Some things players do that annoy you?

1 hour ago, Hexquisite said:

ALSO! Boys, do not go around emote-slapping female toon's asses! It's rude, it's sexist, it's downright creepy, and you are not being funny. You are being reported, however.

That's a thing?  Yeesh.

"We could use a healer," "Healer LFG," "Great heals," ad nauseum

I mean I get that it's just another term for support, but what gets me is complimenting healing. The need for 'skilled' healing is pretty rare and almost always the result of someone's mistake (only exception I can think of off the top of my head is tanking Recluse). 

I will never understand someone who says "great heals" as the group is just steamrolling along without incident.  Did you not notice you weren't actually losing health? Or that you were never in danger of dying? Or that tossing out Transfusion every so often isn't exactly brain surgery?  It wouldn't be so irritating if it wasn't so common.  Feel like I see it a lot more than appreciation for buffs not named Speed Boost.  

I am not even super partial to support focused ATs anyway, but come on this isn't WoW or FFXIV or any other holy trinity MMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The one type of buff I will compliment people for using on low-to-midlevel teams?

Status protection buffs.  Clear Mind, Increase Density, etc. 

I don't harp on it again and again throughout the team.  Once is enough.

But I do want to provide positive reinforcement anytime I see someone taking time and trouble to make sure their teamates wtihout status protection are covered.

And particularly on low level teams, I want to reinforce what I view as good habits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content.

Objectively incorrect.

• Thanks 4

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

I try to have a very thick skin and let people play their characters the way they want.  On a pickup team I am probably going to be on a melee heavy, so little they choose to do is going to affect me that badly. 

I did however make the mistake -- once! -- of choosing Banished Pantheon pets for characterization purposes on a lore pet choice.  There are several choices there -- BP is the most popular, but Longbow and others are just as annoying -- that IMO should not be chosen.  Size matters.  And not in the way you think. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

21 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I did however make the mistake -- once! -- of choosing Banished Pantheon pets for characterization purposes on a lore pet choice.  There are several choices there -- BP is the most popular, but Longbow and others are just as annoying -- that IMO should not be chosen.  Size matters.  And not in the way you think. 

For this reason, my Mind/Kin uses Polar Lights for lore pets.

• Still very fitting for a "magic" themed character.
  • Not obnoxiously huge / doesn't block field of vision
  • Decent AE
  • not something that looks like evil or destruction personified. Just floating spheres of light.

People arguing about what is or is not considered "playing the game".    Just kidding, I couldn't care less.

Put me firmly in the column with the others that have listed "Healers" as their biggest pet-peeve.

After reading the thread, a close second pet-peeve is people complaining about other players soloing content  or role playing in an MMORPG. I solo quite a bit of content in multi-player games because I like to experience the content at my own speed. Back when I had subs to these games my general response was "You can tell me how to play, when you start paying my sub."

• Like 6

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Unfunny creepy sexist rudeness.  Duh!

This reminds me of the epic threads over on the STO forums about Disco balls causing a player avatar to dance.  People were actually equating that to real life physical assault.  True story.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

And since other people brought the thing I wouldn't bring up earlier, I guess I can too. AE powerleveling. I know, and agree, that farming is a legit way to play, even if it's not one I prefer. No issue with that. I also agree that powerleveling a character through an AE farm is . . . no, I can't say that's fine, because I honestly don't believe it. How is that fun for you?! I've tried for months to understand, and I just can't wrap my head around it! As much as the repetitive DFB -> Radios -> PI Council Teams method of quick leveling some people use annoys me, and the very thought of it bores me to try, at least they are actively engaged in content. Sitting on someone else's farm. . . I mean, I shouldn't let this annoy me. But it does. Because I simply do not understand that mindset. I like to earn my levels, get that feeling of accomplishment when I see that bright golden flash. . . how do you build the character's story by sitting in a farm for fifty levels? How?!

I don't get it. And I think it's the not getting it that annoys me, and makes this into a peeve.

Maybe I can help here... 

