Jump to content
killigraphy

Some things players do that annoy you?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

If I pretended to slap your ass in the real world would that be ok or would it net me a trip to HR?

Yeah we're not in the real world in game man so trying to equate it to real life is just silly.  People can buff you with electricity and give you convulsions or make your toon puke without your consent in game too should that get reported?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Yeah we're not in the real world in game man so trying to equate it to real life is just silly.  People can buff you with electricity and give you convulsions or make your toon puke without your consent in game too should that get reported?

You did that yourself, not me. Here's the quote:

 

"as for the reporting people over the slapping emote thing, good grief people.  step away from the computer and get out into the real world. " - ZacKing


Veteran of Paragon City 2006-2012

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frostbiter said:

You did that yourself, not me. Here's the quote:

 

"as for the reporting people over the slapping emote thing, good grief people.  step away from the computer and get out into the real world. " - ZacKing

no dude that isn't what I did at all.  nice try though.  using an emote on someone in the game isn't the same as real life.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Bonkleberry said:

My biggest pet peeve is people who get mad at people for talking politics. I get that you are simpleminded and cannot tolerate complicated or dramatic subjects, but politics is a part of life, just like morality and logic. People who discourage others from talking about important things, I feel, are responsible for the epidemic ignorance that is going on in the world today.

If this is the typical tone you assume in your discussions, I can’t see them going anywhere good. “I get that you’re are simpleminded?” Really? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking for SFMA content over multiple arcs? Try Ordinary People #1-3, and the “Mobius” arc  (Friends & Lovers, Data Games, The Omnibus Project). Search using my sig (in title as cranebump presents) to find them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Yeah we're not in the real world in game man so trying to equate it to real life is just silly.  People can buff you with electricity and give you convulsions or make your toon puke without your consent in game too should that get reported?

That’s in combat.  I expect to be hit by fists or flames or various effects while in combat. That’s completely misrepresenting the issue.
 

Really, if I have to explain why sexual harassment, even if it’s “only virtual” is horrible behavior and concerning, then I don’t think I can explain it in a way that you will understand.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, cranebump said:

If this is the typical tone you assume in your discussions, I can’t see them going anywhere good. “I get that you’re are simpleminded?” Really? 

Yes. Only a simpleminded person would be bothered by others discussing a topic about public matters in a public channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

That’s in combat.  I expect to be hit by fists or flames or various effects while in combat. That’s completely misrepresenting the issue.
 

Really, if I have to explain why sexual harassment, even if it’s “only virtual” is horrible behavior and concerning, then I don’t think I can explain it in a way that you will understand.

Yeah you don't need to be in combat dude.  people can hit you with buffs that make you convulse or puke outside of combat.  Really if it has to be explained to you how someone using an emote in a virtual game world where people are throwing fireballs and shooting laser beams from their eyes isn't the reality, I don't think you will understand.  Some douche typing racial obscenities or other crap should get reported.  Reporting someone for using a slap emote and trying to equate that with real life harassment?  Come on.  step away from the keyboard for a while and go spend some time in the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Yeah you don't need to be in combat dude.  people can hit you with buffs that make you convulse or puke outside of combat.  Really if it has to be explained to you how someone using an emote in a virtual game world where people are throwing fireballs and shooting laser beams from their eyes isn't the reality, I don't think you will understand.  Some douche typing racial obscenities or other crap should get reported.  Reporting someone for using a slap emote and trying to equate that with real life harassment?  Come on.  step away from the keyboard for a while and go spend some time in the real world.

It's hard not to read your argument as "sexual harassment is fine under some circumstances".

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lines said:

It's hard not to read your argument as "sexual harassment is fine under some circumstances".

oh good grief.  that isn't what I said.  not even remotely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It kinda is.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a simple solution here.  Have the slap and smack emotes removed from the game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

There seems to be a simple solution here.  Have the slap and smack emotes removed from the game. 

That would be quite rude to the people that enjoy being spanked.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Haha 5

Harm no other and do as ye will. It ain't rocket surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Troo said:

It kinda is.

No it's not dude but if you want to think that, go ahead.  sexual harassment shouldn't be tolerated in real life.  it shouldn't be tolerated on social media when it's used to bully someone.  taking someone using a slap emote on your virtual character as sexual harassment seems a big stretch to me.  feel free to disagree.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

No it's not dude..

Yeah, see, they gave some specifics which you are now leaving out as you dig a deeper hole.

  • Asking not to do it
  • Having it done again repeatedly
  • With crude remarks during the encounter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Troo said:

Yeah, see, they gave some specifics which you are now leaving out as you dig a deeper hole.

