Some things players do that annoy you?

Just now, Hexquisite said:

Thankfully uncommon, but common enough that I felt it worth bringing up. Sometimes it a friend trying to be funny, and I can shut it down quickly. More often, it’s someone I don’t know, and it’s harder to make them stop.

People are lucky I can’t punch them through the Internet. 

Yet.

Now that would be an awesome superpower  🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

This reminds me of the epic threads over on the STO forums about Disco balls causing a player avatar to dance.  People were actually equating that to real life physical assault.  True story.

If you think these are even remotely the same thing you are really missing the point.  Please go back to your dudebro cave.

• Like 1

People who insist on butting into other people's conversation to tell them they're using the wrong channel.  That REALLY irks me!  What kind of self righteous jack*** feels so self important that they think they take in on themselves to be the self appointed police of game's chat channel?  I get it if people are fighting, or being vulgar... but if they're joking around and heaven forbid "having fun?"  Isn't that why we're here?  To have fun?  They'll probably stop on their own in 30 seconds, anyway... just let it go.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Team leaders who will wait around forever for a team to fill even though we have a balanced team that is entirely capable of completing the content.

And on a more petty note, people who insist on "leading" but don't use reveal and constantly go the wrong way and everybody follows them, then we have to backtrack.  At least make sure the floor is clear before you head to the elevator on a defeat all.

19 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

People who insist on butting into other people's conversation to tell them they're using the wrong channel.  That REALLY irks me!  What kind of self righteous jack*** feels so self important that they think they take in on themselves to be the self appointed police of game's chat channel?  I get it if people are fighting, or being vulgar... but if they're joking around and heaven forbid "having fun?"  Isn't that why we're here?  To have fun?  They'll probably stop on their own in 30 seconds, anyway... just let it go.

Wrong channel, Shred. Move along.

• Haha 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

My peeves

• the existence of EnterBaseFromPasscode
  • any question along the lines of "What's the Best powerset choice?"  or  "What power should I choose for X?"
  • Lvl 50's who literally don't know what zones connect to what zones.

I do not expect any of these will ever go away. They're really 'me' issues more than anything else. 

But they're there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

My peeves

• the existence of EnterBaseFromPasscode
  • any question along the lines of "What's the Best powerset choice?"  or  "What power should I choose for X?"
  • Lvl 50's who literally don't know what zones connect to what zones.

I do not expect any of these will ever go away. They're really 'me' issues more than anything else. 

But they're there.

I’ve been playing since City of Villains went live, and I still don’t know what zones connect to what zones. 

I am notoriously bad at maps. This has turned into a running gag on one character, who will frequently post to SuperGroup chat the simple message, “. . .I got lost. . .” 

• Like 1

When people get upset about chatting in Help, LFG, etc but think that LFG chat in General is fine. Yes general chat is for anything, but you have an entire channel JUST for that.

And really it doesn't bother me that much until someone complains about the chatting in those chat channels.

I could go on but I already had this argument in chat so I'm not going to go into it more.

That's just my peeve, whether it's right or wrong it bugs me...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darkneblade said:

When I'm minding my own business some kinetics shows up to buff me.

Everytime...

Everytime I see kinetics I avoid them now. (Now electric affinity as well)

Whats the issue exactly? 

If its speed boost +run effect, that can be turned off.  Rest of Kinetic turns you into a God.

Electric affinity, very good buffs if short.  The zapping effects and animations are annoying though.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

21 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Whats the issue exactly? 

If its speed boost +run effect, that can be turned off.  Rest of Kinetic turns you into a God.

Electric affinity, very good buffs if short.  The zapping effects and animations are annoying though.

Speaking for myself at least, the random buffs are a minor annoyance when the buff in question clashes with the costume or characters theme. It may sound narcissistic of me, but I prefer to see my character without a bright glowing purple/green/blue aura, or encased in ice.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

31 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Whats the issue exactly? 

If I’m on a team with them, then by all means, buff me up. 

But if I am, like @Darknebladesaid, minding my own business, or engaged in active RP in a public area, and someone just starts throwing buffs around... that’s just rude. And serves no purpose. I’m not in combat, they aren’t in combat, nobody is in combat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm no its not, you maybe are unfamiliar with wider MMO culture, but farming is not deemed playing by MMO gamers in general. The only time one is playing in MMO is when they are actively engaging with the community while also working through story based content. Farming, grinding, doing chores like selling or cleaning up ones storage, are all seen as non play, filler activities people do when not actually playing the game.

Even RPing is considered one of those filler activities in the wider MMO world, and CoH has always had a pretty atypically high RP scene, yet its still not really playing the game when we are having hours of interesting RP chatter at the D or SG base city scape etc.

And yes even soloing is deemed a filler activity, though likely the most contested of all of them as those who prefer solo even on MMO, tend to chafe at being told what they represent to the community by being a pure solo player  is someone who may as well not be playing at all.

That's an awfully high horse to be riding around on.

Without the drops from people farming and marketeering, people would find it significantly more difficult to "actively engage with the community while also work through story based content."

As for soloing, I solo the vast majority of the time.  Because I want to.  I know some people find this difficult to believe because I actively lead raids, but I'm an introvert.  A pretty extreme one, as a matter of fact.  I find dealing with people, even online, absolutely exhausting.  The only reason why I lead raids is because I want to do the raid and feel that I need to lead in order to make it happen.  No one else would lead Rikti mothership raids on the Champion server after the prior Rikti mothership raid organizer stopped.  I was the first person to step up to lead Rikti mothership raids on the Exalted server.  People keep forming zone MSRs on the Excelsior server in a way that directly results in the league bug which cuts a lot of people out of Vanguard merits, (including myself most of the time).  Now it's because no one else will run the instanced Rikti mothership raid trial.