That low-level "content" that you still love running? Some of us have done it so many times at this point that the whole idea of doing it again feels exactly as mind-numbingly boring to us as fire-farm door-sitting feels to you.  Skipping past it is not seen as any kind of loss because it just IS NOT FUN anymore. Would you be willing to waste your limited amount of play time doing something that was the exact opposite of fun? I suspect not. 

Some people just enjoy playing "finished" characters a lot more than they enjoy leveling incomplete ones. 

Not everyone playing this game is a roleplayer or someone who's interested in "building a character's story". They just want to play a game. Others may have a firm idea of who that character is right out of the gate. They don't need 50 levels to figure it out. 

And, for what it's worth, not all of us who short-cut characters past the drudge-levels do it by door-sitting someone ELSE'S farm. Quite a few of us have more than one account and park our lowbies in missions with our own farmers. You don't see us spamming LFG, so its easy to miss that we exist.  So, while our lowbies may be passive, we're still out there playing around and having fun with our farmers in the meantime. (And yes. Believe it or not, some of us really, really DO enjoy running farm maps. You probably don't "get" that either, but that doesn't make it any less true.)

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general. The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content. Farming, grinding, doing chores like selling or cleaning up ones storage, are all seen as non play, filler activities people do when not actually playing the game.

Even RPing is considered one of those filler activities in the wider MMO world, and CoH has always had a pretty atypically high RP scene, yet its still not really playing the game when we are having hours of interesting RP chatter at the D or SG base city scape etc.

And yes even soloing is deemed a filler activity, though likely the most contested of all of them as those who prefer solo even on MMO, tend to chafe at being told what they represent to the community by being a pure solo player  is someone who may as well not be playing at all.

Wider MMO Culture? What the heck is that? Is that a thing? 

When I got CoH back in issue 3, I'd never heard of an MMO, didn't know what it was. I just thought the game had millions of players. Had no idea that other people would be controlling avatars and playing in the same instance I was. I have never considered CoH to be an MMO because you could play the game just fine without teaming. 
I don't mind teaming, per se, but I intensely dislike waiting for people to join when I'm recruiting. After a couple of minutes, it really irks me because I could have finished most missions in that time. 

Just my opinion, but MMO culture doesn't define the CoH player base, because, particularly with HC's version - it's NOT an MMO. Nothing massively about this game. There never has been. 

Now that I've said that - Crafting, Converting, Selling, SG Building -- that's all legit game play. You may not think so - but you'd be mistaken. It may not be productive in gaining xp, but the better parts of this game have nothing to do with XP, particularly when many have already gotten to 50+3 with dozens of characters. However one chooses to spend their time - it's all legit. 

Even if they are getting on my irrational nerves. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general. The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content. Farming, grinding, doing chores like selling or cleaning up ones storage, are all seen as non play, filler activities people do when not actually playing the game.

Sorry, but neither you, the "wider MMO culture", nor "MMO gamers in general" get to define my playtime.

P.S.  I think I found my pet peeve!

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

To be honest, to echo my thought, just in general enormous/massive characters annoy me. Now I'm not by any means asking for it to be changed or trying to enforce my opinion on it on others, it's just that it is very annoying to get into many doors/spaces in general. The Behemoth CoT are a great example of an NPC I find exceptionally annoying to maneuver around, but there are lots of characters that just block up entire pathways to doors (in Tin Mage 2nd mission corridor after RWZ meeting scene). 

Now I know someone will say "well this is my character and my creativity" and I fully understand how my personal annoyance against it infringes on the creativity and the game itself on others, thus I will never ask or be "that person" who tells people how to play and make their characters. I fully accept this is one of those "you just have to deal with it" situations.  I even recognize the solutions to this create more problems than the problem itself exists to solve. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Maybe I can help here... 

That low-level "content" that you still love running? Some of us have done it so many times at this point that the whole idea of doing it again feels exactly as mind-numbingly boring to us as fire-farm door-sitting feels to you.  Skipping past it is not seen as any kind of loss because it just IS NOT FUN anymore. Would you be willing to waste your limited amount of play time doing something that was the exact opposite of fun? I suspect not. 

Some people just enjoy playing "finished" characters a lot more than they enjoy leveling incomplete ones. 

