Could self flagging for pvp in any zone be a thing?

3 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Oh....REALLY?

So all the acrimony I remember before i13 is just...a hallucination?

1. He's referring to the size of the PvP population as a whole, and
  2. An easy, casual-friendly game like CoH is going to by its very nature attract the type of player who wants that, and that type of player does not always overlap with the type of player that enjoys PvP. Most of the "acrimony" back on live came from someone stepping into a PvP zone, getting stomped on, and coming to the forums complaining and asking for a nerf, then getting upset when people basically told them "learn to play."
Edited by macskull
  • Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Oh....REALLY?

So all the acrimony I remember before i13 is just...a hallucination?

"Hallucination" would be an exaggeration. I think you, like all of us, are just overstating your own personal experiences/observations. You're looking back at the past with whatever the opposite of rose-tinted glasses are. PVP was very popular when it was launched.

For example. On Virtue (the RP server, third most populated IIRC) Siren's Call was always busy. I ran plenty of RPVP events there (PVP events with a story premise). They were always full of casual players. Plus, outside of these events, the zone was active and people enjoyed themselves. A large part of the post-COV launch RP community was built around PVP.

Yes, people complained on the forums about dying/balance in PVP. But...that's just MMORPG forums, man. Complaining is all they ever have on them. In game it was another story entirely.

Sadly the devs did not realise this. They listened to people who played the forums rather than played the game, and implemented a bunch of terrible PVP changes in Issue 13 which:

-Killed off the casual PVPers.

-Massively reduced in number the hardcore PVPers

-Turned those few remaining hardcore PVPers against the devs / forum posters who requested these terrible changes.

This last point created a culture of bitterness between the self-segregated PVP community and forum posters that has only grown worse over the years. I imagine this is why you remember it the way you do.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.