rewards.

My 2 cents for keeping the game vibrant.

So why would I do lower level content if you are increasing the chance for a purple for 50 content exactly? 

I have no issue with the xp increase.

I think the drop rates are fine, but would support a 50% increase (not double).

Merits are fine as is and you can always get the double merits from the weekly.

Regarding the sub 40 recipes... meh I don't use sets generally much before 50 so doesn't really affect me either way.

17 hours ago, Replacement said:

The biggest buffs you could make to the game's story arcs:

• Increase ability to join in on your teammates' arcs (a way to gain their contact, and ideally even join mid-arc for lessened rewards).
  • Increase level band of contact availability.  Ideally, the minimum levels should be lowered by 1 and maximums increased by 5. 
    • That would significantly help when trying to run story arcs with friends when one of you is 27 and the other is 24 and the amount of time it takes to get you both inside the level band is also the amount of time you both have until it's time to put the kids to bed.

Being able to join an arc and finish it with somebody for X% of the reward equal to X% of the arc you ran would be amazing. Its always annoying that you can run a whole story arc with another player all the way through, but because you didnt also have the contact + the same missions you lose out 😕

• Like 2

I rarely if ever farm, particularly when playing an AT, set or sets I've never (or rarely) played in 'normal' content.  But I do run AE story content, contact/story arcs, TFs, street sweep, etc., for variety as the mood strikes.  Even when I do farm/grind it's rarely in a traditional AE farm way.  I'll just rerun thru Ouroborous some of the same 'normal' content as there is simply a lot of it in the game blueside.  Often ran the old Posi TF in a duo on Live for merits.  Personally I'm most strongly motivated by Merit rewards.  But even then maxing the return is low on the list.  If I speed through a TF it's because I enjoy the challenge of doing so not because it might max my time vs reward metrics.

I don't think increasing rewards is going to change in any fundamental way how people play and level unless those rewards create an imbalance (i.e. a new problem/issue) of their own as a result.

• Like 1

Overall, I feel like this is a solution to something that isn’t a real problem. I see less call outs of AW farm now than I did during live. I will run an AE farm now and again, but mainly to check for build issues without interfering with anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Being able to join an arc and finish it with somebody for X% of the reward equal to X% of the arc you ran would be amazing. Its always annoying that you can run a whole story arc with another player all the way through, but because you didnt also have the contact + the same missions you lose out 😕

I agree that this would be the biggest improvement mentioned in the thread. I feel this would lead to more pugs running story arcs as a teams instead of radio missions. 

My only addition to this would be if you complete 2-3 missions on the tram but don’t complete the arc, that you can pick up the arc where the team left off at and the merit rewards at completion would be pro rated based on how many missions were completed. 

• Like 1

I am guilty of PL myself way too much. 

Though I enjoy the teaming and back in the day I had zero issues just starting a team. 

But today I just don't.. Don't ask me why.. I just don't.. 

I don't need to tell you doing the comic con farm you can get a level one toon up to 30s in 5 missions. 

Though I extremely do enjoy teaming and such. Radio missions are cool but running story arcs is interesting. 

DFB is good idea. 

I think Merits would entice me not to PL. 

As an example if I need merits I will get on a 50 and just look around for any and all TF..  I collect a few hundred to transfer over to a toon I am going to PL to covert some IOs. 

What if they had some reward that you could build up running content BUT couldn't use until you were 50.. 
EG you get 500 merits at 50 if 90% of your game play is not AE missions. 

How about you get extra Merits for every player in the group ? 

At least at 50 you could have 500 bonus merits which would equal almost a full set of purple IOs..  It can go towards your toon or bought and sold for an income boost. 

2 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Thats the reason I only team up for TF's , SF's and Itrials. I'm not going to team up with somebody running regular missions and then not see the Reward Merits. Besides I've already run all of the lvl 1-34 story arcs 30+ times during live. I prefer to run story arcs solo that way I can take my time enjoying the content. There is one exception I remember there being a mission where you have to click on 2 glories on different floors simultaneously but now that we can multibox that no longer a problem.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, ShardWarrior said:

Because its easier to bitch and moan about how others play and try to dictate how they play. Nerf what they like, remove what they like and then wonder why they stop playing your "great vision of a better healthier game"

• Haha 1