Not everyone playing this game is a roleplayer or someone who's interested in "building a character's story". They just want to play a game.

And, for what it's worth, not all of us who short-cut characters past the drudge-levels do it by door-sitting someone ELSE'S farm. Quite a few of us have more than one account and park our lowbies in missions with our own farmers. Those lowbies may be passive, but we're still out there having fun with our farmers in the meantime. (And yes. Believe it or not, some of us really, really DO enjoy running farm maps. You probably don't "get" that either, but that doesn't make it any less true.)

I'm totally cool with all that, but would like to point out that some/many/most? people who are PLing are doing the same level 50 content over and over again, which is also mind-numbingly boring.  I suspect that the difference in attitude is primarily that the rewards in terms of inf and drops are much better at 50 than at 15.  Just my opinion and not meant to disparage anything or anyone who disagrees!

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

28 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Maybe I can help here... 

I do not believe it is purely a function of "I've run it so many more times than you, so I'm DONE with it"

I've run that low level content .... a lot.  A lot a lot a lot.  More times than you?  Maybe, maybe not.  Over 60 times for sure.  Possibly a hundred.  I still find it fun.  It's the start of my new characters journey.  I would consider myself robbed if I leveled too far past it too fast, even knowing that Ouro exists, and I have no hesistation disabling XP if I get a group invite on a character I'm not ready to level up too fast yet.

I do accept that it's boring as hell if what you care about is playing a max level character.

I would call the difference a matter of whether or not the PLAYER is a story-driven player, but, that's probably not exactly right either. 

Hard to get exact words for some things that are just internal "I like X" "Y is boring" internal preferences.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm totally cool with all that, but would like to point out that some/many/most? people who are PLing are doing the same level 50 content over and over again, which is also mind-numbingly boring.  I suspect that the difference in attitude is primarily that the rewards in terms of inf and drops are much better at 50 than at 15.  Just my opinion and not meant to disparage anything or anyone who disagrees!

That's where you get into the types who like playing finished characters more than unfinished ones, I think. Not being able to hit the broad side of a barn just gets OLD. And it's nice not to have constant END issues. For myself, I know that's the case.

So, even though I've probably done Unai's arc a hundred times now, and the gaming gods only know how many iTrials... I still find them a whole lot more enjoyable play-wise than re-running any of the low-level arcs. o_0

And not EVERYTHING is economic. I don't care what the content rewards are. I have a farmer. That means I don't HAVE to care that running at 50 gets any other character X-INF while running at 20 would get them X-Y. For other people? Maybe it matters more. They'd have to tell you themselves.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I do not believe it is purely a function of "I've run it so many more times than you, so I'm DONE with it"

I've run that low level content .... a lot.  A lot a lot a lot.  More times than you?  Maybe, maybe not.  Over 60 times for sure.  Possibly a hundred.  I still find it fun.  It's the start of my new characters journey.  I would consider myself robbed if I leveled too far past it too fast, even knowing that Ouro exists, and I have no hesistation disabling XP if I get a group invite on a character I'm not ready to level up too fast yet.

I do accept that it's boring as hell if what you care about is playing a max level character.

I would call the difference a matter of whether or not the PLAYER is a story-driven player, but, that's probably not exactly right either. 

Hard to get exact words for some things that are just internal "I like X" "Y is boring" internal preferences.

I only have 35 characters here on Homecoming...

I've had well over a hundred more between the Live servers and Paragon...

I mean, you can certainly choose not to believe me when I say I'd rather never make another alt than run the lowbie drudge-trudge ever again... But that doesn't make it untrue.

I don't play exclusively at 50+ by any means... The 32+ game is still fun, and I run my support characters exemped with mid-level teams the majority of the time. I've just come to really, really dislike the low levels and dropping a new alt into a fire farm with Harry is my solution to that issue.

Anyway, hopefully hearing from someone who does short-cut their characters out  of lowbieville has helped you guys see where at least some of us are coming from. You aren't required to like it or agree with it, but maybe it'll be less of a complete mystery to you now.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sailboat said:

That's a thing?  Yeesh.

