Some things players do that annoy you?

10 hours ago, Ukase said:

No, I'm saying that it's a peeve of mine to see several people looking for group when they could be recruiting to fill their own team. 

Now it makes sense! You didn't say I didn't get that from the first post.

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

People who have a bad attitude. Whether you’re technically right or wrong, if you have a bad attitude I really can’t be bothered. 

If you’re nice, funny and polite but the worst player ever I will at least make sure I help you finish whatever thing we’re doing, and sometimes might just stick around for company too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I dislike people who waste my time for no good reason. The other day I was recruiting up a TF, and it took a while (was morning). Then when I finally get a team of 8 together and am about to start, one play says "I'm switching to an alt, brb" and logs. WTF. They were an early pick to the team, and it took 10-15 minutes to get it all together, and at no point during that waiting time did it occur to them to change their damned character if they wanted to? Someone earned a global ignore spot right there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As a frequent TF leader I think one of the things that does legit annoy me is when someone joins but doesnt immediately hall arse to the zone the tf starts in. Like if you need to swing by p2w for the xp booster or whatever fine just say something after joining like hello all omw but need to swing by x first, apologies for the delay.

Next up would be those who QQ about things like the cave maps on a Citadel or Moonfire run. Or really QQ much about anything at all. When in a team bring some positive energy people. People who act a downer to a teams morale are imo the biggest bane in any team RL or gamewise. If your not having fun just go be on your way if you cant be part of our merry band.

My final and biggest pet peeve is more foccussed on players on the forums here, asking for changes, buffs, nerfs and more without having played anywhere near enough to have a valid viewpoint on how things need to change. Like when people who admit to only ever playing a couple ATs and power sets, yet they chime in on sets they have little first hand experience with, or ATs they never play and feel need to be nerfed to proxy buff their favored play style. Or those who only use mids and theory crafting to try and argue vs those who have played such first hand from 1- I+4 and know the practical rather than the theory based on pure math.

• Like 1

Hover blasters, /TA and /Devices blasters, all signs that they bought into the blasters=ranged fallacy. I pity the fools. Not that I'll confront them or anything though, play what you want 😁

Those with anti-mez powers in their toolkit but don't use them. Emps get the most scrutiny because the people that tend to gravitate towards them are those that want to play healers.

People that enter the mission and start smashing without waiting for the rest of the team. I'm all for efficiency but there is something to be said about common courtesy. You can wait 30 seconds before you get your smash on so that everyone can get xp.

People that leap off to the beyond after someone announces TT. And every time someone announces TT you can bet at least half the team don't stick around to use it. You CAN backtrack the 50-100 yards that you moved back to the transport and wait for the next pulse. Now the rest of the team has to wait for you to traverse across all of IP so we can start? No thanks, that's one exception that I'll make to the point above. It's really not about TT, it's about paying attention.

People that join team and immediately go "where to?" Do you play with the navigation bar/team window up bruh?

Inability to adapt, whether it's speeders trying to speed on a non-speed TF that was announced as such beforehand or people that don't know how to tune the difficulty and adjust play style based on team performance.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Just now, drbuzzard said:

I dislike people who waste my time for no good reason. The other day I was recruiting up a TF, and it took a while (was morning). Then when I finally get a team of 8 together and am about to start, one play says "I'm switching to an alt, brb" and logs. WTF. They were an early pick to the team, and it took 10-15 minutes to get it all together, and at no point during that waiting time did it occur to them to change their damned character if they wanted to? Someone earned a global ignore spot right there.

To be fair the final team composition may have altered what character they felt like using. For example when I am building a TF team on a stalker, but get lots of blasters, Ill be like brb guys I need to get my blaster now so we can play a real game of who is the better blaster.

Likewise if the team is looking like it may have troubles Ill get on someone like my PB or scrapper that offers a lot of team aid in their build on top of being tanky dps dealing monsters. That way I can help make sure even those who might struggle end up feeling effective and having fun, and can do my part to improve a players game session rather then treat them like dead weight.

1 minute ago, Nemu said:

Hover blasters, /TA and /Devices blasters, all signs that they bought into the blasters=ranged fallacy. I pity the fools. Not that I'll confront them or anything though, play what you want 😁

Those with anti-mez powers in their toolkit but don't use them. Emps get the most scrutiny because the people that tend to gravitate towards them are those that want to play healers.

People that enter the mission and start smashing without waiting for the rest of the team. I'm all for efficiency but there is something to be said about common courtesy. You can wait 30 seconds before you get your smash on so that everyone can get xp.

People that leap off to the beyond after someone announces TT. And every time someone announces TT you can bet at least half the team don't stick around to use it. You CAN backtrack the 50-100 yards that you moved back to the transport and wait for the next pulse. Now the rest of the team has to wait for you to traverse across all of IP so we can start? No thanks, that's one exception that I'll make to the point above. It's really not about TT, it's about paying attention.

People that join team and immediately go "where to?" Do you play with the navigation bar/team window up bruh?

