Some things players do that annoy you?

24 minutes ago, roleki said:

I dunno, is defending unnecessary behavior that could be interpreted as sexual harassment the hill YOU want to die on?

Apologies for asking as I genuinely am not looking to offend anyone, but I do find this curious.  Where exactly does one draw the line here?  If I am on a male character and fighting female NPCs, does that not also send the wrong message that it is ok to physically beat women?  Also, I am fairly certain some of the things male NPCs say to female NPCs in Pocket D and the Rogue Isles would be considered offensive and sexist today.  Should those things get removed too since they are sending the wrong message?

• Like 1

Those aren't real people. That's simply simulated violence against simulations. The person behind the player on the receiving end of this kind of behavior is a different story. The reason this behavior is wrong is that it objectifies that person. It removes their humanity and reduces them to an object of sport for the person engaging in this sort of nonsense. It's wrong, no ifs and's or buts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

What other woke stuff do I get to do thanks to my pixels? If I, a dude, am entitled to accuse people of sexism for acts against my female pixels... does this warped thinking also extend to the ethnicities of our toons, for instance?

• Haha 1

Just now, arcaneholocaust said:

What other woke stuff do I get to do thanks to my pixels? If I, a dude, am entitled to accuse people of sexism for acts against my female pixels... does this warped thinking also extend to the ethnicities of our toons, for instance?

Harassment is harassment. If you do that to someone you can expect to receive pushback/reporting for it.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

3 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

If you tell me something like, "Oh hell no! I'm not going to team with that Khalil guy of yours. He's made of stone! That's creepy!" I'd just laugh.

If you said "I'm not going to let you join this team with Harry because he looks like a black guy" then... yeah. I'd raise an eyebrow.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Great suggestion, at least where the slap emote is concerned. You should make it to someone who can do that.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

10 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Great suggestion, at least where the slap emote is concerned. You should make it to someone who can do that.

You do realize the rather broad scope of “behaviors capable of offending someone somewhere”, don’t you? For one thing, city of heroes is a violent game and should be shut down according to that standard. You probably shouldn’t speak to anyone ever, either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

No one is discouraging anyone from talking about politics in a broad sense. There's a time and place though. And to say that people are ignorant just because they don't want to discuss divisive subjects in their playtime is kind of ignorant as hell. 

I did not say they were ignornat, I said they were contributing to ignorance. I called them simpleminded, to be specific.

And this arguement that "there is a time and place" to discuss politics is just a veiled attempt to shut people up. Politics is not the same as sexy talk, nor is it the same as illegal topics, drugs, violence, or any other thing that can lead to the musfortune of others. So, no, I disagree that "there is a time and place" to discuss politics. When people want to talk about it, that is the time and place.

2 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

You do realize the rather broad scope of “behaviors capable of offending someone somewhere”, don’t you? For one thing, city of heroes is a violent game and should be shut down according to that standard. You probably shouldn’t speak to anyone ever, either.

Ah yes, the call for silencing an opposing voice. Never too far behind when you're dealing with someone who thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Just now, Bonkleberry said:

I did not say they were ignornat, I said they were contributing to ignorance. I called them simpleminded, to be specific.

And this arguement that "there is a time and place" to discuss politics is just a veiled attempt to shut people up. Politics is not the same as sexy talk, nor is it the same as illegal topics, drugs, violence, or any other thing that can lead to the musfortune of others. So, no, I disagree that "there is a time and place" to discuss politics. When people want to talk about it, that is the time and place.

I personally don’t want to talk about politics at the moment because I have actually spent the last several years of my life absolutely obsessing over politics and have realized what an utterly toxic, hopeless, illogical hellhole that realm of discussion is. Now please reiterate for me how this makes me simpleminded and we’ll call it good.

1 minute ago, Frostbiter said:

Ah yes, the call for silencing an opposing voice. Never too far behind when you're dealing with someone who thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong.

I only said you should be silent according to your own standard, not mine.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Those aren't real people. That's simply simulated violence against simulations. The person behind the player on the receiving end of this kind of behavior is a different story. The reason this behavior is wrong is that it objectifies that person. It removes their humanity and reduces them to an object of sport for the person engaging in this sort of nonsense. It's wrong, no ifs and's or buts.

I understand that, but I can imagine there are people out there who will argue it is bad form and teaching the wrong things.  The way many female characters are presented in the game is very highly objectified and sexualized as well.  On one hand, you are saying that is ok because it is pretend while on the other saying it is not ok even though it is being done pretend in a pretend world.

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 1

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

I understand that, but I can imagine there are people out there who will argue it is bad form and teaching the wrong things.  The way many female characters are presented in the game is very highly objectified and sexualized as well. 

There's no question that all the character models (maybe not the gigantic ones) are idealized version of the human form. At least this game doesn't have a genitalia slider like Conan Exiles.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

4 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I only said you should be silent according to your own standard, not mine.

My standard is to not do or say anything to others that I

A) Wouldn't want them to do to me

B) wouldn't do to them in real life.

Keep on trying to put words in my mouth though.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

8 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

My standard is to not do or say anything to others that I

A) Wouldn't want them to do to me

B) wouldn't do to them in real life.

Keep on trying to put words in my mouth though.

I do A as well. If you actually treat everyone on the internet exactly as you treat them in real life, you might be the second coming of Jesus Christ. But I just don’t believe that of anyone here. It defies our basic understanding of how humans do, in fact, act on the internet.

And please do not imply you aren’t putting words in my mouth too.

Edited by arcaneholocaust

20 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

You probably shouldn’t speak to anyone ever, either.

Isn't putting words in your mouth. As for being what you just said, I claim no such thing. I fall short of my goals, I am only human.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Just now, Frostbiter said:

Isn't putting words in your mouth.

You said I wanted to silence you. My comment was merely that your standard appeared to be “if it risks offending anyone, don’t do it”, and that would include basically any speech ever. I have zero desire to silence you. So yes you were putting words in my mouth.

7 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I do A as well. If you actually treat everyone on the internet exactly as you treat them in real life, you might be the second coming of Jesus Christ. But I just don’t believe that of anyone here. It defies our basic understanding of how humans do, in fact, act on the internet.

And please do not imply you aren’t putting words in my mouth too.

For whatever it's worth, the rule I've always stuck with myself is that I won't say something out here in the 'tubes that I wouldn't say to the same person if we were sitting across a table from each other in the Real World. I may be snarky and not always flawlessly polite... But no moreso online than I am off.

Being faceless doesn't mean we automatically have to be asshats to each other, in a game or otherwise.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice