Remember when...

TheOtherTed

1 minute ago, Doomguide2005 said:

The first Khelds I saw were a pair, I think, husband wife duo.  They joined our team when we were down to 3 of us after the other 5 quit off.  We'd been doing well in the Hollows, then ran into Pumicites and repeatedly kept getting aggro of the entire mob with predictable team wipes.  I have rarely seen then or since some one manage to repeatedly and reliably pull single pumicites till we cleared the mission as the one playing the Peacebringer.  

I can also remember dropping my much exempted Emp/Dark when a bug was causing the Cysts to spawn much higher level mobs than was supposed to occur.  These had popped up at level 24 iirc vs our Frostfire team.  

Were you on Guardian?

On 7/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

What they should have done when they added AE was make it rewardless, other than relevant AE badges and author-created souvenirs. Our RP group used it quite a lot to advance our character's own stories. Playing user-created content should have been it's own reward.

But no going back now.

People were playing user-created content to level up their 50th alt because they'd already run all the official content multiple times.  This was the point of having user-created content, because players will always finish content much faster than the devs can create it.  If there had been no rewards, AE would have been a ghost town after about a week; as it was, the story-creator and -player community was active for years, despite a complete lack of dev support for AE's intended purpose after the initial launch.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, 0th Power said:

I wish I could capture the feeling from logging in the 1st time. That feeling was almost recaptured when I logged in here on HC the 1st time.  

For me, it wasn't logging but logging in and arriving in Atlas Park and seeing other players. So many private servers are basically solo experiences, but getting into the game and finding a team within minutes was extremely nostalgic.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

27 minutes ago, TaxibotJoe said:

To, and from, missions 🚕

It was quite interesting to coordinate badge tours, having a taxibot at each of a zone's badge locations, forming a chain whereby six players could be handed off between each taxibot in the chain.

When we had enough taxibots, we could cover as much as three zones in that fashion (I was Johnny Taxibot on Infinity).

Unfortunately, due to the game gradually being made easier, and online maps being convenient for referencing badge locations, there was less need for taxibots, per se.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It was quite interesting to coordinate badge tours, having a taxibot at each of a zone's badge locations, forming a chain whereby six players could be handed off between each taxibot in the chain.

When we had enough taxibots, we could cover as much as three zones in that fashion (I was Johnny Taxibot on Infinity).

Unfortunately, due to the game gradually being made easier, and online maps being convenient for referencing badge locations, there was less need for taxibots, per se.

I had a collection of macros with the historical information to share with folks on badge tours.

I remember if you put the recall friend target just right, you could zone a fare on landing.

good times

• Like 2

If you think this game is too easy, run AE 801.* missions!

4 hours ago, TaxibotJoe said:

I had a collection of macros with the historical information to share with folks on badge tours.

I remember if you put the recall friend target just right, you could zone a fare on landing.

good times

I'll let you all in on a little secret. Not all taxibots were comfortable, how should I say, putting themselves out there to help with tours, or just standing duty in costume shop zones. It was intimidating. So it was a well done time for having everyone's participation, moreso when they chose to just go stand duty and help people more-or-less at random.

Badge tours were demanding, so I'm pretty sure I'd use macros (though I'd write my own flavour text). However, I didn't use macros when doing interviews because that felt impersonal. I had a bullet-point list for what candidates needed to know, and then just typed fast, ad libbing as needed.

• 3 months later
On 7/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, TheOtherTed said:

...Fulcrum Shift sounded like the fury of the Gods and not the twinkling of fairies?  A sound so powerful it could reach into this world and crash computers...

I have a thread on this in the suggestion forums. If you want that sound back, I suggest you support that thread. It's listed in my Sig.

I remember hearing about this from friends on blue side(I always played redside).   A couple Mind/ controllers and a scrapper "got confused" in RV and zoned into Atlas still confused.   They proceeded to attack all the low levels in the zone.   The trollers keeping themselves and the scrapper confused.   It was most likely very annoying for the "victim's",  but I couldn't stop laughing about it.   

12 minutes ago, Florian1 said:

I remember hearing about this from friends on blue side(I always played redside).   A couple Mind/ controllers and a scrapper "got confused" in RV and zoned into Atlas still confused.   They proceeded to attack all the low levels in the zone.   The trollers keeping themselves and the scrapper confused.   It was most likely very annoying for the "victim's",  but I couldn't stop laughing about it.   

I have to admit that I had a friend who confused my Tank once, I left RV ran straight for a massive mob of lowbies under Atlas and one shot them all with Foot Stomp. Good times, funny as hell, but not something that I am really proud of.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MrNotorion said:

I still have mine.

I have it packed away somewhere. As well as the COV collectors edition(s,) art book and all.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:57 AM, Doomguide2005 said:

No it was Pinnacle 🙂

Probably mid issue 3 or so, Khelds were a brand new thing.  I have a vague recollection of them explaining what AT they were.  

Y'know, I started on Pinnacle. I remember very distinctly being on a team back in i3, running Hollows missions, seeing a Kheld pop out of their mission in Nova form and going "I'm going to play one of those."

Haven't stopped playing khelds since.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I remember, (circa 2005-6) before difficulty settings were a thing, running with a PUG team into a large, multi-tiered room, with far, far too many Tsoo sorcerers (maybe 40% of the room).  3 hours later, and I don't remember how many team wipes, we cleared the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CursedSorcerer said:

Anyone remember when Fly didn't unlock until level 14 and if you wanted a "safe" way to get across the Hollows, you had to pick Hover?

I remember being a sidekicked level 6 on a team running deep in the Hollows.  Mission ended and the team broke up.  Took a ridiculous length of time for me to Hover out to the AP gate, but using the death express just seemed wrong to me.   But probably not as long as hovering all the way out to get my first look at the Storm Palace up close.  Or how long it took to get good at using the jump geysers in the Shards 🤪

17 hours ago, Hardship said:

Was the taxi brigade around on Victory? I don't remember using them and I DO remember creeping around the Hollows trying not to die -- a LOT!

I didn't do much on Victory.  I did know of taxi guilds on multiple other servers.  Even so, taxis were not always available, so yeah, running was a challenge.

• 2 months later