Some things players do that annoy you?

28 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Actually, it is very similar.  I can believe someone getting annoyed over another player using an emote, but actually reporting them over it as if it is an actionable offense? 

When they come up to you, and are shorter than you, or you're higher up, so that the slap is specifically against your toon's ass, it's rude, creepy, and objectifying. When they continue to do it after you ask them to stop, it's harassment. This is often accompanied by crude and objectifying language, and if someone can't understand why this is an offense I feel should be reported, then I don't know how to explain it to them.

I don't tolerate it in real life, and I won't tolerate it in a game, even if the ass and the slapping hand are 'just pixels'.

1 minute ago, Hexquisite said:

When they come up to you, and are shorter than you, or you're higher up, so that the slap is specifically against your toon's ass, it's rude, creepy, and objectifying. When they continue to do it after you ask them to stop, it's harassment. This is often accompanied by crude and objectifying language, and if someone can't understand why this is an offense I feel should be reported, then I don't know how to explain it to them.

I don't tolerate it in real life, and I won't tolerate it in a game, even if the ass and the slapping hand are 'just pixels'.

Someone using crude language I can totally understand and should get reported.  Just using the smack emote is harassment though?  I personally do not see it.  Were it me, I would /e slap them back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

"Sorry, SG calling, got to go."  Always on the first mission of a task force.  Usually right after they die, or when they figure out that the ITF explicitly advertised as a kill most is not a speed run.  Sometimes on a lower level task force when they figure out there isn't a tricked-out level 50 Brute to pretty much solo the TF for them.

No worries, Eva. People like us can carry the spot.

Edited by Myrmidon

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Attempting to force min/max playstyles on other players.

I love min/maxing myself but it's pressuring it on others that sucks this attitude killed Classic WoW for me, people chased 'what is best' over 'what is fun'. Always what is best to the extreme degree so many things turn out just generic and expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm totally cool with all that, but would like to point out that some/many/most? people who are PLing are doing the same level 50 content over and over again, which is also mind-numbingly boring.  I suspect that the difference in attitude is primarily that the rewards in terms of inf and drops are much better at 50 than at 15.  Just my opinion and not meant to disparage anything or anyone who disagrees!

Can't speak for others who do the same, but at least for me, dual-boxing my alts is about streamlining the execution of a build moreso than the inf/drops.  Sure, it's nice to have resources coming in while I go about it, but if accumulating inf was my goal, there are much faster ways to do that than farming.  And once that alt steps out of AE, I can always exemp down into content I've skipped, or wiggle around in flashbacks if the urge strikes me, though admittedly, the urge has not struck me yet.

Now, I don't begrudge people who enjoy the grind (such as it were) of playing through content, but to me it's like sitting down on the couch and watching all 9 Star Wars movies, then racing over to the recliner to watch them again... except in HC, it's like settling in for that marathon when you know you're on the second notice from the electric company and they could cut you off at any moment.  Running around in a sewer with 0 end while something is trying very hard to puke on you might be someone else's ideal position to be in when the lights go out, but it's not for me.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

It's not a long list and pretty much analogous to my RL pet peeves:

1. People sharing incorrect information about the game's mechanics / something else and refusing to acknowledge they were wrong when it's pointed out.
  2. People who think trolling is funny. Fishing annoyed reactions out of others hasn't been funny since first grade.
  3. People complaining about how others like to play (farming, PLing, speed runs, whatever) when said gameplay isn't an exploit or otherwise violating any rules.
  4. Lack of initiative, e.g. mindlessly spamming LFG for long periods of time rather than starting your own team.
  5. Sense of entitlement: nobody owes you a full build, farm runs or anything else. If you're nice about it, there's a very good chance you'll get what you want, though.
  • Like 4

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

5 hours ago, Latex said:

Attempting to force min/max playstyles on other players.

The whole "you need 45% defence or you won't even make it outside Atlas park" thing that seems to be prevalent in build advice really bothers me. A lot of the advice is totally out of context. It seems to assume that damage resistance has no value, mezzes do not exist, absorb doesn't exist, healing is illegal, debuffs don't do anything, teammates are just door sitters and the only goal of a build should be to just keep upright. 

If you're tanking or mostly play solo, then yes, having 45% defence will benefit you and I'm not questioning that. Having any defence will benefit you. 45% isn't some magic number at which point your character suddenly becomes playable at end-game. Half the time past level 35 you're rocking about +30 to defence from teammates anyway and when you hit the incarnates it spends half its time at the cap.  

It's almost always at the cost of attacks, so +recharge becomes much more important to close gaps in rotations, which causes an extra endurance drain, so you start removing slots from attack powers to give you more endurance... making fights longer and slower. 

I think it's fire-farmer wisdom that has leaked into the core game builds. 

