Remember when...

TheOtherTed

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

AE was the worst thing that Paragon Studios added to the game.  A lot of people warned them during the Issue 14 beta of exactly what would happen if it went live.  They didn’t listen.

My recollection was that a very vocal group of people on Test insisted that, despite being a wonderful (& almost unprecedented in MMOs) tool to allow for player-created content, almost nobody would use the AE unless the rewards were commensurate with the rest of the game.  The devs, after their hard work in creating this amazing new thing, understandably bowed to this pressure, despite warnings about how the AE would be used, in order to introduce the playerbase to their new baby, not wanting it to be orphaned at birth.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

3 hours ago, MTeague said:

All threads much evenutally coalesce into one of a few categories.  So far I've seen them fall into

1. discussion of Star Wars,
  2. discussion of Babylon 5, 
  3. calls to nerf Regen
  4. complaints about farming
  5. complaints about Knockback
  6. bitching about power creep
  7. pleas to add more power creep

The power creep on Emperor Palpatine WAS ridiculous.  And talk about his Regen...sheesh!  Even John Sheridan when he fell needed...  oh, um, what were we discussing?

Oh yeah!  Remember when... teams stood inside the mission entrance, a single tank would gather the ENTIRE instance, manage to hold aggro without dying, and bring them all forward, leaping into a convenient dumpster around a corner so the team could annihilate every enemy in the instance at once.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Oh yeah!  Remember when... teams stood inside the mission entrance, a single tank would gather the ENTIRE instance, manage to hold aggro without dying, and bring them all forward, leaping into a convenient dumpster around a corner so the team could annihilate every enemy in the instance at once.

And... remember when there wasn't collision avoidance on the enemy and if the tank herded them right, ALL of the enemies would jump in and stack on top of on another so that even a single target attack would hit them all?  Could literally wipe out an entire map with a good build up, aim and a good single target attack or two?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Remember when there weren’t respecs and there was no mids

Do I. That's how "Hardship" came about. I made that hero to level to 6 "real quick" so I could see if I wanted to take Hasten on my Ice / Ice blaster and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I had no intention of keeping playing my fire / devices blaster, I just wanted to see how Hasten worked. LOL, fun times!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hardship said:

And... remember when there wasn't collision avoidance on the enemy and if the tank herded them right, ALL of the enemies would jump in and stack on top of on another so that even a single target attack would hit them all?  Could literally wipe out an entire map with a good build up, aim and a good single target attack or two?

Yep, yep...good times!

48 minutes ago, Hardship said:

Do I. That's how "Hardship" came about. I made that hero to level to 6 "real quick" so I could see if I wanted to take Hasten on my Ice / Ice blaster and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I had no intention of keeping playing my fire / devices blaster, I just wanted to see how Hasten worked. LOL, fun times!

Probably took you just as long to get to 6 as it takes to get to 30 now... ugh, galaxy city/sewer days...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I remember the City being virtually empty for weeks, possibly months, after AE hit.

I honestly don't remember that at all.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Remember when you had to limit yourself because you had to take travel pre-reqs, and stamina pre-reqs?  My God....so many of my chars might have taken more of the leadership pool, or tough and weave just for the hell of it.  And I wasn't going to respec all my chars once they implemented that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I've always thought Babylon 5 was a good series...

:::has a copy of the first season sitting right behind him signed by JMS and Peter Jurasik, the latter after literally being on line next to him to get into a hotel::::

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember when you were young?

You shone line the sun.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

... Remember "Death express" being a legit thing - the "original" fast travel from the Hollows (or sewers) back to Atlas to train?

Remember the devs introducing Defiance 1.0? "Tell them not to heal you so you do more damage!" ... no.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Mister Mass said:

My recollection was that a very vocal group of people on Test insisted that, despite being a wonderful (& almost unprecedented in MMOs) tool to allow for player-created content, almost nobody would use the AE unless the rewards were commensurate with the rest of the game.  The devs, after their hard work in creating this amazing new thing, understandably bowed to this pressure, despite warnings about how the AE would be used, in order to introduce the playerbase to their new baby, not wanting it to be orphaned at birth.