So, in my downtime, I do my game related socializing by posting on the forums, playing TFs/SFs/Trials with friends, and running Rikti mothership raids.  The rest of the time, I solo missions.  Because I love City of Heroes and its lore, and I want to experience the story content on my own time without feeling rushed, and to recharge my battery so I can play TFs/SFS/Trials with friends and lead raids.

If that's not playing the game, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 7

People on LFG asking for AT and powersets in order to join their PI radio team.  We know you are probably doing nothing but beating up council, any team of 8 can take out groups of council in a blink of an eye at that level no matter what AT and powersets they have.  

I mean it is their team and "they can do whatever they want with it" and all, but I make it a habit to never join those teams no matter what character I'm playing.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Nemu said:

People that enter the mission and start smashing without waiting for the rest of the team. I'm all for efficiency but there is something to be said about common courtesy. You can wait 30 seconds before you get your smash on so that everyone can get xp.

This one puzzles me when I see it brought up. Why is it alright for 7 persons to not be getting XP so that 1 person can? The reasoning seems weird to me, especially as them being late is because they decided to go level or buy IOs or not pick up a travel power. It was their choice to do any of these things. It is not as if mobs are finite. Next mission there they will be again so the person late to the mission immediately starts receiving XP the moment they enter.

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Unfunny creepy sexist rudeness.  Duh!

Yes, I can imagine the report, 'Their pixels were pretending to be able to touch my pixels!'.

2020! \o/

Anyway, mini pet peeves. Super minor and I rarely ever voice them but since we are all airing them...!

- 'Anyone farming that I can door sit in? 🙂 🙂' AKA 'can you please play the game for me?'. When I can be bothered I mention they ought to level a second account to do it to themselves. But I suppose that would mean them playing the game instead of others doing it for them?

- 'Level X LFG'. Repeated.. over... 10-15 minutes... Rarely picked up because people don't know what the level X LFGer is interested. I had an interesting moment where I was spamming for more people to run a Manticore and our messages were overlapping. I had 'LF5M to run Manticore, levels 30+ and it takes about an hour' and they had 'Level 30 X LFG'. This kept going until I was down to only one spot left and my team asking me why didn't I invite the one LFG and I was 'they are seeing my message, they are not asking to join, so they are not interested'. Turns out they were 😄

- 'I hate leading lol'. Er... Leading is clicking on contact, get a mission. That's... that's all the leading involved. Forming a team? 'LFM to do X' That's it. No talking involved, no choices. Just spam the same message and then click on the name of people interested and click on invite.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 3

"Sorry, SG calling, got to go."  Always on the first mission of a task force.  Usually right after they die, or when they figure out that the ITF explicitly advertised as a kill most is not a speed run.  Sometimes on a lower level task force when they figure out there isn't a tricked-out level 50 Brute to pretty much solo the TF for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

This one puzzles me when I see it brought up. Why is it alright for 7 persons to not be getting XP so that 1 person can?

Your examples are the other extreme that I'm discounting in my comment about common courtesy. Of course we are not going to wait for the dude that decides to go level and go to his base and IO himself for 10 minutes, and if a player chose not to get a travel power and decide to sprint to every mission, sucks to be that player. However, 30 seconds is not all that long of a wait and that's usually the time frame gap for most people with slower travel powers to reach the mission.

The scenario I'm talking about are the ones where people that can't even accord their teammates that little bit of time to zone in before they go full lol melee.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

3 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

If you think these are even remotely the same thing you are really missing the point.  Please go back to your dudebro cave.

Actually, it is very similar.  I can believe someone getting annoyed over another player using an emote, but actually reporting them over it as if it is an actionable offense? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eva Destruction said:

"Sorry, SG calling, got to go."  Always on the first mission of a task force.  Usually right after they die, or when they figure out that the ITF explicitly advertised as a kill most is not a speed run.  Sometimes on a lower level task force when they figure out there isn't a tricked-out level 50 Brute to pretty much solo the TF for them.

I get that a lot when trying to form a Strike Force red side.  I'll advertise in LFG: "Silver Mantis SF forming!  Level 20+ in Sharkhead Isle."  Someone almost invariably then sends me a tell, "I'd like to join.  How do I get to Sharkhead Isle?"  Simply asking that tells me that the person is playing blue side.  I'll reply: "Great!  Head on over to Pocket D, and look for a seagull on top of a box truck.  It's on the red side of Pocket D.  Ask him to make you a Vigilante or Rogue.  Then take the door to Sharkhead Isle."

I either get a tell a few minutes later: "Sorry, my SG is calling.  I have to go help them.  Bye."  or I don't hear back from them at all. :D

Happens I'd say about 80% of the time I try to form a Strike Force.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My pet peeves:

1)People complaining about relatively benign or rare circumstances.  Sometimes human nature sucks, but for the most part, people are cool.

2)Spamming chat with garbage.  Fortunately we have an ignore button and can report abusers. (See 1)

3)Impatient players.   Patience is a virtue.  

4)Know-it-alls.  This can come in many forms, from 'I represent the majority of the player base' to 'you should take such and such power or you suck'.  Pardon my language but F#$@ You.

5)Forum trolls.  It's one thing to post something stupid.  I've done so myself and fealt ashamed enough to avoid the forums for a couple weeks.  It's another to come looking for disruption and confrontation.  Pro-tip: Don't post when you're drunk.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1