Inability to adapt, whether it's speeders trying to speed on a non-speed TF that was announced as such beforehand or people that don't know how to tune the difficulty and adjust play style based on team performance.

#HoverBlapper4Life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

Playing a farm is playing the game.

I don't entirely disagree but doorsitting in someone else's farm is stretching it a little. Mind you people can get their kicks where they like; it's the lfg spam looking for farms to doorsit in that annoys me.

• Like 1

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general. The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content. Farming, grinding, doing chores like selling or cleaning up ones storage, are all seen as non play, filler activities people do when not actually playing the game.

Even RPing is considered one of those filler activities in the wider MMO world, and CoH has always had a pretty atypically high RP scene, yet its still not really playing the game when we are having hours of interesting RP chatter at the D or SG base city scape etc.

And yes even soloing is deemed a filler activity, though likely the most contested of all of them as those who prefer solo even on MMO, tend to chafe at being told what they represent to the community by being a pure solo player  is someone who may as well not be playing at all.

• Confused 13

1 hour ago, Darkneblade said:

When I'm minding my own business some kinetics shows up to buff me.

Everytime...

Everytime I see kinetics I avoid them now. (Now electric affinity as well)

I don't even go mission now why are you buffing lol.

It is especially apparent on atlas park so I avoid that place now too.

If I buff you (usually sonic shields), it's because I'm trying to find a color pattern between the 2 shields that looks cool. Don't take it personal. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general. The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content. Farming, grinding, doing chores like selling or cleaning up ones storage, are all seen as non play, filler activities people do when not actually playing the game.

Even RPing is considered one of those filler activities in the wider MMO world, and CoH has always had a pretty atypically high RP scene, yet its still not really playing the game when we are having hours of interesting RP chatter at the D or SG base city scape etc.

And yes even soloing is deemed a filler activity, though likely the most contested of all of them as those who prefer solo even on MMO, tend to chafe at being told what they represent to the community by being a pure solo player  is someone who may as well not be playing at all.

You're over-stating the prevalence of that point of view, I suspect.  Saying that damned-near ANYTHING is believed by "MMO gamers in general" is pushing it, BB. "MMO gamers in general" would have a flame war over rather or not the sky is blue, much less over what constitutes the 'proper' way to play either a specific game or games in general. 

I'd also say, just as a personal opinion, that the ones who believe any of that bull are dead wrong. And I'm not in any way "unfamiliar with MMO culture". You're taking the opinions of a certain, highly socially-focused (and yes, often vocal-) subset of MMO players as the majority point of view. How much it reflects reality is questionable.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

19 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I dont disagree with this, people can play as they like.

What confuses me are the people who spend an hour spamming "lf Ae" every few mins. 

You could have joined a regular team and earned a level or two instead of standing around bleating for AE teams.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general.

I am familiar with MMO culture, thank you.  The farm map itself exists in the game world and someone is playing it to clear the map, so the game is being played.  They are clearing maps, collecting XP and drops just like any other story content mission.

I can understand and appreciate some people do not care for this and prefer to run story content which is perfectly fine.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

I dont disagree with this, people can play as they like.

What confuses me are the people who spend an hour spamming "lf Ae" every few mins. 

You could have joined a regular team and earned a level or two instead of standing around bleating for AE teams.

Same here, but if that is how they want to spend their time, more power to them. 

28 minutes ago, parabola said:

I don't entirely disagree but doorsitting in someone else's farm is stretching it a little. Mind you people can get their kicks where they like; it's the lfg spam looking for farms to doorsit in that annoys me.

That is completely fine and there is nothing wrong with getting annoyed.   I personally do not mind it as I understand there are a lot of people out there leveling up alts this way.

I was going to chime in on the LFG thing, but I think you guys covered it enough.

I suppose the biggest thing to push my buttons is similar to Bentley's regarding the people who "suggest" a change to the game. I'm all for discussion on how to move things forward, but only if it's for the greater good of the community (like nerf regen... jk). If a person wants to change implemented solely because they don't like it or it doesn't fit in their view of how the universe should please them, then I view it as simply selfish and inconsiderate. A lot of people take it for granted that it's a miracle we can even play this game at all.

@Hexquisite. Can I just say that your name is simply AWESOME. 😃

• Like 1

When people insist on waiting on the entire group to be ready on easy content to the extent that a level 54 PI radio team would spend 50% of its time sitting around if you didn’t personally step up and run in first. Squishies shouldn’t run into melee first, ideally, but sometimes it’s that or go make a pot of coffee while the tank/brute makes up his mind.

• Like 2

Ahh, Things that annoy me, where to begin...

1. People spamming LFG chat with "LF fire farm to door-sit!" or anything related to farming in LFG.
  2. "Can Someone post the teleport platform macro?" *3 people spam the chat with the whole macro string*
  3. General chat, in general.
  4. "Heroic" looking characters in Villain zones. Bank robberies with heroes just aren't as satisfying.
  5. People who use the base TP exploit to escape death in PvP
  6. Team lead setting missions to low difficulty setting for the whole arc, e.g. +2/6, when the team is clearly capable of higher difficulty and is clearing all.
  • Like 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

CoX is a cooperative game with no final score. It's designed to be friendly to casual gamers and to accommodate many different playstyles. We've had an influx of new players in the past few months.