And they were correct. Had it launched with rewards that weren't commensurate with the rest of the game it would have been abandoned on sight. Especially since NONE of the mission doors are actually in the actual world. Which in hindsight is what they should have done from the start. It would have integrated the missions with the rest of the world.

2 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

And they were correct. Had it launched with rewards that weren't commensurate with the rest of the game it would have been abandoned on sight. Especially since NONE of the mission doors are actually in the actual world. Which in hindsight is what they should have done from the start. It would have integrated the missions with the rest of the world.

Ehhh... I'd say they were "sort of" correct. I've joined teams - granted, many were SG teams - where the person still had it in *test* mode. So no AE tickets *or* regular rewards.

4 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Ehhh... I'd say they were "sort of" correct. I've joined teams - granted, many were SG teams - where the person still had it in *test* mode. So no AE tickets *or* regular rewards.

My disappointment with it being in one "fake" amusement box and not actual player content integrated into the mission door tech across Paragon City was VERY VERY HIGH during open beta and the time it launched. The one redeeming quality was that it still had rewards. I wasn't the only one who felt like that in my player group.

If HC ever integrates it into the actual world so that player missions actually come up mixed in with regular missions, newspaper/radios and tips I might consider using AE for something other than an alt PLer one day.

At the time a few people made the suggestion that the AE dev awarded arcs be integrated as real story arcs. Paragon never got around to it. . . before, well we know what happened.

EDIT: And I did try a few of the early stories released. They were . . . not good. Like REALLY NOT GOOD. That may have also soured me on the whole thing and it's intended purpose.

Edited by golstat2003

3 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Remember when there weren’t respecs and there was no mids

This! Your choice was permanent. I remember when they pushed the terra volta trial out, i could finally respec out of jump kick from the leaping pool thinking it would work with my martial arts scrapper. Except that trial was tough!

• Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

25 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Remember when you were young?

You shone line the sun.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

... Remember "Death express" being a legit thing - the "original" fast travel from the Hollows (or sewers) back to Atlas to train?

Remember the devs introducing Defiance 1.0? "Tell them not to heal you so you do more damage!" ... no.

Jump off the tall buildings in steel to get extra dmg for street sweeping

• Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

Remember when you had to limit yourself because you had to take travel pre-reqs, and stamina pre-reqs?  My God....so many of my chars might have taken more of the leadership pool, or tough and weave just for the hell of it.  And I wasn't going to respec all my chars once they implemented that.

I had probably 20 characters at 50 on Victory when that hit, and probably 8 or 9 on other servers.  Know I didn't respec them all.  IIRC you got both inherent stamina and pool power stamina if you didn't respec, and for most of 'em having double stamina was worth it. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

3 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I had probably 20 characters at 50 on Victory when that hit, and probably 8 or 9 on other servers.  Know I didn't respec them all.  IIRC you got both inherent stamina and pool power stamina if you didn't respec, and for most of 'em having double stamina was worth it. 

Wow...I didn't remember that.  Then again, when that got implemented, I wasn't playing much.

40 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I ... honestly don't remember having double stamina. Unless that got patched out later, since I still had characters *with* original-stamina on a build (didn't want to redo them) when it shut down.

10 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Were the villain epics around during this time? Possible triple stamina??

Pocket D Zone Tour

On 7/14/2020 at 8:11 AM, Hardship said:

When you forgot to change the color of your belt (or any other minor cosmetic mess up) in the character creator and then had to sneak all the way to the Icon shop in Steel to make changes.

When sidekick / mentor was a one-to-one relationship and you had to balance that with the mission levels.

The clever people went to Kings Row, exited on the west side to Independence Port, and made the relatively short run to the Icon there. A somewhat higher level range, but a much shorter run.

Sidekick/mentor wasn't where the screw was -- it was exemping, where you had the same one-to-one relationship to an 'aspirant' to lower your level to be able to run TFs you'd outleveled, and if the aspirant DC'd, and didn't reconnect quick enough, you'd revert to your 'natural' level and be kicked from the TF for being outside the level range, then were unable to rejoin even if your aspirant came back; if this happened on the last mission of the TF, you'd have to do it all over and hope your aspirant stayed connected this time.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 1