“Theme” Teams

cranebump

I’ve been seeing various callouts in LFG for such things as “master ITFs,” as well as the occasional “all X” team (where “X”=a specific AT). And, of course, we have our usual completely full teams of random 8. I am wondering, though, if it’d be worth it to conjure up some additional thematic/creative teaming, just to add some variety to the PuG types. For example, I remember the “Star” formations in the old Battletech game. The clan mechs worked in units off 5–like points of a star.

I am wondering whether something like this could work In CoX. You announce a “star” run, indicating its a team of 5. I’m also wondering how to conjure up other forms of thematic shorthand. For example:, what would these be called?

*A team with no duplicate archetypes (lone rangers?)

*all ranged (bombardment team?)

*all of the same origin (X-Men?)

*costumes of the same base color (who aren’t in an SG)

What other “theme team” ideas do you have, or have seen put into play? Better yet, what types of teams would you like to see more of (I’m a big fan of trios, but hardly ever end up on a team that small).

• Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

You should have seen the Repeat Offenders on live. Green Machine (all Empathy, or "turning defenders into Regen blasters.") all rad, storm, etc.

I have seen callouts for all-support, all *specific AT* and the like.

Back on live, there were illusion controllers that all had the "same" name... which I was told again recently, and have promptly forgotten. Illusion ... something. (mixing uppercase i and lowercase L, o and 0, etc. to get the "same" name.)

There's always the supposed all-mastermind MSR...

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

53 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

I would like to try a powerset team instead of just archetype.

Good example would be Beam Rifle. That set is available for Blaster,Defender,Corrupter and Sentinels  

They have something like this on Reunion, it's a group called Windy, all storm powers, any AT. 

And I'm also on Twang, an all archer team (again, any AT)... probably the quietest runs I've been on

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

Back on live, there were illusion controllers that all had the "same" name... which I was told again recently, and have promptly forgotten. Illusion ... something. (mixing uppercase i and lowercase L, o and 0, etc. to get the "same" name.)

They were called "Parallel Illusion." Those of us who hated the CoH font and replaced it with something better could tell them apart, but most couldn't. Their costumes were identical, too. IIRC, something like the default Illusion Control PA outfit.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

55 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Can confirm with @Infinitum that all beam rifle teams are godlike.

I've GOT to try that. Gym Beam's been semi-retired too long.:-)

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I've been in a few all VEAT teams (Arachnos Soldier/ Widow) and they've always been a blast. All the team buffs are amazing, but the team needs to stick together to really work. 

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

5, eh?   A good 5-being Warshade team sounds like an answer to most anything.

I can state from experience that a 5 or 6 person scrapper team tears through enemies like tissues.  I was actually skeptical at first, due to the lack of team healing and range, but we were surprisingly effective.

• Like 1

I've done all Stormies including an ITF (Perfect Storms), all scrapper Tin Mage on test server, all Empathy/-- (Green Machine), all Earth/--, several all defender/controller including a MoSTF, all Kin (Pinball Wizards), all VEAT, all caltrops (7 MM/Ninja and 1 Stalker/Nin usually), all AR/Dev, all Traps (corruptor), all Fire/Sonic, all 'something Dark', all RadEm (Faithful Fans of Fallout).  All were a ton of fun and several were very potent.

• Like 1

I bet an all-magic team would be interesting - I'd expect lots of Doms and Trollers. Not so much in the way of melee ... I mean... magic melee?! 

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

12 hours ago, Herotu said:

magic melee?!

It's not so far-fetched. I mean, my toons are more tech-oriented, but definitely you can attribute the elemental "fist" powers to magic, and your weapon melee can be imbued with arcane power (maybe not so much in animation). @Solarverse even created this SFX Mod for Kinetic Melee just to make more immersive.

A current SG that I'm part of is an exclusive VEAT SG and we do all spider runs. the leadership buffs are insane. SG leader gave a command to diversify our Hybrids and Destinies to benefit the group. Same SG leader started an all Magic Origin (any AT/powers) based on a grand scheme that he has. hasn't taken off yet as his laptop broke down... there's only 4 barely active members in it.

And a few weeks ago, I chanced upon a team of 3, me being the fourth and I don't know if they planned it, but I could pass off as a storm-trooper (BR Sent), another guy was a sith lord with elec powers and costume (plus he had Darth in his name), and another beam buy who sorta looked like a Mandalorian. (the leader was a clown, literally). so it was pick up Star Wars team. 

Another friend of mine runs with his friends as the Fantastic 4. don't know all of their powers, but costumes are spot on! Richards even has the text edit to elongate and max his glove size to complete the illusion. he has to reset it every time he zones.

and I've heard of all DP teams, all Ice, and all MM teams. for the latter, I can imagine the "crowd" and I'd hate to have a cave mission with them.

Edited by Six Six
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1