As I see it, the only way to fail at a cooperative game with no final score is to be uncooperative. My only real pet peeve is hostility to other players, including sharp criticism of the way others play. Advice is welcome and important, but try to keep it gentle!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

To be fair the final team composition may have altered what character they felt like using. For example when I am building a TF team on a stalker, but get lots of blasters, Ill be like brb guys I need to get my blaster now so we can play a real game of who is the better blaster.

I hear you, but if I see the team loading up with a skewed composition, I'd generally type something in team, or a tell to the leader, saying "Hm... we're a little light on damage.  Want me to grab my Blaster?"  or   "erm... we'll want some support for this TF... should I grab my Mind/Kin, or you prefer to go as-is?".

I wouldn't just haul off and switch characters and expect a re-invite without clearing it with the team leader. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Six Six said:

@Hexquisite. Can I just say that your name is simply AWESOME. 😃

Aww, thank you! This is definitely NOT a pet peeve of mine - people complimenting me on my name, look, or bio in game. Never apologize for interrupting anything when you send that tell. ^_^

The LFG spam doesn't bother me, cause I can just ignore LFG. Until it ceases to be in LFG. When you're spamming General, Help, Local, Broadcast, etc, with 'lvl12 Scrapper lfg,' that's when I get annoyed. When you keep doing it after people point you to the correct channel, I get peeved. This really applies to anyone who spams any channel with anything, even when it's appropriate to the channel. It's a bit different when there's no active discussion going on in said channel, but when there is, and it keeps getting interrupted by people announcing a Mothership Raid or This Specific Club is Open Tonight, that's really annoying.

And since other people brought the thing I wouldn't bring up earlier, I guess I can too. AE powerleveling. I know, and agree, that farming is a legit way to play, even if it's not one I prefer. No issue with that. I also agree that powerleveling a character through an AE farm is . . . no, I can't say that's fine, because I honestly don't believe it. How is that fun for you?! I've tried for months to understand, and I just can't wrap my head around it! As much as the repetitive DFB -> Radios -> PI Council Teams method of quick leveling some people use annoys me, and the very thought of it bores me to try, at least they are actively engaged in content. Sitting on someone else's farm. . . I mean, I shouldn't let this annoy me. But it does. Because I simply do not understand that mindset. I like to earn my levels, get that feeling of accomplishment when I see that bright golden flash. . . how do you build the character's story by sitting in a farm for fifty levels? How?!

I don't get it. And I think it's the not getting it that annoys me, and makes this into a peeve.

Of course, I also don't understand why people sit and watch other people play sports, so. . .

8 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Okay, I was mostly with you until this bit here. By this reasoning, I spent a grand total of about eight hours actually playing during the six years I was on live. It means I've spent maybe ten hours playing Guild Wars 2, and despite a year and a half on SWToR, I've never actually played it for a single minute.

Which, I suppose, is another pet peeve of mine, albeit one that I don't encounter often. People who deride solo play. I don't mind teaming, especially in CoH, but most of the time, I don't want to deal with people. In most MMOs, this is because most people are asshats. On CoH, it may be that I'm just not feeling social, or would prefer to experience the story in a mission arc than simply steamroll through it, or don't want to deal with people having to drop out after a few missions and then finding replacements for them. But regardless of the reason, I am a soloist at heart.

ALSO! Boys, do not go around emote-slapping female toon's asses! It's rude, it's sexist, it's downright creepy, and you are not being funny. You are being reported, however.

Edit to add: Or anyone’s ass, regardless of gender. Ass-slapping should be consensual between all parties.

Edited by Hexquisite
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Wow......

Don't even know what to say to that.

A person can prefer to Solo or Team, and are still Part of the same Community that has members who believe it is their place to tell them they are not welcome. I thought we were above this Elitist garbage. "Everyone can play how they like" has always been a Motto of this game, and is part of what makes it special.

I solo a lot, not by choice, I play early in the morning when few people are available, but if I'm not welcome here, and should not be bothering to play, you'll be sure to let me know, right? Typical MMO culture does not apply to CoH, never has.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 8

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Then you are using different definitions than I would use. 

And I'd be curious to see hard data on what the "wider MMO culture" thinks and why you believe that it is so, and not just your opinion/impression.

to me, If you're logged into the game at all?  You're playing the game.

Now there are parts of the game I consider more fun than not. There's parts of the games I really wonder why they were added.  There's parts of the game I don't understand why anyone enjoys.  But if your character can do it?  It's playing the game.

And frankly, if someone thinks a pure solo player is someone who may as well not be playing at all.... they can bite me. 

If I feel like soloing, I will solo.  No one is "owed" X many people who are willing to group with them, and I have zero obligation to group with anyone else.  I often will.  But that is choice. 

If other people don't like it, that's their problem, start to finish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2