  • Asking not to do it
  • Having it done again repeatedly
  • With crude remarks during the encounter

Yeah see, no holes here.  if you read what I wrote, you'd see I said report people for typing crude shit or racial obscenities.  just using a slap emote?  not so much.  nice try though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Troo said:

Yeah, see, they gave some specifics which you are now leaving out as you dig a deeper hole.

  • Asking not to do it
  • Having it done again repeatedly
  • With crude remarks during the encounter

Just out of curiosity here, I am sure everyone can agree that people typing offensive things into chat is actionable and should get reported.  That aside, where do you draw the line with regard to the rest?  Everyone has something other people do in game that annoys them.   As an example, I generally dislike people doing drive by buffs like speed boost or healing flames and such outside of missions or if I am standing around chatting with friends.  Should I be asking them to stop doing that and if they keep doing it, report them?  How do you expect the GM to handle that kind of thing?  Should GMs issue warnings and start banning accounts?  I am just curious where the line gets drawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSA: Harassment (being defined as continuing to interact with a player after being asked to stop) is against the CoC. Talking about politics in General chat is strongly discouraged. I hope this PSA stops this line of conversation.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Rude people -whether in a chat channel or just being a dingus ingame...there's really no need for being negative "just because". 

*People that zoom ahead in a mission, get ganked and then start crying out for help as the rest of the team is still zoning into the map

*Bossy people on teams - I get it, you know the game inside and out, most of the rest of us do too...we just don't shove it in anyone's face

*Rikti monkies...really, the Rikti couldn't have taught them some manners? PU!

  • Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Street/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@ShardWarrior that's totally a fair question. It is definitely a subjective line between goofing off and griefing. Really it is the recipient's point of view.

 

Rule of thumb: If someone is made uncomfortable by our actions AND says something, we continue at our own peril.

 

The language in an EULA or similar would likely leave an offender holding responsibility for their actions.

Edited by Troo
added colour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey this is good to know.  Now I can report all the people in PvP zones for attacking me when I asked them to stop interacting with me! cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Troo said:

@ShardWarrior that's totally a fair question. It is definitely a subjective line between goofing off and griefing. Really it is the recipient's point of view.

I totally agree.  I was just thinking in situations like what I posted, is this really something we want to be reporting people over?  I personally will not, but I imagine there are those who will jump at the chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

Hey this is good to know.  Now I can report all the people in PvP zones for attacking me when I asked them to stop interacting with me! cool!

This has happened to me. If warranted, the offender could expect a warning or a small ban... I got more than a warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Myrmidon said:


No worries, Eva. People like us can carry the spot.

It's not that the "SG is calling" person was really needed, as such, it's that someone else could have had that spot.  Especially annoying if I had to turn people away because the team filled.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my pet peeves I share with other people, though I'll post them anyway just so I don't forget something.

  • People asking for, or declaring themselves as, healers.
  • People that say they're asking for help, but are actually just asking someone to make all their build decisions for them.
  • People who want to know what "the best" is. (related to the above)
  • Those who get mad at a channel having banter when it isn't the General channel.
  • Related to the above, those same people never saying a word outside of when they're mad you used the channel "wrong".
  • People who say you're doing things wrong when you're having fun anyway.
  • Those who put words in your mouth to get others to dogpile you because you dared to question their worldview.
  • Getting shouted down by others who are objectively incorrect about a subject when you can prove that you're factually correct.
  • Trying to say the ATs are unbalanced when they use systems designed to unbalance and blur AT divides. (talkin' IO sets and Incarnates here)
  • Spamming LFG to beg for an AE farm "doorsitting position".
  • People who have to announce they're putting someone on ignore.
  • All the apparent celebrities and ex-models in Pocket D, at least according to their bios.

Hmm. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Most of these are just categorized under the broad "ignorance and intolerance" umbrella, and some are probably a tad contradictory. Being annoyed at people who tell others how to play while simultaneously getting annoyed at people who think being a healer is great kinda falls under that, but dang it, pet peeves don't have to make a whole lotta sense.

  • Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

 

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Troo said:

This has happened to me. If warranted, the offender could expect a warning or a small ban... I got more than a warning.

This shouldn't even happen. There's a big warning in red letters saying that you're at risk of being attacked by players. If they accept that risk, then they should have no recourse for being attacked by players. Griefing/harassment is something different and getting attacked after demanding people leave you alone shouldn't come close to tripping that flag.

  • Like 3

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

 

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...