Now, my main is fairly min-maxed and I'm not pretending it's not, however I min-maxed it around the idea that I'll be mostly playing with other people so I can give it a bit of breathing space. I ended up trading out some extra defence for a taunt. Better to be useful to a team than be the last man standing atop a pile of your allies (although one or two casualties helps with TT: Vengeance). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 hours ago, Sovera said:

- 'I hate leading lol'. Er... Leading is clicking on contact, get a mission. That's... that's all the leading involved. Forming a team? 'LFM to do X' That's it. No talking involved, no choices. Just spam the same message and then click on the name of people interested and click on invite.

11 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Controllers/Dominators that love to throw their Immobilizes right before I gather up the mobs. Those are number two, behind the Rad users with no toggles.

These two, IMHO and preference are closely related. Leading is more than just calling the contact. I feel it should be about tactics and strategy. There was one team I was on that I really enjoyed (for the particular reason above). Leader was a Defender; she gathers the group in LFG. Once everyone was there, she asked someone to take the star... primarily because it is basically just calling the contact. Meanwhile she explains what to expect in each mission/door and goes over the general strategy (this one we need a stealthy guy to get to the end and assemble team or this one we hang back behind this corner while tank herds the mob to us, this one we spread out and look for glowies in teams of 2, here are the pairings... etc.) all the while she barely engages in attacks but focuses on making sure no one dies.

I know it's easy to get into a pull-herd-mop up routine, but some missions require different approaches. And even on the aforementioned style of playing, a little heads up to the other team members won't hurt. 

Sorry for going off on a tangent for a second. Back to our regular programming 😃

7 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Someone using crude language I can totally understand and should get reported.  Just using the smack emote is harassment though?  I personally do not see it.  Were it me, I would /e slap them back.

I honestly don't see the difference between crude language and crude emoting.  They both communicate crude intent.  I could ignore one incident, but if someone keeps doing it after I told them to knock it off, yep, it's harrassment.

Best to follow this time-honored maxim instead.

Edited by TheOtherTed
missed a thought
  • Thanks 2

As for things that annoy me, the first are people who not only expect this game to follow the "holy trinity" of MMOs but who are quick to blame "the tank" or "the healer" (or the lack of either) when a team wipes.  Even more frustrating is when the blamer could have helped deal with the situation (a wandering patrol, an unintentional pull), but instead scurried off to "the tank" or "the healer" for protection and effectively brought more chaos with them.

Somewhat related to that are people who just flat-out dismiss any tactical suggestions (even simple ones, like "watch each other's backs").  No "that won't work because of valid reasons," no "let's try this instead," just casual dismissal.  I even had one guy say "ok u power ranger u" for suggesting that a SB-boosted team not run off in 10 directions at once - after which the team promptly ran off in 10 directions at once.

Just to clarify, I'm not the type to bark orders incessantly - rather, if I think I see an issue, or a solution to one, I'll say my piece.  It doesn't happen often - I'd say 80% of teams I've been on were reasonably cohesive from the start, and 80% of the ones that weren't get it together after the first real challenge without any sort of "coaching."

4 hours ago, Six Six said:

I know it's easy to get into a pull-herd-mop up routine, but some missions require different approaches. And even on the aforementioned style of playing, a little heads up to the other team members won't hurt. 

Sorry for going off on a tangent for a second. Back to our regular programming 😃

Oh, good god no, carry on. I prefer actual crowd control tanking to "brute decides to press W". The "immobilisation problem" can usually be resolved very easily by asking then to wait until they're grouped up before firing it off - it's what I do and 95% of players listen to it. 

I genuinely think brutes are one of the worst planned archetypes in the game as their inherent power benefits from and rewards antisocial player practices (damage bonus for keeping up momentum, even if it means leaving players behind).

Who thought "Oh, the kids love scrapperlock, let's make it rewarding"? Who signed off on that? Who said "oh, and let's make them nearly as tough as tankers and give them access to taunts but also reward them if they move into a new group of enemies with more opportunities for Fury generation" in a game with a hard aggro cap?

The amount of times I've seen sidekicked-up corruptors or defenders left to deal with two +4 bosses after the "tank" has pressed W and moved onto the next group, causing the aggro cap to kick in and overflow it onto the debuff archetypes is ridiculous.

Yes, you do get brutes who tank well and are considerate players, but most brutes I see are tanking by default rather than because the wanted to role a tank. I'm not saying corner tanking is the solution to all life's problems, but some acceptance in some players that roles change depending on the group and depending on the mission would be amazing.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 3
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

People that don't want to read a 5 page thread, and bring up something that's already been hashed out 4 pages earlier as if its something new to add.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

3 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

The whole "you need 45% defence or you won't even make it outside Atlas park" thing that seems to be prevalent in build advice really bothers me. A lot of the advice is totally out of context. It seems to assume that damage resistance has no value, mezzes do not exist, absorb doesn't exist, healing is illegal, debuffs don't do anything, teammates are just door sitters and the only goal of a build should be to just keep upright. 

