Let's talk about Paragon City. I have questions.

Also, what does it say about me that Kings Row and Brickstown feel the most like home to me?  Like real world places.

Maybe if you take a drive down Barton Street in Hamilton, you'll know what I mean.

Start here:  https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.2675533,-79.8805813,3a,75y,102.65h,74.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSyeWYLlIXiV9Ro1V0G5xzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

and just keep going east, seeing the sights.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Also, what does it say about me that Kings Row and Brickstown feel the most like home to me?  Like real world places.

Maybe if you take a drive down Barton Street in Hamilton, you'll know what I mean.

Start here:  https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.2675533,-79.8805813,3a,75y,102.65h,74.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSyeWYLlIXiV9Ro1V0G5xzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

and just keep going east, seeing the sights.  

Some of the shinier zones just don't feel lived in to me. Places like Founder's Falls and Steel Canyon just don't have the detritus that comes with large numbers of people. King's Row and Brickstown just feel and look more real. I like Talos Island because it looks nice but then all you have to do is go around to the alleys to see that sort of stuff. It just adds to the sense that those zones are more real world. 

On the flipside Praetoria really has that dystopian "way too bright and clean to be legit" feel. 

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Yes!  Thank you.   100% nail-head-hit, @Frostbiter.

Steel Canyon is my least-favourite zone from a strictly lore/narrative standpoint.  It's just boxes in a line.  I've been to Toronto, Chicago, London (England), and New York City; Steel Canyon looks nothing like any of them, but it's supposed to simulate their downtown cores.  Is there -any- real world place that looks even remotely like Steel Canyon?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Steel Canyon is my least-favourite zone from a strictly lore/narrative standpoint.  It's just boxes in a line.  I've been to Toronto, Chicago, London (England), and New York City; Steel Canyon looks nothing like any of them, but it's supposed to simulate their downtown cores.  Is there -any- real world place that looks even remotely like Steel Canyon?

Probably lots of places with a similar skyline.

But at ground level?  I can't think of a one.

This is also a big part of why I like Redside so much.  Many of the redside zones just FEEL more real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

It does remind me a tiny bit of my visit 30-ish years back to the "canyon" between the skyscrapers of the Wall Street/Broadway/Trinity area of Lower Manhattan, but even that view was broken up by the occasional church (which aren't in COH), and it has material and architectural distinctions in several skyscrapers, due to the era they were built.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:32 PM, jacehan said:

Nothing wrong with a subsection of a city being called city. NYC has Long Island City, Lefrak City, Co-Op City...

In London, there's literally the City, which is the City of London which is a different city than the city named London, which it's in. London, which is the capital city, doesn't have official city status, but the much smaller City of London is a city with official city status. London, the city that isn't officially a city, is much bigger than the City of London.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 7/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, MTeague said:

Probably lots of places with a similar skyline.

But at ground level?  I can't think of a one.

This is also a big part of why I like Redside so much.  Many of the redside zones just FEEL more real.

Yeah, that's the problem with all those skyscrapers; there's nothing at ground level.  Office districts have a lot of foot traffic.  Ground level is a prime location for retail and food places.  Where do all those Steel Canyon financial employees get their organic mocha soy lattes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always got the feeling when going through the blue zones that most of it seemed too clean. A lot of the neighborhoods somehow give off an uncanny feeling, i.e. massive skyscrapers placed far away from the rest of the skyline with pristine streets.

Going through redside, the Rogue Isles have much more interesting details with all the strewn garbage, shanty towns, and organic-looking pipes snaking about everywhere. The close proximity of all the buildings definitely lend a more realistic sense of design.

1571478484.jpg

Edited by Giovanni Valia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

As much as the Rogue Isles kinda suck to navigate on foot, they are really fun to hop from rooftop to rooftop in. Very eventful architecture. If it was just cleaned up and had humane social policies, Mercy Island f ex could be super cosy to live in.

30 minutes ago, Blastit said:

If it was just cleaned up and had humane social policies

I'm pretty sure we can RIP that plan to shreds ...

Edited by Redlynne
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

9 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I'm pretty sure we can RIP that plan to shreds ...

There's no dimension portal mission to a bizarro Rogue Isles, is there? Would be some work, I guess, to make a map without all of the trash everywhere and with some nice weather for once.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:48 PM, TraumaTrain said:

White Plains, aka the Rikti War Zone, could have been the major shopping area of the city. The wiki doesn't say much of anything about the area before the momship crashed. Looking around the zone, though, there are parks and apartments, and a few taller buildings, which may have just been high-rise apartments and condos.

I believe there's also a plaque in the zone, noting the first building to fall to the rikti invasion. A chinese buisness owner, IIRC, vowing to rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

The Premier Shopping Experience in Paragon City was the White Plains Mall and Expo Center at Coordinates 2949.6, -18.5, -5637.6. There was a misunderstanding regarding Long Term Parking Permissions that has been interfering with it's operation for some time.

The Paragon City School District's Eastgate Campus was the Primary Educational Source for children K-12. It was located at Coordinates

-749,-539, -1647, right next to the Paragon Airport.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 7/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, Techwright said:

Which one?  :classic_wink:

Zathras ZATHRAS you see difference?

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?