I did this quite by accident to Valkyrie.   We were running positron. In between missions I went over to train up my character. Unfortunately, there was a Rikti raid going on at the time and she was in the middle of a gaggle fighting it out alongside Positron.  Several of us made comments about “how dare she defend the city!” And so on.  Then off we went. When we returned later on to train up, I slapped her and said “that’s for not being there to train me at my convenience!” 

It probably would have been funny except that my character was so short compared to her that he only came up to about her waist, resulting in...well, you get the idea.

Needless to say it didn’t look very good...

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

59 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

First, apologies if what I said came across wrong. My biggest pet peeve in ANY game is people claiming there’s a “right way” to play. I wasn’t trying to imply that, merely express that I don’t understand that particular method. And I get annoyed when I can understand something. Any way people choose to play is the right way, provided they aren’t intentionally being an ass to other players. 

I’ve run it hundreds of times. For me, it doesn’t take long, and it’s important to the beginning of a characters story. Some of it is drudgery, but that’s where the story comes in. I like to see how the character reacts to these situations. Will they be the type of kill Aaron Thierry, or are they the type to arrest him and let him live with what he’s done? Will they prefer to work with Burke the Merc, or allow themselves to be a pawn of Arachnos? I can’t get into a character if I can’t feel their personality, and to feel their personality, I need to run them through story content.

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

Not everyone playing this game is a roleplayer or someone who's interested in "building a character's story". They just want to play a game. Others may have a firm idea of who that character is right out of the gate. They don't need 50 levels to figure it out.

I can understand that. I just -personally- can’t see how those characters can be considered finished. But, that is entirely a matter of perception. I know plenty of players who have fully developed characters that were power leveled through AE. I don’t know how they manage it, but they do. It simply isn’t how my brain works.

Not wanting to build a characters story is another thing my brain can’t quite grasp, because my brain just does it without my prompting. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I even realized not everyone had a narrative running through their heads as they played. 

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

And, for what it's worth, not all of us who short-cut characters past the drudge-levels do it by door-sitting someone ELSE'S farm. Quite a few of us have more than one account and park our lowbies in missions with our own farmers. You don't see us spamming LFG, so its easy to miss that we exist.  So, while our lowbies may be passive, we're still out there playing around and having fun with our farmers in the meantime. (And yes. Believe it or not, some of us really, really DO enjoy running farm maps. You probably don't "get" that either, but that doesn't make it any less true.)

See, this doesn’t cause my peeve to flare up. You are still doing the work. Still actively playing the game. So, don’t have so much an “issue” with that. 

And I do get it. Sometimes, I like spending hours crafting and buying and flipping enhancements. It’s mindless, almost zen-like, and sometimes exactly what I need after a long day. I can see farming being the same kind of thing. 

Again, I never meant to imply it was wrong. Pet peeves don’t have to make sense, and they don’t need to be logical. I don’t intend to shame anyone for power leveling through farms, so if it came across that way, I apologize. If it makes you happy, then I’m all for it. I just politely turn down invites to join a farm, and happily go run story content. 

I just don’t get it. But like I said before, I don’t get why people enjoy watching other people play sports. I also don’t get algebra. There are a lot of things I don’t get in this world. That doesn’t mean I think they’re wrong, or don’t accept them.

Just a pet peeve, and one that ranks below fire farmers who don’t turn off the shooting spikes and fiery pulse when outside the farm, masterminds who ALWAYS have all of their pets out, and people I don’t know who send me group invites without asking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

And I do get it. Sometimes, I like spending hours crafting and buying and flipping enhancements. It’s mindless, almost zen-like, and sometimes exactly what I need after a long day. I can see farming being the same kind of thing. 

It is a very zen kind of thing... also pretty darn good stress-relief. XD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailboat said:

That's a thing?  Yeesh.

Thankfully uncommon, but common enough that I felt it worth bringing up. Sometimes it a friend trying to be funny, and I can shut it down quickly. More often, it’s someone I don’t know, and it’s harder to make them stop.

People are lucky I can’t punch them through the Internet. 

Yet.