If you're tanking or mostly play solo, then yes, having 45% defence will benefit you and I'm not questioning that. Having any defence will benefit you. 45% isn't some magic number at which point your character suddenly becomes playable at end-game. Half the time past level 35 you're rocking about +30 to defence from teammates anyway and when you hit the incarnates it spends half its time at the cap.  [...]

Amen!  And to dovetail onto that, there was a thread a couple days back where someone was wondering if they should sweat being at 44.5 Def vs. 45.0; to get that extra blip of +Def, folks were recommending the character ditch Kismet +Acc which I believe is questionable advice at best. 

Kismet +Acc is a 6% ToHit buff and that sounds tiny, but if you're swinging at +4's it actually buffs your base ChanceToHit almost 16% (.45 vs .39) and that's before factoring in critter Defense or -ToHit debuffs.  Not every build can fit Tactics slotted to +15% ToHit but every build should be able to slap a Kismet in there somewhere.   It's one of the best single enhancements in the game!  

• Like 4

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I honestly don't see the difference between crude language and crude emoting.  They both communicate crude intent.  I could ignore one incident, but if someone keeps doing it after I told them to knock it off, yep, it's harrassment.

Not saying I disagree, just curious how you would expect a GM to verify emote spamming?  Offensive chat can be found in chat logs. 

4 hours ago, MangoKulfi said:

^

Reading through the thread trying to figure out what annoyed me, that's the one.  People see one or two targets left and move on to the next mob, but the ones left behind are the bosses.

Ran into this today in a group of five. Our tank and brute kept moving forward leaving stragglers behind for myself, playing a blaster, and another player playing a PB.  The strays tended to make a beeline toward the peace bringer. The two of us would end up working together to knock out the straggler, when we should have been concentrating on using our attacks against the mob.  As we were running a mission arc in the mid 20s, which was bumped up a couple of levels, the strays tended to be orange or red. So it wasn’t like we were having to pick off minions. Meanwhile, the tank and brute spent a lot of time discussing their fire farm builds,  how many different characters they had, how many were level 50.  And then the conversation strayed off into a discussion of quarantine, wherein one of them proceeded to tell us how no one had actually died of Covid-19. 

So this was sort of a trifecta of annoyingness. Unsurprisingly, the team (politely) broke up right after that mission.  

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Blastit said:

Say "toon".

Totally guilty.  I've been working really hard on saying "alt" or "character".  It's always worked for me in the past because, hey, these are all comic book cartoons anyway, but I'm aware of other people's triggers.

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, Frunobulax said:

"PST with class and powersets"

I feel like my tolerance for interviewing for a pug is inversely proportional to my ability to exceed whatever expectations the group leader probably has.

It's just unnecessary 99% of the time.  Go for it if you've got a specific challenge in mind, but I am not submitting a resume to run radios.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

Not saying I disagree, just curious how you would expect a GM to verify emote spamming?  Offensive chat can be found in chat logs. 

IMO, it's not that you would expect a GM to verify and stop bad behavior.  It's that you would expect people to not behave badly.  My experience in gaming would indicate that it's a fool's errand to expect people to act in a game as honorably and true as they would in real life.

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/8/2020 at 3:56 AM, Ashington said:

My biggest Peeve are people who start talking politics in general chat.

We don't need that here.

My biggest pet peeve is people who get mad at people for talking politics. I get that you are simpleminded and cannot tolerate complicated or dramatic subjects, but politics is a part of life, just like morality and logic. People who discourage others from talking about important things, I feel, are responsible for the epidemic ignorance that is going on in the world today.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bonkleberry said:

My biggest pet peeve is people who get mad at people for talking politics. I get that you are simpleminded and cannot tolerate complicated or dramatic subjects, but politics is a part of life, just like morality and logic. People who discourage others from talking about important things, I feel, are responsible for the epidemic ignorance that is going on in the world today.

I sort of agree.  See I kind of think politics should be left to the real world and doesn't really belong in game because it just turns into flame wars.  it gets old after a while and people are just arguing opinions.  Most folk can't have a rational debate anyway.  I get that some people want to talk about it though so I'll just turn off that chat channel or put them on ignore.  I don't need a GM to do it for me.

as for the reporting people over the slapping emote thing, good grief people.  step away from the computer and get out into the real world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

I sort of agree.  See I kind of think politics should be left to the real world and doesn't really belong in game because it just turns into flame wars.  it gets old after a while and people are just arguing opinions.  Most folk can't have a rational debate anyway.  I get that some people want to talk about it though so I'll just turn off that chat channel or put them on ignore.  I don't need a GM to do it for me.

as for the reporting people over the slapping emote thing, good grief people.  step away from the computer and get out into the real world.

If I pretended to slap your ass in the real world would that be ok or would it net me a trip to HR?

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper