Some things players do that annoy you?

2 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:
  • People who have to announce they're putting someone on ignore.

My favourite variation of this is when the person making the announcement is clearly in the wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

This shouldn't even happen. There's a big warning in red letters saying that you're at risk of being attacked by players. If they accept that risk, then they should have no recourse for being attacked by players. Griefing/harassment is something different and getting attacked after demanding people leave you alone shouldn't come close to tripping that flag.

Well based in the definition we're given here, seems like it's legit to report it as harassment in PvP zones too.  there's badge stuff to do in there and people shouldn't be attacking others if they ask them to stop. 

18 hours ago, Apparition said:

I get that a lot when trying to form a Strike Force red side.  I'll advertise in LFG: "Silver Mantis SF forming!  Level 20+ in Sharkhead Isle."  Someone almost invariably then sends me a tell, "I'd like to join.  How do I get to Sharkhead Isle?"  Simply asking that tells me that the person is playing blue side.  I'll reply: "Great!  Head on over to Pocket D, and look for a seagull on top of a box truck.  It's on the red side of Pocket D.  Ask him to make you a Vigilante or Rogue.  Then take the door to Sharkhead Isle."

I either get a tell a few minutes later: "Sorry, my SG is calling.  I have to go help them.  Bye."  or I don't hear back from them at all. 😄

Happens I'd say about 80% of the time I try to form a Strike Force.

This is why I always advertise as "Silver Mantis SF forming, level 20+ REDSIDE."  Tends to weed out the hero-only players.

9 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Well based in the definition we're given here, seems like it's legit to report it as harassment in PvP zones too.  there's badge stuff to do in there and people shouldn't be attacking others if they ask them to stop. 

It's more the notion that if a person sees a female character, slapping their butt is their first response. Like that's default behaviour when they see a woman, for no virtue other than that she's a woman. It's not pleasant to be a woman player in that sort of environment, even less so if it's deemed acceptable. It's clearly gruesome behaviour.

Obviously detecting such activity would be hard to police, but continued harassment could be spotted. (I wonder if a butt-slap-detection algorithm is possible by measuring character locations in relation to each other when the emote is used. I'm sure there's a pun in there, at least.)

Edited by Lines
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For PvP, if I have to go into a PvP zone for badges or other reasons, as soon as I enter, I hit Broadcast and just say, “Only here for badges! Please don’t attack!” I usually get a few people who acknowledge this, so I think many are used to it.

Then I proceed to actively avoid anyone else in the zone. If anyone comes close, I repeat my message in Local. Thankfully, the majority of players are cool, and I haven’t been bothered.

• Thanks 1

something that happened recently - I announced my level/AT and that I was LFG (though now i see in this thread that annoys some people, but anyway...) and some random person invites me to a team.  They didn't say anything about what they're doing, and when I asked things as we were forming up like "what are we doing? is this a TF?  is there a time estimate on this?  what level is this going to make me?" (i was 50 and wanted to use my high level powers, didn't have infinite game time, etc) they repeatedly ignored and then kicked me.  I have been playing for a looooong time and usually people are decent and will answer when you talk to them, but this was strange.

Like ... just don't grab random people out of LFG chat with no explanation? i just felt dumb for not quitting sooner haha

36 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

This shouldn't even happen. There's a big warning in red letters saying that you're at risk of being attacked by players. If they accept that risk, then they should have no recourse for being attacked by players. Griefing/harassment is something different and getting attacked after demanding people leave you alone shouldn't come close to tripping that flag.

I think there can be shades of grey here.  If you go into a PvP zone, you should expect to get attacked and killed by another player.  But after they've killed you and you NICELY say you just came for a badge or temp. power or whatever and that you'd appreciate being allowed to do that, the PvPer should give you some space . . . and usually will . . . unless you start cussing them out . . . then you get ganked repeatedly.  And deservedly so.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I think there can be shades of grey here.  If you go into a PvP zone, you should expect to get attacked and killed by another player.  But after they've killed you and you NICELY say you just came for a badge or temp. power or whatever and that you'd appreciate being allowed to do that, the PvPer should give you some space . . . and usually will . . . unless you start cussing them out . . . then you get ganked repeatedly.  And deservedly so.

I would not expect such mercy from any PvP'er. 

I'm firmly in the camp of "you went into the zone, you stayed long enough to get flagged, whaddiya really expect?"

I'm NOT actually a PvP'er myself.  I'm diehard PvE. 

But anytime I do enter, for a Shivan, or for some RV badges, etc, I do so knowing I can be ganked, possibly repeatedly ganked to the point where I simply choose to strategically retreat and try again at like 3:30 am, one random night if I get a bout of insomnia.   (Insomnia SUCKS, but sometimes, hell, if I'm gonna be awake ANYWAY, I might as well try to use the time....)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Bonkleberry said:

My biggest pet peeve is people who get mad at people for talking politics. I get that you are simpleminded and cannot tolerate complicated or dramatic subjects, but politics is a part of life, just like morality and logic. People who discourage others from talking about important things, I feel, are responsible for the epidemic ignorance that is going on in the world today.

No one is discouraging anyone from talking about politics in a broad sense. There's a time and place though. And to say that people are ignorant just because they don't want to discuss divisive subjects in their playtime is kind of ignorant as hell. 

18 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I am a male and have probably ~25% female toons, so tying the spankings to sexism just feels a tad questionable.

This!   The behavior described is harassment (repeated after being asked to stop) but its more juvenile, along the lines of 13 year old boys, rather than sexual harassment.  

Now I am probably gonna get myself in a heap of trouble here, but I have a dad, an ex-husband and two sons in their 20s, in addition to many friends and acquaintances of the male persuasion, and I have found that most men are just big 13 year olds at heart. 

Juvenile immature stuff is gonna happen.  If you need to report it, report it.  I haven't seen anything like what @Hexquisite describes so maybe its server population or whatever.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Now I am probably gonna get myself in a heap of trouble here, but I have a dad, an ex-husband and two sons in their 20s, in addition to many friends and acquaintances of the male persuasion, and I have found that most men are just big 13 year olds at heart. 

Not sure about "most", but certainly willing to concede "many".

And it can vary a lot by social groups / people currently present.

That said, there's some kinds of behavior that should be given a "boys will be boys", and there's some behavior that absolutely should not. 

I'd certainly expect people to back off and apologize if they get tells that saying that they're genuinely offending someone.

And at a minimum, to just silently stop, even if no apology came. 

There's really no excuse to continue to bother someone after being told you're causing them genuine distress.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

That’s in combat.  I expect to be hit by fists or flames or various effects while in combat. That’s completely misrepresenting the issue.

Really, if I have to explain why sexual harassment, even if it’s “only virtual” is horrible behavior and concerning, then I don’t think I can explain it in a way that you will understand.

Alright, first of all, I don't want to make light of your feelings. Being harassed is a thing that happens too much and has always happened. It once shocked me to hear my mother refer to a male pigeon circling a female pigeon as a 'son of a bitch' as the female fluttered a few steps away and he would follow and go back to circling it. She has told me things that have happened to her and it just shows things happen, have happened, and will probably continue to happen.

With that said lets please not equate games with RL? Someone's character doing a slapping gesture at your character is not meant as sexual assault. It's a joke. And yes, it's 2020 and jokes are on their way to be exterminated. I'm pretty sure whomever is behind the character has no idea you're a RL woman and their intent being to obtain some vicarious thrill at slapping female shaped pixels. It's a joke. Where you go wrong and then assume it is exploitative,  is then starting to engage the random person in conversation telling them to stop. You're feeding their desire for attention. It was a slapping emote but it could as well be spamming powers and in the same way a polite request to stop would be equally laughed off with crude remarks.

As a roleplayer I can say I have had -years- of people doing shit because they hated the idea of people roleplaying. Using mounts to stand on top of us so we could not see each other. Emoting how the mounts were defecating on us. Spamming emotes so that the chat would be full of it. Dancing naked on top of us.

They did not stop because we politely asked, angrily demanded, or called the GMs. They stopped because we put them on ignore and continued while ignoring them, and once enough time passed with none paying attention to them they just left.

1 hour ago, Troo said:

It kinda is.

It really isn't. Trying to twist it is fine since it's 2020 and people want to be offended. And yeah, before you ass-ume I don't it. I never see it done either. But I also don't say it does not happen either.

The idiocy of the past pages with people saying that anyone who disagrees is condoning sexual harassment is worthy of Tumblr, but we are not in Tumblr, okay?

• Like 4

On 7/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, Ukase said:

I think my biggest peeve is folks that will say in LFG, for example: Level 50 blaster lfg. 

What? If you are looking for a group to team with, there's a the Find Member button right on top of that box you just typed in. That's where you look for people to join your team. Or, if you can't see that, type /search (/sea for short). 

Nobody should be broadcasting "LFG". Form the darn team! If you're not comfortable leading, nobody cares. Simply state that you're new, but you want to do whatever it is in your mission list, or a tf, or whatever it is you want to do. 

People use that find member thing?

51 minutes ago, Sovera said:

With that said lets please not equate games with RL? Someone's character doing a slapping gesture at your character is not meant as sexual assault. It's a joke. And yes, it's 2020 and jokes are on their way to be exterminated. I'm pretty sure whomever is behind the character has no idea you're a RL woman and their intent being to obtain some vicarious thrill at slapping female shaped pixels. It's a joke.

It's a sexist joke.  That is why it's not funny.  Yes, it's 2020 and jokes at other people's expense are on their way to being exterminated.  When one person doesn't laugh at your joke, that person doesn't have a sense of humor, but when a group of people doesn't laugh at a joke that is about them, it's because your joke sucks.  Nobody wants to be offended, we want people to stop doing offensive stuff and go start an argument on the merits or lack thereof of drive-by Speed Boosts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Some of my pet peeves I share with other people, though I'll post them anyway just so I don't forget something.

• People asking for, or declaring themselves as, healers.
  • People that say they're asking for help, but are actually just asking someone to make all their build decisions for them.
  • People who want to know what "the best" is. (related to the above)

I think the whole "stop the healer" stuff is dated / pase / nbd anymore.  

Enough people know now that any support works.

Was more a reaction to how people were back in the day ..  

1 minute ago, Eva Destruction said:

It's a sexist joke.  That is why it's not funny.  Yes, it's 2020 and jokes at other people's expense are on their way to being exterminated.  When one person doesn't laugh at your joke, that person doesn't have a sense of humor, but when a group of people doesn't laugh at a joke that is about them, it's because your joke sucks.  Nobody wants to be offended, we want people to stop doing offensive stuff and go start an argument on the merits or lack thereof of drive-by Speed Boosts.

Is it the face slap they are referring to?